Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie DIY - Plugs, Coils, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 04:39 PM
Bmarti13
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rookie DIY - Plugs, Coils, etc...

So I finally tackled the Plugs, Coils, Oil Change, Air Filter, and Fuel Filter. Car runs so much better now. Better idle, boost, response, etc....
Huge thanks to this Rennlist, 6 Speed, Pelican DIY resources, You Tube, Kevin from UMW, and others.
The only work I have ever done on a Porsche (Boxster, 997 CarerraS) is an oil change, so this was a big step for me.

For those that are considering taking this on, please feel free to contact me with any questions. I feel like I need to 'give back' if I can help advise in any way.

The project took me about 10 hours total. But this included having to run out for tools unexpectedly, looking up every step along the way, labeling part bags to separate fasters, etc... I bet I can do the process in half the time on the next go around.
Some observations –
Cylinder #5 did not fit the updated 997 Beru Coil Packs. There is a pipe in the way that blocks the pack from fitting. I had to use a Dremel tool to shave some of the plastic off the coil pack for it to fit.
The heat shields are a PITA to get unscrewed and screwed in. I must have spent an hour trying to get these out.
Fuel filter – now that I have replaced, it seems easy, but that damn thing is so ‘wedged’ in there, and it took me a while to figure out how to get the plastic clip to attach back to the bracket. Finished the project at 1am last night and fired the car up and took her for a spirited drive.Attached are a few pics. Nothing exciting, but just to prove I did it!
I figured I saved over 1000 dollars in labor cost. I am going to put this money toward wheels, tires, tune and exhaust.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-17-2017, 06:01 PM
KenW
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Good Job!

Good for you, no doubt very satisfying!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:50 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Did you notice a difference with the new plugs?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:16 PM
black04
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I changed my plugs and washed my car. It runs so much better now.

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Did you notice a difference with the new plugs?
So he says, in the second sentence..
".... Car runs so much better now. Better idle, boost, response, etc...."

Of course this the same as, "I washed my car and it runs better" syndrome. If there were enough misfires to affect performance (and emissions), the Check Engine Light would have been on.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by black04

Of course this the same as, "I washed my car and it runs better" syndrome. If there were enough misfires to affect performance (and emissions), the Check Engine Light would have been on.
I was referring to the new plugs physically as the one new coil had fitment issues because of difference in size relative to the old ones...
Old 11-23-2017, 08:41 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by black04

Wrong.
If your turbo is tuned they eat plugs much quicker, especially if you track a lot and they're under full load more often than street/coffee. Proven this from experience several times, factory plug interval is too long IMO. Fresh plugs are noticicable even though the old plugs are not throwing codes.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:56 PM
Jferrante
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Wrong.
If your turbo is tuned they eat plugs much quicker, especially if you track a lot and they're under full load more often than street/coffee. Proven this from experience several times, factory plug interval is too long IMO. Fresh plugs are noticicable even though the old plugs are not throwing codes.
Yup +1

Quick Reply: Rookie DIY - Plugs, Coils, etc...