Sponsored by:

Car Died on me for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGT3
Likely failure due to ethanol in gasoline.
My guess, too.

The rubber hose split.

New pump and a two-year warranty.

127K miles and it runs strong.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Wayne K
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought I posted this question before but do not see it so will ask again. It was mentioned that a hose in a Saab fuel pump repair kit worked for the u shaped rubber hose that bursts on our pumps. Anyone know the part number for that Saab kit?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:59 PM
black04
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Red Herring Alert

Originally Posted by Marv
My guess, too.

The rubber hose split.

New pump and a two-year warranty.

127K miles and it runs strong.
Earlier you said your shop determined it was a bad pump.

It's unlikely that you can blame ethanol for a hose failure. Is that the original 14 yo pump? The rated submersible fuel hose has a limited life. The new pumps apparently have all plastic hose that somehow doesn't have the same problem.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:05 PM
black04
Racer

Originally Posted by Wayne K
Thought I posted this question before but do not see it so will ask again. It was mentioned that a hose in a Saab fuel pump repair kit worked for the u shaped rubber hose that bursts on our pumps. Anyone know the part number for that Saab kit?
I don't know about the Saab kit, but if it is a rubber hose, you are asking for trouble.

Other threads here recommended the plastic hose here. Similar to what the new/replacement pumps have. I am considering this preventive fix on my 04 car as well. This may be our best bet if we determine the correct diameter and length for that fix.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black04
Earlier you said your shop determined it was a bad pump.

It's unlikely that you can blame ethanol for a hose failure. Is that the original 14 yo pump? The rated submersible fuel hose has a limited life. The new pumps apparently have all plastic hose that somehow doesn't have the same problem.
Yes, it is the original pump.

Ethanol will degrade and break down rubber over time. I have no idea what the original composition of the failed hose is. It wouldn't surprise me if 10% Ethanol fuel over the years contributed to its failure.

Then again, as you pointed out, it's a 14-year old pump and like everything, increases in entropy.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

I don't know about the Saab kit, but if it is a rubber hose, you are asking for trouble.

Other threads here recommended the plastic hose here. Similar to what the new/replacement pumps have. I am considering this preventive fix on my 04 car as well. This may be our best bet if we determine the correct diameter and length for that fix.
If you are going through the trouble of removing the pump, replacing it with a new one may be a better bet. The hose isn't going to be the only failure point. It is a pump after all and moving parts do wear with use.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Wayne K
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recall reading in a related thread that a Porsche mechanic or parts person recommended Teflon fuel hose instead of rubber. I have no idea as to what length or type to use to make the curve needed. Stainless steel braided Teflon spiral hose might work if there is such a thing.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:51 PM
black04
Racer

Originally Posted by Marv
If you are going through the trouble of removing the pump, replacing it with a new one may be a better bet. The hose isn't going to be the only failure point. It is a pump after all and moving parts do wear with use.
True. The hose replace would work only if one did mostly local driving and wanted to replace his own hose for $8 vs the $400 pump.

Our pumps could last for 300,000 miles like our engines. Engines have a lot more moving parts but we don't replace those every 10 years or 100,000 miles ;-) Sure fuel pumps had a bad reputation from day one through the 1990's, but times have changed, thankfully.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 PM
ColoradoGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

13 years of Ethanol exposure. Yeah, that's the cause. Ha :-)

Besides, the OP states that his shop says it was the pump, not the hose.

After some research, I understand that the older 996 had original pumps with a short section of rubber hose. That submersible hose is only good for a few years. Posters who had split hoses and replaced it with more of the same hose had continuing problems (I have a 2005 Italian motorcycle that specifies that in-tank hose be replaced every 2 years.)

Newer Porsche pumps apparently have all plastic hoses, that don't have the limited lifetime
Yes correct.... if you want to split hairs, the pump may have been working still but that is a moot point. When that small hose splits, the pump is useless. So the entire "fuel pump" is replaced.
And yes, the new "fuel pump" does not have the rubber hose, but a plastic hose that supposedly will not fail due to the effects of the ethanol in the fuel.

If your GT3 is still running around with its original fuel pump, you may want to consider an immediate replacement. It is likely just a matter of time.
It's much easier to replace the fuel pump after you pull it into a garage under its own power.

My fuel pump rubber hose failed on the Nevada/California border on my drive from Colorado to Rennsport Reunion.
We pulled the fuel pump out right there at the intersection. The "pump" was still running, but that hose was split. I consider this a fuel pump failure.
The flatbed tow alone to Bakersfield Porsche from "Methville" California was $1400.
Cheers!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM
black04
Racer

[QUOTE=ColoradoGT3;14724237]Yes correct.... if you want to split hairs, the pump may have been working still but that is a moot point. When that small hose splits, the pump is useless. So the entire "fuel pump" is replaced.
And yes, the new "fuel pump" does not have the rubber hose, but a plastic hose that supposedly will not fail due to the effects of the ethanol in the fuel.

If your GT3 is still running around with its original fuel pump, you may want to consider an immediate replacement. It is likely just a matter of time.
It's much easier to replace the fuel pump after you pull it into a garage under its own power.

My fuel pump rubber hose failed on the Nevada/California border on my drive from Colorado to Rennsport Reunion.
We pulled the fuel pump out right there at the intersection. The "pump" was still running, but that hose was split. I consider this a fuel pump failure.
The flatbed tow alone to Bakersfield Porsche from "Methville" California was $1400.
Cheers![/QUOTE}
Ha! :-) You're right. It sure is easier to fix things before they break, 100 or 1000 miles from home. That's why I peruse Rennlist. :-)
I already stated that one would probably want to replace the pump rather than just the hose if they did not do all local driving, exactly because of towing.costs.
I already stated that using the "Saab kit" is a bad idea if the hose is rubber.
I already stated that a replacement plastic hose is available.

You seem to be the one splitting hairs.
You and any of us out there are welcome to replace the pump or any other parts, but it's not a moot point if someone chooses to replace the hose instead of the pump.

The fact remains it was a hose failure. Saying that you consider a split hose to be a pump failure doesn't make it true. That hose could have been anywhere in the fuel system.

AAA extended towing service is a wise choice because if it's not a rubber hose, it'll be something else.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 993 Posts

Here is a few pics of the latest revision pumps. I just got one in from Germany as none are available in the US. Hard to believe Porsche does not keep any here..

Old 01-21-2018, 09:18 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Looks like the first Jarvik artificial heart prototype.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep- I upgraded pump also.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How long does it take to replace one of these pumps.....?
Old 01-21-2018, 05:43 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,704 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
How long does it take to replace one of these pumps.....?
30 min

Quick Reply: Car Died on me for the first time