Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuming in my own juices: Coolant Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:15 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Many of us have gone from 993 to 996 GT3. They have many similarities, and it is a natural evolution...just more of everything. They are both drivers cars.
Did I mention more expensive?
Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

"Did I mention more expensive?" And worth every penny...that first acceleration run to 8,000 RPM under WOT convinced me I had made the right decision. Ir's amazing what 100 more HP and monster brakes with a modern suspension can accomplish. It's unfortunate for some, that there are so few 6 GT3 MK2 cars to be had. How many were made for the NA market, 1,500 tops? That's not a lot of cars..especially compared to the 993 model run.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:36 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Completely agree. I still love the lines and stability of the 993, but I would not enjoy driving one on the track now that I have been to the promised land.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:19 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I'll add the LSD if I don't run out of money on the safety mods...the Cup brake ducts will be nice too, and a good alignment...maybe a 4 degree shim for the tail, and the Cup Car front rubber splitter.
Save money on the rotors (do the Centric throw-aways) and pads (PFC cheaper opex than Pagid as they last longer, just parroting what I've heard and read; I'm currently using a set of DS2500 for dual duty and they're even cheaper) to subsidize the LSD?

Aero can wait IMO.. get it later when you're confident.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Best mod I ever done was upgrading the lsd to guard for track. Stock internals don't last long if you doing quite a few trackdays per year. A grenaded stock internal pos brass will make your day at the track miserable. Unwanted rear end stability under braking i.e. Waggling rear end and severe lag powering out of turns. Mike
Old 01-23-2018, 02:02 PM
black04
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default The handling problems caused by worn LSD

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Best mod I ever done was upgrading the lsd to guard for track. Stock internals don't last long if you doing quite a few trackdays per year. A grenaded stock internal pos brass will make your day at the track miserable. Unwanted rear end stability under braking i.e. Waggling rear end and severe lag powering out of turns. Mike
Obviously you meant to say "Unwanted rear end instability under braking...."

But did you mean to say that the stock parts shattered (grenaded), causing the instability? or were the parts simply worn?

The reason I ask is because I rebuilt my LSD with stock parts and after just a few track days and 15,000 street miles over a few years and I'm wondering why the car doesn't handle like I remember. I have not researched it that much and I am not experienced driving the car hard. Posters state how important a good LSD is, but don't really seem to explain the type of handling problems caused by worn parts. So I appreciate your explanation.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:07 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by black04
Obviously you meant to say "Unwanted rear end instability under braking...."

But did you mean to say that the stock parts shattered (grenaded), causing the instability? or were the parts simply worn?

The reason I ask is because I rebuilt my LSD with stock parts and after just a few track days and 15,000 street miles over a few years and I'm wondering why the car doesn't handle like I remember. I have not researched it that much and I am not experienced driving the car hard. Posters state how important a good LSD is, but don't really seem to explain the type of handling problems caused by worn parts. So I appreciate your explanation.
Open worn out diff will give a sense of dog waving his tail under high speed braking, and lack of traction when you want to put power down out of corners.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:59 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Pretty much the internals are worn to point it's an open differential. Tail wagging rear end as one mentioned under high speed braking is very noticeable. You get nervous when it happens. Powering out of turns with a worn down internals feels like you're on 4th gear on a 2nd gear shift. You literally lose 3-4 seconds on a 2 minute track with a worn lsd. The rear engine placement of 911's makes it extremely noticeable. Mike
Old 01-23-2018, 04:11 PM
mistermct
Racer

doesn't directly answer handling question but explains fundamentals of what's happening underneath

cool vid on clutch pack LSDs:
Old 01-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Unfortunately the '6GT3 I bought a few weeks ago is at a shop 500 miles from me so I can't go see it
But the engine is out and coolant lines are being pinned, Guard 40/60 LSD going in.
Otherwise, mostly routine stuff which is still adding up to quite a bit.
New transmission mounts (Urethane Sport 60A) since one was broken and new motor mounts (hydraulic).
Replace water pump, rear main seal, plugs, ignition coils, coolant expansion tank, myriad hoses and seals.
They also found a small oil leak on top of the engine that was not visible (and not picked up in the two PPI's that were done on the car) so that's getting addressed too, quite a lot of labor for that.
The front fender liners are being replaced as they are cracked; brake air deflector on one side too.
Getting a new throw-out bearing, but the clutch is a practically new 997.2 part number and the DMF and pressure plate are hardly worn and have probably been replaced - so I'll leave them in for now.

I've been a little torn on the track vs street issue on the mounts and the flywheel.
But since the flywheel is in excellent condition I've decided to bias toward the street for now by staying with the DMF and not putting in semi-solid or solid mounts.
They can be changed later if I end up at the track a lot.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:52 PM
mistermct
Racer

Originally Posted by Rootwitch
Unfortunately the '6GT3 I bought a few weeks ago is at a shop 500 miles from me so I can't go see it
But the engine is out and coolant lines are being pinned, Guard 40/60 LSD going in.
Otherwise, mostly routine stuff which is still adding up to quite a bit.
New transmission mounts (Urethane Sport 60A) since one was broken and new motor mounts (hydraulic).
Replace water pump, rear main seal, plugs, ignition coils, coolant expansion tank, myriad hoses and seals.
They also found a small oil leak on top of the engine that was not visible (and not picked up in the two PPI's that were done on the car) so that's getting addressed too, quite a lot of labor for that.
The front fender liners are being replaced as they are cracked; brake air deflector on one side too.
Getting a new throw-out bearing, but the clutch is a practically new 997.2 part number and the DMF and pressure plate are hardly worn and have probably been replaced - so I'll leave them in for now.

I've been a little torn on the track vs street issue on the mounts and the flywheel.
But since the flywheel is in excellent condition I've decided to bias toward the street for now by staying with the DMF and not putting in semi-solid or solid mounts.
They can be changed later if I end up at the track a lot.

great shopping list. she's going to be sweet when you get her back. enjoy!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Pipe pinning pic helpful..here is my motor....
Old 01-25-2018, 12:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Completely agree. I still love the lines and stability of the 993, but I would not enjoy driving one on the track now that I have been to the promised land.
amen
Old 01-25-2018, 09:53 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So will your car make it to WSIR with the POC in February?
Old 01-26-2018, 02:13 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default WSIR in February

I will be there (WSIR), assuming I can get my rear brakes sorted out, converting from PCCB to iron, means I need 350mm rear rotors...not GIRO 2 piece...lose parking brake. Not going to lose parking brake....

Quick Reply: Fuming in my own juices: Coolant Pipes