Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SW tune for O2 sensor CEL

Old 02-20-2018, 08:58 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
Default SW tune for O2 sensor CEL

I installed a Fabspeed bypass x-pipe to save my still-functional cats for the rainy day I may actually need them. Car sees mostly track, so a reasonable compromise. Exhaust is otherwise stock.

I get the resultant CEL and would like to get that disabled. At the same time, I wouldn't mind any benefits from an ECU tune (a few HP? Better driveability?).

I can reliably get 93 octane, and assuming the knock sensor is retained, I guess I would tune for that.

Looking for recommendations here on vendors that you have had good experiences with in this application. Any verified dyno would be a plus. Likewise any words of wisdom or considerations I should keep in mind.

Thanks

Matt
Old 02-20-2018, 09:37 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you tried o2 extenders on the secondary sensors? It's literally an extension for the sensor that has a small hole drilled in it. We built them for my car with no cats on it and the only time in 5 years I got a CEL is when I would drive on the highway for more than 20 min at a steady speed and low RPM
Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I installed a Fabspeed bypass x-pipe to save my still-functional cats for the rainy day I may actually need them. Car sees mostly track, so a reasonable compromise. Exhaust is otherwise stock.

I get the resultant CEL and would like to get that disabled. At the same time, I wouldn't mind any benefits from an ECU tune (a few HP? Better driveability?).

I can reliably get 93 octane, and assuming the knock sensor is retained, I guess I would tune for that.

Looking for recommendations here on vendors that you have had good experiences with in this application. Any verified dyno would be a plus. Likewise any words of wisdom or considerations I should keep in mind.

Thanks

Matt
Try Steve Maase Engineering in Fl.
He "specializes" in Ferrari, but did a fine job for me on the exact same issue for my 360.
And
I think the ECU is the exact same form factor.
Worth a call if he has something for our GT3s.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - I tried extenders, but the model I had on hand was not the right shape and fitment interfered so I was not able to test them. I heard they are marginal (may or may not work) so I put that idea on the back burner. Maybe need to try again. And thanks Craig for the referral.

Getting a re-map only makes sense if there is also something to gain, either HP/Torque with better drivability/throttle response.

So maybe that's the real question - assuming a 93 octane tune, is there anything on the table here (assuming stock intake and exhaust other than the x-pipe cat baypass).

Cheers

Matt
Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Rootwitch
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

So maybe that's the real question - assuming a 93 octane tune, is there anything on the table here (assuming stock intake and exhaust other than the x-pipe cat baypass).
I'm not really knowledgeable about these things ... so FWIW ... the GT3 I just bought has a complete Cargraphics exhaust and EVOMSit 93 octane tune.
I called the EVOMSit folks and asked about it and they said that setup would add about 40 hp.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

Thanks

Matt
are u running stock exhaust with catbypass? If so I had the cel come on on steady hw driving but no apparent drivability issues but you see the idiot light. I changed the stock exhaust to fab system with the cat bypass - never a cel and no extenders too. If running stock exhaust with cat bypass the most annoying thing is the whooshing sound lifting off the throttle like stock exhaust was very restrictive in flow. Very noticeable in indoor parking lots.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:20 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if you tune out the secondary O2 sensors then emissions becomes an issue if you have to pass them. look into cobb tuning best bang for the buck in tuning a mezger motor on stock dme
Old 02-22-2018, 03:40 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if you tune out the secondary O2 sensors then emissions becomes an issue if you have to pass them. look into cobb tuning best bang for the buck in tuning a mezger motor on stock dme
Cobb doesn't offer anything for the 996 GT3, I've asked several times they have no plans on adding it to their offerings either.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Yeah, these are really low production cars in the grand scheme of things. There must only be a handful of vendors that have bothered to do it (properly), if at all.

Cheers

Matt
Old 02-24-2018, 08:43 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6

are u running stock exhaust with catbypass? If so I had the cel come on on steady hw driving but no apparent drivability issues but you see the idiot light. I changed the stock exhaust to fab system with the cat bypass - never a cel and no extenders too. If running stock exhaust with cat bypass the most annoying thing is the whooshing sound lifting off the throttle like stock exhaust was very restrictive in flow. Very noticeable in indoor parking lots.
Cool - can you elaborate on what you changed with the rest of the Fabspeed kit - headers, mufflers, or both? And did you try to upgrade your SW to take advantage of the increased flow?

Cheers

Matt
Old 02-24-2018, 10:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

^I started with fabspeed catbypass(old non xpipe) and was bolted onto my stock exhaust. Main focus was trying to lighten up the rear. As described in original post with the less restrictive cat bypass the stock mufflers was restricting the flow via the stock mufflers ie I hear that whooshing sound if I lift off the gas and very audible when in an indoor parking lot. Drove for say 3 months and yep the dreaded cel would come on on steady state highway driving but no change in drivability like going in limp mode kinda thing. So bought the fabspeed Maxflow system(muffs only- no headers) for less weight. For whatever reason the cel never triggered and all o2 sensors are in the factory locations without extenders. As far as tune I never done any tune on the car. Did dyno with mce engineering at thill. I got you map somewhere after this was done(Didn't do any baseline with stock parts). If I find it I'll post. Mike
Old 02-25-2018, 10:47 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

i mentioned cobb since their accessport datalogs as well. if they arent up to the task any tuner can disable the rear O2 sensor. the problem is if you have to pass emissions. the car wont. so your left with j tubes or a high flow cat system and leave the sensors turned on. the issue isnt with the mufflers its with cats. the reading from pre cat to post cat has to change or it sets a code
Old 02-25-2018, 09:03 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt,

Did you try Cargraphic in Germany?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SW tune for O2 sensor CEL