Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Came off Rotor

Old 10-23-2017, 10:37 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Caliper Came off Rotor

Well, I had an incident on the track where the caliper screws backed out of the left front upright and the caliper moved to the other side of the rotor. This broke the brake line, critically damaged the wheel, broke upright mount, flat tire, and scratched up the caliper. I was able to limp the car into the pits/paddock and loaded it on the trailer. The ABS light did come on, but hopefully just because the brake line was broken.

No one to blame besides myself. I did change the rotor a few days prior to the track event, and the two long screws were in tight, but apparently not enough. I did not notice any damage to either of the 2 screws.

Time to source the parts and fix it up for next season.
1. Wheel - had Volk T37 - I believe the wheel is shot. Tire went flat and will not hold any air. I would think it will be difficult to find a single front T37 wheel and will probably end up purchasing another set or rims new or used. I liked the value of the Volks - any suggestions?
2. Left front Brake line - That should be easy to source and fix. I need the line to the hydraulic port of the caliper. The metal bracket on the upright that holds the line is bent but could be probably bent back in place so the other end/connector fits in correctly to the brake line.
3. Upright - need to replace because top part is gone and top screw had nothing to grab. (996 341 657 91)?
4. Caliper - from a visual inspection it looks ok besides the missing paint. The part of the brake line that was in the hydraulic port screws out with out any effort. Any suggestions on what paint to purchase/process to touch it up. Not looking for concours quality, but something to make it look better.

Any suggestions for getting replacements or other things I should consider? Also, part # for brake line and confirm upright part #.
Attached Images     
Old 10-23-2017, 10:48 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Upgright with 996 part number is hard to come by now. Superseded by a 997 part number that is over $1000 more. I had a real problem sourcing one last year. Everywhere in the US was out and the superceded part was really expensive. I found one in France. I think Tonger got one as well, but they were very limited on stock.

Here's the site. https://www.rosepassion.com/en/sel

-td
Old 10-24-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Were the bolts torqued to spec (63 ft/lbs)? Not sure I'd take all the blame if i were you as those threads in the upright are known to be weak and pull out eventually. I had a similar issue on a rear but the damage was much less thankfully. Went back and put time serts in both rear uprights and have it on my list this off season to do the fronts too. This replaces the aluminum threads that are known to get weak with steel threads.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Were the bolts torqued to spec (63 ft/lbs)? Not sure I'd take all the blame if i were you as those threads in the upright are known to be weak and pull out eventually. I had a similar issue on a rear but the damage was much less thankfully. Went back and put time serts in both rear uprights and have it on my list this off season to do the fronts too. This replaces the aluminum threads that are known to get weak with steel threads.
Time serts! Good suggestion. [Much easier if to install you take the wheel carrier off.]

Also, caliper studs.

-td
Old 10-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Vanos13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Carrier

I'm also currently looking for an upright (aka "wheel carrier") and have found it extremely difficult to source. I'm specifically looking for the passenger front. PCNA told me the current estimate is that they will be available "week 44/45". This was originally week 41 but has gotten pushed twice with no details. Rose has a similar availability estimate.

I've heard that there may be some inventory laying around race shops but haven't had any luck actually locating the part. I'll let you know if I find anyone with a pair and would appreciate if you'd do the same.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Vanos13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by himself
Upgright with 996 part number is hard to come by now. Superseded by a 997 part number that is over $1000 more. I had a real problem sourcing one last year. Everywhere in the US was out and the superceded part was really expensive. I found one in France. I think Tonger got one as well, but they were very limited on stock.

-td
Is the superseded 997 part a direct bolt in with the same geometry and brake fitment? No one I've spoken to has suggested using the 997 (I assume gen 1 GT3) part.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Bummer, but glad you didn't lose the function to stop, parts are replaceable, glad you are safe.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

I did not check the torque setting, but they were pretty solid

Originally Posted by himself

-td
Ouch! Difficult to source and expensive. Need to find a race shop with a used part.

Last edited by rodneyr; 10-24-2017 at 01:34 PM. Reason: comment inside the quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:38 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

I called pelicanparts and asked them about sourcing an upright. They gave me a slightly different part number: 996-341-157-91. They did not have a picture on their website. The part is $570 which sounds a lot better than $1,000. I did a search on the part # and found the part on another website for $584. Is this the right part for a front left upright to mount the caliper?
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like GT2 part.

can't be THAT much different but Porsche made soo many little changes to the uprights for the various cars I'd be worried from one part number to another that they were't exactly the same unless you bought the pair.

...this is even with the superseded 997 part I swore they change the toe arm mount location on each of them a little bit as they evolved.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Vanos13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rodneyr
I called pelicanparts and asked them about sourcing an upright. They gave me a slightly different part number: 996-341-157-91. They did not have a picture on their website. The part is $570 which sounds a lot better than $1,000. I did a search on the part # and found the part on another website for $584. Is this the right part for a front left upright to mount the caliper?
I was told by Porsche that the right part number for the passenger side is 996 341 158 91 so your number looks right for the driver side. A few weeks ago I spoke to both Pelican and Auto Atlanta and neither had a passenger side unit. Maybe you'll get lucky on the driver side.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vanos13
I was told by Porsche that the right part number for the passenger side is 996 341 158 91 so your number looks right for the driver side. A few weeks ago I spoke to both Pelican and Auto Atlanta and neither had a passenger side unit. Maybe you'll get lucky on the driver side.
Maybe I will get lucky. I just want to confirm with one of my local shops that does a lot of work on GT3 then I will pull the trigger. Hopefully, the part will still exist.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:34 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,699 Likes on 989 Posts

Looks like GT2 part.

can't be THAT much different but Porsche made soo many little changes to the uprights for the various cars I'd be worried from one part number to another that they were't exactly the same unless you bought the pair.

...this is even with the superseded 997 part I swore they change the toe arm mount location on each of them a little bit as they evolved.
996GT2/GT3/Cup = same exact part. 157 drivers side, 158 pass side
Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Vanos13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by powdrhound
996GT2/GT3/Cup = same exact part. 157 drivers side, 158 pass side
Okay, now I'm really confused. Is the cup part actually the same as the street part?

There's this EBAY listing that reports to be a 996 Cup upright.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Porsche...-/292211958137

Confusingly, the photo shows a part number of 996.341.658.91, which is different than the street part. However, the description says the part number is 996.341.158.91.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,699 Likes on 989 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanos13
Okay, now I'm really confused. Is the cup part actually the same as the street part?

There's this EBAY listing that reports to be a 996 Cup upright.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Porsche...-/292211958137

Confusingly, the photo shows a part number of 996.341.658.91, which is different than the street part. However, the description says the part number is 996.341.158.91.
Same part... the 658 number stamped into the upright is not the part number.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caliper Came off Rotor