Sponsored by:

997.2 cup airbox in 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default 997.2 cup airbox in 996 GT3

You can tell it's winter and I'm bored and dreaming up projects.

Has anyone tried to install a 997.2 cup dual inlet airbox in their 996 GT3? Obviously the decklid needs to be cut for the provision of the second air opening but does the fan get in the way? I know for the 997.1 the fan isn't a blocker to this modification as many of those guys have done this on their 3.6 997.1 cars. I think I might have seen reference somewhere that that latch clearance might be an issue? Any other issues with alignment with the throttle body or adopting to the smaller throttle body on the 996 or would this require the 82mm throttle body to be successful?

Thanks for any input and for bouncing ideas around when it's cold out and I'm impatiently waiting for track season!!!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:51 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
You can tell it's winter and I'm bored and dreaming up projects.

Has anyone tried to install a 997.2 cup dual inlet airbox in their 996 GT3? Obviously the decklid needs to be cut for the provision of the second air opening but does the fan get in the way? I know for the 997.1 the fan isn't a blocker to this modification as many of those guys have done this on their 3.6 997.1 cars. I think I might have seen reference somewhere that that latch clearance might be an issue? Any other issues with alignment with the throttle body or adopting to the smaller throttle body on the 996 or would this require the 82mm throttle body to be successful?

Thanks for any input and for bouncing ideas around when it's cold out and I'm impatiently waiting for track season!!!
I have wondered the same thing myself. I owned a 997 RS and I never thought to open both hoods and check it out. There is a 997 GT3 in the shop now so will try to see what I can learn from it.

but your doing better than me with winter thoughts. I couldn’t stand it and bought a 991 GT3. Flying to Florida tomorrow to pick it up, take a mini vacation and drive it home.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by mmuller

I have wondered the same thing myself. I owned a 997 RS and I never thought to open both hoods and check it out. There is a 997 GT3 in the shop now so will try to see what I can learn from it.

but your doing better than me with winter thoughts. I couldn’t stand it and bought a 991 GT3. Flying to Florida tomorrow to pick it up, take a mini vacation and drive it home.
Congrats! Safe travels I'm sure there will be quite a few fun miles on that trip home.

Let me know if you find out anything on the airbox fit.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

Doesn't Dundon do something similar?

http://www.dundonmotorsports.com/por...n-fiber-airbox

Not cheap but looks very nice....
Old 02-13-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

It's a beautiful solution but it's single inlet and I'm not sure if he did that because there are restrictions to getting air into the second inlet in the cup box or if the thought process was most customers probably don't want to cut the decklid to get the 2nd opening. He does gain surface area on the filter with that cone setup and again it's beautiful but it's more than I'm looking to spend for what I'm after.

There's no point in throwing a dual inlet box in there if you can't seal it to the deck lid, otherwise you'll lose the effect of a pressurized airbox in the first place and it will just suck hot air from the engine bay.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:11 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Matt,

Congratulations! Did you get a 991.1 or 991.2? If 991.2, manual or PDK. Is it stock?

White?

Pics?
Old 02-13-2018, 03:14 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Andy,

I've heard that the larger throttle body alone results in no improvement. It needs a tune and headers (which I think you have).

So I'm not sure that intake air is an issue.

I got antsy this winter also. I'm throwing in a supercharger. GM motors are easy to mod.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:25 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Its a 991.1. It's more for the wife than me.

She gave up driving the last few years, only doing days here and there so she could do tower. This year she is Treasurer and does a huge amount to help our new business in the background. Then I go and almost die and she basically saved my life and got me back on track. So I decided I had to get her back on track because she really does love it. She drove Janice's car last year at WGI and got out and pronounced she was never driving my 6GT3 again as I had ruined it and she wanted one just like Janice. After looking at GTS Cayman's, New 911T (they look like they could be a fun car) I settled on a low mile 991.1 GT3. It's about her and the PDK was a big part of it as my 6GT3 is the only stick she drove and its a bit intimidating. I never intended to get a Guard's Red car, but I found the perfect 5K mile, 2015 in Florida.

Turns out my recovery is going slower than I hoped (but probably normal) and caged cars are still not a place I can be yet. So it looks like for certain events, the 991 will also be my track car, at least this year. Not sure which events yet.

Pics after we pic it up as I only have goofy dealer shots.

More on airbox's soon.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Andy,

I've heard that the larger throttle body alone results in no improvement. It needs a tune and headers (which I think you have).

So I'm not sure that intake air is an issue.

I got antsy this winter also. I'm throwing in a supercharger. GM motors are easy to mod.
Chuck, you need to update your signature.

Boosted GM motors are an interesting field. Hope you find the horsepower balance GM didn't find in the Z06.

We have had a few Vette's in the shop recently. Interesting car's and the evolution of their progress. The new cars should be very fast.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

I already have seen video of chuck's grand sport going 2:01 at VIR with a passenger in N/A form, it's going to be a beast with a blower on it.

Matt, sucks to hear the recovery isn't as quick as anticipated but keep your head in the right place and you will be back to form in no time.

On the airbox, I'm up in the air on if the bigger throttle body is much gain for our cars and mine is still stock, But Charles D reports decent gains from his airbox on cars where the exhaust is fully opened up. I had stock headers on my car still last year but that's in the process of changing which is why I'm curious if there's anything to be gained from the dual inlet cup airbox
Old 02-14-2018, 06:18 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

I have the plenum, larger throttle body and 997MAF housing as per Serge's 4L build https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ml#post8944225 together with larger diameter M&M exhaust and custom EVOMsIT tune. It does improve things but t's a lot of $$$$ for minimal gains looking back. Don't think I'd want to start testing/ cutting up decklids in addition to this. Dundon do require the thinner 997 fan in order to fit their box so that would be a minimum requirement for the OEM .2 box.

Last edited by Dervish; 02-14-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:04 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

So, in looking at a 6GT3 to a 7GT3 doesn't tell you much as the 7GT3 isn't really any different. I looked at a bunch of photos I have of my 7GT3RS (since I sold it last year I look at the actual thing anymore ) and my observation is that it would not be a good fit. Aside from need the smaller fan that Devish points out, you would also need to add a spacer of some kind to make up the distance between the inside of the deck lid and the air box. Even then, I am not sure you would properly achieve the desired goal. The easiest thing to do would be to get two new deck lids, a 6GT3 and a 7GT3RS, separate the two sides of the deck lid and then put the inside of the 7GT3RS deck lid onto the outside of the 6GT3 deck lid. You would also need to add the scoops to the upper deck lid to ensure there was adequate airflow into the air box.

So overall, based on my quick assessment, a pretty big job to achieve the proper end result is what I believe.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:42 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've got a 997.2 GT3RS Air Box laying around here that has been collecting dust and have also pondered with taking this on, but unfortunately haven't had the time to further explore this option. Also have a 4.0 here, will try and block off some time in the next few months to do comparing.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

sounds like I'm just going to focus on finishing up my exhaust project then just drive the thing. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quick Reply: 997.2 cup airbox in 996 GT3