Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum-103/)
-   -   Me, GT3 Euro seats, stock steering wheel :( (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/1040972-me-gt3-euro-seats-stock-steering-wheel.html)

Martin S. 12-28-2017 01:07 AM

GT3 Euro seats, stock steering wheel & Me Incompatible ..but...

Me, GT3 Euro seats, stock steering wheel :( It was a bad fit. I am 6'2" and 250 lbs, with beefy thighs....what a visual, sorry.

In my 993 I experienced the same problem, with the Euro GT3 seats and a stock wheel. In addition, the stock GT3 seats are a little tight for my butt. I just don't think these seats will work for me. Thank god I didn't lay out $3,000 to $4,000 for a pair.

In my 993, I replaced the stock 380mm wheel with a 350mm wheel and quick release from Rothsport...about $750. For a seat I had a Cobra Suzuka...I had adequate room and my thighs did not bang up against the steering wheel as they now do on the stock steering wheel.

So my question is, can anyone (You larger guys) recommend a race seat that provides a little more room...that I can use with a roll bar and 5 point harnesses?

I have explored every option I could uncover..the answer: RSS Roll bar & Recaro SPG XL. The RSS roll bar (Made in Costa Mesa, CA) came from Stable Energies in New Jersey (Smooth Transaction), and the Recaro SPG XL seat(s)** came from Terry Griffin and his seat man Chris Smith. Terry and Chris made some calls and found me seat #1 which will be here next week. If I decide for a second seat, it will be here in 6 weeks. This too was a very smooth transaction. Terry has been in the performance parts business for 37 years. Really glad to get this drama out of my life.

ScottArizona 12-28-2017 12:27 PM

Sparco evo 2. 6'4" 210 here. Fit great.

Martin S. 12-28-2017 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ScottArizona (Post 14696143)
Sparco evo 2. 6'4" 210 here. Fit great.

Luckily, the SPARCO office is in SoCal...I can do a test fitting. Great suggestion on the EVO II I started with that seat, back in the day, on my 993, no regrets on that one.

T10Chris 12-28-2017 02:19 PM

I've got Sparco Evo IIs in my car, and they're not as snug as I'd like for my size when on track (6' 170 lbs), but they are not so tight as to be uncomfortable on long drives on the road. I'll probably eventually sell them for something more aggressive or Euro seats, but I recommend giving a set of these a try.

KOAN 12-28-2017 09:42 PM

Love my Sparco Evo II also. Each year, they get a different name...Evo II Plus. I am using a Pro2000 now. They have a little more side support.

cgfen 12-29-2017 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Martin S. (Post 14696164)
Luckily, the SPARCO office is in SoCal...I can do a test fitting. Great suggestion on the EVO II I started with that seat, back in the day, on my 993, no regrets on that one.

stop by Sube Sport in Huntington Beach on the way south.
lottsa seats to try, a few sparco, many cobra , but no recaro.
good place to do business with
and
right next door to bbi if you need some eye candy.

dsu* 12-29-2017 06:08 AM

I have a pair of almost new Cobra Monocos in my 997 GT3 for 1 months, they are too wide for me. Let me know if you’re interested, I’m located in Irvine. Seats are in great condition

Matt Lane 12-29-2017 10:38 PM

Same situation. The Recaro SPG XL works for me.

Cheers

Matt

911mhawk 12-29-2017 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Lane (Post 14699079)

Cheers

Matt

These ^ are really nice seats, I almost bought a set for my 6'1" 200lb ass but found some Euro GT3s.
The XL SPG in cloth/Alcan may not have been as easy to get in and out of with dress clothes vs. the leather GT3s in case that matters to you.

steved0x 12-29-2017 11:03 PM

Cheers

Matt

Same for me, I have 2 of these in my Boxster, 6'2" 240# 34" inseam. I love them.

Martin S. 12-30-2017 01:14 AM

Thanks for the tip...checking into the SPG XL for sure!!!!

T10Chris 01-02-2018 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Price (Post 14697143)
Love my Sparco Evo II also. Each year, they get a different name...Evo II Plus. I am using a Pro2000 now. They have a little more side support.

yep mine are actually evo II plus.. realized that when I took the car out to play over the weekend.

Martin S. 01-02-2018 10:31 PM

Went up to Griffin Motorwerke in Berkeley, CA this AM, met with Terry Griffin, sat in a The Recaro SPG XL. OMG, what a fit, perfect...the good news. The bad news, they are on B.O., may be 45 days before Griffin gets another shipment. If you haven't met Terry and live in the Bay Area and in need of some upgrades for your car, Schroth belts, BBS wheels in addition to a four when dyno...check out Griffin. Talking to Terry is worth the price of admission, in addition to a car geek, a pro-photographer, been to dozens of Formula 1 races, Le Mans, you name it.

Griffin Motorwerke
1146 Sixth St.
Berkeley, CA 94710
(510) 524-7447

Thanks to one and all Rennlisters for their time and advice. Truly appreciated by yours truly.

PS: I have explored every option I could uncover..the answer: RSS Roll bar & Recaro SPG XL. The RSS roll bar (Made in Costa Mesa, CA) came from Stable Energies in New Jersey (Smooth Transaction), and the Recaro SPG XL seat(s)** came from Terry Griffin and his seat man Chris Smith. Terry and Chris made some calls and found me seat #1 which will be here next week. If I decide for a second seat, it will be here in 6 weeks. This too was a very smooth transaction. Terry has been in the performance parts business for 37 years. Really glad to get this drama out of my life.

REALGT3 01-10-2018 02:47 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ca2b6fd976.jpg

Cheers

Matt

recaro over sparco all day long. Installed with GMG brackets and sliders. I have plenty of room even with GMG half cage.

Martin S. 01-10-2018 11:12 AM

AIt all comes down to...

Recaro Profi SPG XL...got one coming from Griffin Motorwerkes in Berkeley, CA, along with Cantrell "low" side mounts and Recaro sliders. I also have a 320mm in dis. TechArt wheel. If I need more room, highly doubtful, the Carnewal steering wheel extended is another option.

Terry Griffin and his crew have been really helpful. Pleasure doing business with them. Terry has 36 years in the business..he knows what works. The Profi SPG XL seat was in short supply, Griffin was sold out...it seems the Profi SPG XL is a very popular seat as the population gets bigger and bigger. They found me one; it's on its way.

Once again, thanks to all that have helped me seek the "cure".