Sponsored by:

Handful of random GT3 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:26 PM
greencalex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handful of random GT3 questions

1) Was the central-vert console delete an option, or was it a standard feature of the GT3s? I.e., would the delete show-up as an option code, or would the inclusion of the vertical console be the option?

2) Do the GT3s usually have the same options-codes sticker under the front hood as the regular 996s?

3) Is there anyway to adjust the ride height of a GT3 without swapping-out suspension components?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

1. not sure what u mean
2. there is a white option stickder but not always on hood some ppl stick it to service booklet
3. yes.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

1) don't think it was an option for the US. You're talking about the cd/cubby hole thing rt?
2) I think there was 2. One for hood and one in glovebox ie dealer or whoever stuck extra sticker to hood
3) yep including adjustable front/rear swaybars. Mike
Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 PM
greencalex
Instructor

1) Yes, I'm talking about the vertical part of the central console that connects the part with the shifter on it to the dash where the climate controls normally go (usually there are cubbies in that vertical part). Many GT3s don't have that vertical section, so there is just empty space between the central shift tunnel, and the dash. On many of the 996 cars, there was an option code for having the factory not install that vertical section, so my question was whether one should expect that code if a GT3 does not have that vertical section.

2) So I thought the sticker under the hood was put there by the factory. Does some one have a factory-original car that does not have the sticker?

3) So is changing the ride height something that is hard to do? How is it accomplished without changing the springs?
Old 09-16-2017, 10:44 PM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Most 996 / 986 cars had the option code sticker glued onto the underside of the hood, though I believe the practice stopped from the 997 series. An identical sticker is adhered in the service book that comes with the car.
Its a good ID that if the sticker is missing on these early cars the hood has been painted at some stage......

The correct ride height(s) can be achieved by adjusting the spring "perch" by screwing the adjusting ring and lockring up and down the shock body. If you look at the shock, about half the exposed part of the body is threaded - that's how you achieve the required ride height.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

1) I think remembering this that there are two stickers(I had one on hood and another in glove box)- who stuck it to hood I do not know.
2) I think row cars had that option with that console delete particularly if they had the clubsport option(maybe part of package and not singular)
3) If you got alignment experience or just being a wrencher but gotta say best left alone who do alignments for the gt3. Mike
Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 AM
greencalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
Most 996 / 986 cars had the option code sticker glued onto the underside of the hood, though I believe the practice stopped from the 997 series. An identical sticker is adhered in the service book that comes with the car.
Its a good ID that if the sticker is missing on these early cars the hood has been painted at some stage......

The correct ride height(s) can be achieved by adjusting the spring "perch" by screwing the adjusting ring and lockring up and down the shock body. If you look at the shock, about half the exposed part of the body is threaded - that's how you achieve the required ride height.
So the comment about the 997 is interesting. I was looking at a car that did not have the sticker and was also thinking that it may have had something happen to the hood, but it is a 2005, and thus, would have overlapped with 997 practices.

But I guess my question still stands, does anyone know of a factory original hood that does not have the sticker on it?

Thanks to all for the info about the ride height. I was trying to find out whether claims that the car was both "lowered" and "factory original" could be legit.

Still hoping that someone without the vertical central console can tell me definitively whether one should expect an option code to go along with that.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

My stock '04 996 GT3 has the option sticker just behind the hood latch.

Now, these cars are getting up there and it's possible that those stickers can get loose or be removed by an owner.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:43 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

The pos sticker(it's just paper with adhesive back) is not even waterproof- looks like crap if wet. Anyway are you looking at a particular car to purchase hence the questions : )? Mike
Old 09-17-2017, 02:24 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

3) yes. The original bilstein are not easy on the rear as you may need to pre-load the spring as the upper rings determine ride height.
Steps: buy PB blaster, spray coil over threads and clean. Spray to penetrate. Sit 24 hrs.
Mark current location and make measurements from top of spring to rings and between rings for reference. Use a 2lb mallet and a butt metal tool to loosen the lowest ring(s). Adjust right height up or down. If you change to much, may need to adjust the sway bar attachment.
For front, bottom ring determines ride height. May need to free from lower assembly before loosen ring. Release bolt on the back where coilovers sits inside assembly. To adjust sway bar, Then you need to take off the brake caliper, in order to lower A arm assembly so coil over is free.

For rear, I think it is the upper rings that determine ride height which also pre-loads the spring.
Check sway bar attachment. No need to remove calipers on rear. Remover lower bolt and swing inward to remove coilovers. Make adjustment and reinstall.
Here is a picture of the bilstein in a box and on the rear.
Attached Images  

Last edited by tgavem; 09-17-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:34 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

another photo
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2017, 05:15 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

If you are looking to buy, post link to add as many here will be able to tell you who owned the car and how it was driven.

2005, a only 250 so so car imported to the US and no overlap to the 997 GT3 as first model was 2007. I have the option sticker under my hood.
Typically, the mods you are referring too, center console delete and lowered are done by a track enthusiast.
Step 1: post VIN and add here.
Step 2: make sure you get a good inspection before purchase including rev history and paint thickness.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:35 PM
greencalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by tgavem
If you are looking to buy, post link to add as many here will be able to tell you who owned the car and how it was driven.

2005, a only 250 so so car imported to the US and no overlap to the 997 GT3 as first model was 2007. I have the option sticker under my hood.
Typically, the mods you are referring too, center console delete and lowered are done by a track enthusiast.
Step 1: post VIN and add here.
Step 2: make sure you get a good inspection before purchase including rev history and paint thickness.

Actually am helping a friend shop, but at this point, am just trying to educate myself as I look at different examples that are for sale.

The car that prompted the question about the options sticker is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Porsche...BZudlE&vxp=mtr
Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^ the sticker option under hood is usually behind the hood luck. You can't determine if it's there by those pics on eBay unless you contacted seller about it. If contacted have him look for the other sticker in glovebox. There should be two if not affixed to hood. Mike
Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 PM
greencalex
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^ the sticker option under hood is usually behind the hood luck. You can't determine if it's there by those pics on eBay unless you contacted seller about it. If contacted have him look for the other sticker in glovebox. There should be two if not affixed to hood. Mike

Seller claims that car is without any manuals or stickers of any kind.

In any case, the car is too far away for me to go and look at before the auction ends.

I'm starting to conclude that the sticker ought to be there, in which case the history of the car seems like it is likely incomplete (no accident listed, but a bump at some point seems likely).

Quick Reply: Handful of random GT3 questions