Coolant temperature has never run so low. - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums



996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant temperature has never run so low.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Barn996
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Barn996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kittery, Maine
Posts: 11,545
Default Coolant temperature has never run so low.

Since my purchase in 2006, my '99 coupe has never run this cool, not even in winter. Just took a 25 mile spirited drive on back twisty roads and my coolant temp. never got over 80 degrees celsius(176 F). I had been postponing a water pump and thermostat(low temp. from Jake Raby) replacement and a coolant flush for awhile, but now that has been done and I no longer have 90-95 degree celsius temperatures. My WP and thermostat were original with 74k miles. There were no leaks or signs of WP failure, but I won't wait as long next time. I rarely drive my Porsche without displaying the coolant temperature, but I may now with much cooler operating temperatures.Nothing that earth shattering, but I thought I'd share my results.
Barn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Schnell Gelb
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,074
Default

Great data point in favor of LTT. Oddly ,there are some who are still skeptics about the LTT.
Did you also clean the gap between the radiators and condensers ?Just wondering if that contributed to your positive result.
To give others further encouragement to optimize the cooling system - see the Threads were the actual temperature of the hottest part of the system is contrasted to the gauge reading.
Schnell Gelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 16,499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb View Post
Great data point in favor of LTT. Oddly ,there are some who are still skeptics about the LTT.
Did you also clean the gap between the radiators and condensers ?Just wondering if that contributed to your positive result.
To give others further encouragement to optimize the cooling system - see the Threads were the actual temperature of the hottest part of the system is contrasted to the gauge reading.
Amazing the OP's 996 engine lasted 74K miles with that bad old factory T-Stat in there.

And the LTT recommendation ignores the results of industry testing over the years that has found engine wear increases with a decrease in operating temperature and engine performance (and fuel economy) improve with an increase in operating temperature.

But the OP's engine didn't blow in his test drive so the LTT science is settled then.
Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
fpb111
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
fpb111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 4,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Amazing the OP's 996 engine lasted 74K miles with that bad old factory T-Stat in there.

And the LTT recommendation ignores the results of industry testing over the years that has found engine wear increases with a decrease in operating temperature and engine performance (and fuel economy) improve with an increase in operating temperature.

But the OP's engine didn't blow in his test drive so the LTT science is settled then.
Somebody touch a nerve?
fpb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Barn996
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Barn996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kittery, Maine
Posts: 11,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb View Post
Great data point in favor of LTT. Oddly ,there are some who are still skeptics about the LTT.
Did you also clean the gap between the radiators and condensers ?Just wondering if that contributed to your positive result.
To give others further encouragement to optimize the cooling system - see the Threads were the actual temperature of the hottest part of the system is contrasted to the gauge reading.
I have cleaned between condensers and radiators before, but not recently, and it's probably due. Headed for a quick round trip to Conn. at the end of this month, so I'll be able to rack up 350 mi. or so and monitor how hot the coolant temp.gets on the highway.
Barn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Barn996
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Barn996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kittery, Maine
Posts: 11,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Amazing the OP's 996 engine lasted 74K miles with that bad old factory T-Stat in there.

And the LTT recommendation ignores the results of industry testing over the years that has found engine wear increases with a decrease in operating temperature and engine performance (and fuel economy) improve with an increase in operating temperature.

But the OP's engine didn't blow in his test drive so the LTT science is settled then.
Ouch! Guess I'll have to modify my 996 modes of failure and add increased engine wear to the list. Oh, and more trips to the gas station of course. Never claimed LTT science in my original post Mac, but feel free to draw your own conclusions. Where did I recommend a LTT?
Barn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Barn996
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Barn996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kittery, Maine
Posts: 11,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpb111 View Post
Somebody touch a nerve?


Evidently...
Barn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
shawn_nj
User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 47
Default

I have same results with my water pump and LN LTT swap. Put 2500 hot summer traffic commuting miles on since and its running great. No noticeable dif in fuel consumption. I will say the trans shifts on my TIP have gotten very noticeably smoother then when it was at temp with OE therm. Esp between into first, 2 to 3, and 3 down to 2. I am very happy with it so far.
shawn_nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
Volkert
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Posts: 196
Default

Same here. Temperature settles during driving at 82C (LTT fully open) and with airco on will stay during city driving between 82-86C. With airco off it will go up obviously because then the fans are off. No LN thermostat so I believe it is a Wahler. Does the same as far as I can observe.

With the location of the thermostat where it is the engine will be running at a somewhat higher temperature then indicated. Seems totally OK to me!
Volkert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
mlee2122
User
 
mlee2122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Posts: 38
Default

I did my LTT swap last week. I was constantly running at 186F at cruising and 197F in traffic (with fans on). Now i run 174F at cruising speed and 186F in heavy traffic with fans on. On days over 90+F i was running up to 204F in traffic and now it's at 192F.
mlee2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Paul Waterloo
User
 
Paul Waterloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,725
Default

I put in a LN LTT and new water pump last year, had no change in readings on the dash. I find this thread interesting and most who put in the LTT do not see any changes in readings, it just opens sooner.
Paul Waterloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
Barn996
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Barn996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kittery, Maine
Posts: 11,545
Default

Looks like we're all going to be suffering failing engines soon, right Mac? Nice to have some input. Thanks guys.
Barn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #13
mlee2122
User
 
mlee2122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Battle Ground, WA
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo View Post
I put in a LN LTT and new water pump last year, had no change in readings on the dash. I find this thread interesting and most who put in the LTT do not see any changes in readings, it just opens sooner.
I have a OBD2 scanner/guage installed and it gives digital readouts which is more precise then the dash guages. Before LTT the dash needle would sit between "8" and "0" (which is 186F on digital). Now it sits just a hair left of the line mark above the "8" (which is 174F on digital).
mlee2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
Sneaky Pete
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Sneaky Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mooresville, IN (Life Long Cheesehead)
Posts: 5,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpb111 View Post
Somebody touch a nerve?
I think his boxsters have given him a hinder-binder......

Great report Steve!
Sneaky Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #15
dporto
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
dporto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: L.I. NY
Posts: 2,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn996 View Post
Since my purchase in 2006, my '99 coupe has never run this cool, not even in winter. Just took a 25 mile spirited drive on back twisty roads and my coolant temp. never got over 80 degrees celsius(176 F). I had been postponing a water pump and thermostat(low temp. from Jake Raby) replacement and a coolant flush for awhile, but now that has been done and I no longer have 90-95 degree celsius temperatures. My WP and thermostat were original with 74k miles. There were no leaks or signs of WP failure, but I won't wait as long next time. I rarely drive my Porsche without displaying the coolant temperature, but I may now with much cooler operating temperatures.Nothing that earth shattering, but I thought I'd share my results.
I added the third radiator over the winter and just put the LTT and a new water pump in mine a couple weeks ago (MY99 3.4l). I've noticed very little if any difference in overall operating temp. (according to the dash gauge) i'll have to look closer at actual coolant temps in Durametric to tell if there's any real difference (I think I have a baseline from before I did the T-stat and waterpump). In my mind if the earlier opening t-stat smooths out any hot spots while the engine is warming up then it has done it's job.
dporto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: