Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into a 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:07 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@S14Pwr: First of all, great handle! I have an '03 E39 M5 that I absolutely LOVE.

If you need a PPI on the 996 GT3, my company manages a network of Porsche techs who would travel out to a car for a full PPI. Let me know if we can help. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2018, 04:05 PM
vilfredo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Common issues? Not sure what you are talking about....

Old 02-23-2018, 05:42 PM
PorscheHusna
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by S14Pwr
I am new to Porsches all together but I have owned my fair share of E30 M3's and now I'm looking to make the move into the Porsche world. I am looking at a 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 in Houston Texas (Link attatched). What are the common issues with these vehicles and what should I look for or request from the dealer?
https://www.porschenorthhouston.com/...AC299X4S692903
S14Pwr, this is my car and I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have, give me a call, email or a PM.

John
Old 02-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Replace PCCB rotors?

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Also, I've read that the PCCB brakes are great but very expensive ($14K?) to replace. Might be worth checking into the condition of them.
I drove my car with PCCB rotors on the street for a short while, then the track bug bit. It's more like $5,000+ a corner from Porsche dealers selling on line. Many remove these speedy rotors and put them on the shelf, replacing them with iron rotors. In my case, I installed GIRO 2 piece rotors up front and 997 Turbo rotors on the rear, and added Pagid Pads.

Note, you must replace the rear rotors like for like. The PCCBs are 350 mm, stock GT3 iron rotors are 330mm: They will not work in the Yellow calipers, you'll need 350mm. Don't ask me how I learned this
Old 02-24-2018, 04:23 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not true about fittings even if street driven. You have AAA I hope.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I went out to the dealer over the weekend to check out a different car with my buddy. I asked about the red GT3 and was told there was a deposit down on it. I walked the car (but couldn’t get into it) and made some notes. It seems to be in decent shape. The front bumper was pretty rough, but it could’ve been the clear bra. The inside was in good shape for the mileage, although it looks like they put back in sport seats. This looked weird to me as there was a (non-factory) roll-bar with shoulder harnesses, but there didn’t appear to be any front harnesses, and no sub-pass through.

Car has cruise control. Good for a daily driver. Also has center console delete. Through the windows, the interior looked good. Center console wasn’t marred up and seats seemed fine. But, this could be a vestige of the dealer “detail” on the car.

There was dried crystal stuff under the car, which looked to me like old dry coolant. So, the car may have had a coolant pipe or fitting come loose. But, like I mentioned, I couldn’t get into the engine compartment to check. There weren’t any shiny parts that I could see (shiny things could be an indication of repairs or upgrades recently). Some of the suspension parts were previously upgraded at some point (like the rear control arms or toe links), but they were well used by this point.

Like many 996 GT3 cars, there was some evidence of oil seepage on the bottom of the engine. Exhaust appeared OEM. Wheels appeared OEM, with Sumitomos on them. Alignment didn’t look aggressive track to me.

Brakes are PCCB and looked to have life left in the pads, but I had no idea how to check the rotors other than to look at them and say, “yep, rotor.”

Car actually had very little evidence of the track time. Front fenders weren’t rolled much. Fender liners were all in great shape and the little plastic plug connectors were all there. No rubbing evidence I could see. Also, no tire rubber slag anywhere. Nothing in the wheel wells, none I could see in the radiators or the front bumper side (garbage collector) pods. This didn’t jive with the harnesses, but who knows.

Overall, the car looked well maintained based on the exterior walk. I took a few pics, if interested let me know.

-td
Old 02-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Coolant pipes

Originally Posted by S14Pwr
Thanks to everyone that replied! I do not plan on tracking the car so the welded or pinned hoses shouldn't be a concern for me. This will be just a fun weekend, cruiser for me. sorry if that disappoints any of you guys. lol
Maybe the need to pin of weld the pipes is an urban legend...but looking at the sticky thread at the top of the page....lots of people have had pipes fail, some with near or catastrophic results. I really didn't do my research as thoroughly as I should of and wasn't aware of the coolant pipe "challenge" as well as the cost of the PCCB rotors until after I bought the car. After reading and are-reading the sticky thread, I decided to have the pipes welded. About $3,000 later it was done. I also replaced the PCCB brakes with iron rotors. 350mm front and rear. I didn't want to be in the position to sell wifey on the need to spend $5,000 a corner for rotors, a real tough sell on the home front.

The cost to do the pipes is about what it costs to do the IMS on the 996 and Boxster. Should Porsche have paid for the repairs? I'd like to think so, but why should they in a strictly business sense. They can sell the cars they make as fast as they can get them through the assembly line. What is their incentive? Porsche did have a engine replacement program for greater named 996 motors a while back, that is long gone.

As a side note, when my welder barely put a torch over the coolant pipes, wanting to get them out of the engine to be replaced by the BBI upgrade, one of them nearly fell out. Its was in imminent failure mode. And noting that this car had not seen the track or super hot weather, and is a low mileage car, about 10,500 at the time, January of this year, 2018.

Considering that a good clean low mileage GT3 with no stories, DME or otherwise, sells for north of $70,000, investing $3,000 to protect your "investment" makes a lot of sense. It will also facilitate the sale, when in the future, it is time to sell the car. Would you buy a 996 lacking an IMS upgrade? Then why buy a 6GT3 with cooling pipes held into the block with 2004 glue, glue not up to today's standards for adhesives. And don't think you can just use super glue to tack in the pipes while the engine is on the car, the engine has too come out to provide access to the pipes.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you fixed them. Safety first. They all will fail. Street or track. Porsche & NHTSA didn't think critical enough. We've all come to live with that. Really sucks - but they are great cars.

Quick Reply: Looking into a 996 GT3