Sponsored by:

Night driving with standard headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 02:52 PM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night driving with standard headlights

Straight ahead visibility with the high beams is fine, in my opinion. However there are large dark spots about 30 degrees to the left and right which limit visibility into the corners. These spots tend to make each corner almost blind. I wonder if there is a way to adjust the lights to reduce this problem. Any ideas?
Old 11-27-2003, 04:52 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should at least have the aiming of the headlights checked. Aiming them properly is the best thing you can do short of replacing them with Xenon's at great cost. FWIW, Porsche's standard Halogen headlights are not known to be more than just adequate.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:27 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 531 Posts

The Xenons on my car seem pretty good but were aimed low from the factory. Of all the cars I've had, BMW's have always had the best headlights. The M3 I traded for the GT3 had bi-xenons that were fantastic. Even the standard lights on my previous 5 and 3 series bimmers were always superior to any Porsche...
Old 11-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by skl
The Xenons on my car seem pretty good but were aimed low from the factory. Of all the cars I've had, BMW's have always had the best headlights. The M3 I traded for the GT3 had bi-xenons that were fantastic. Even the standard lights on my previous 5 and 3 series bimmers were always superior to any Porsche...
Absolutely! BMW has the best headlights in the business. Even the standard Halogen variety can be better than some others' Xenon's.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I agree on three points. The halogen lights on the 996 are marginal. Re-aiming them helps. BWM has the best head lamps.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:56 AM
mds
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the headlights this evening. Both the low and high beams have a relatively sharp light cutoff to the sides of the car. I think this is due to the fact that the bulbs are recessed well back within the light fixture, and so light that would otherwise exit to the sides of the car is blocked by the edges of the fender at about 30 degrees to the left and right. Visibility beyond that point to the sides is basically nil. From the drivers position this looks like a big dark spot to the left and right. As a result visibility into tight corners is compromised IMO.

Quick Reply: Night driving with standard headlights