Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What Failure Diagnoses Require Engine Drop/Glitter in Oil

Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 AM
leoj65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with everything above and was well aware how much difficulty there will be getting any warranty company to pay for any major repair... I am going to jump through the hoops until I get a rejection of my claim for whatever reason, then decide what to do. Gonna be hard for them as almost everything touched by oil is covered. I am thinking preexisting condition will be their angle... Just got to get to that point. Hopefully another shop will be able to offer some non-takedown, incremental diagnosis plan to find the problem and get there. Broken tensioner bits in the pan, scored bores etc..

Last edited by leoj65; 03-06-2020 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:18 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Don't let the warranty company off the hook so easily. Even if they play the preexisting condition card, they told you to keep on trucking. They are now partly responsible. It sounds like there is real void in this business for either a car guy lawyer to go after these scum or a good insurance company (but it's likely to be unaffordable).

Sadly the best option is Jakes rainy day fund suggestion.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 AM
leoj65
Instructor

Oh if I get a rejection it will be going to arbitration...

Covered parts:

A. DIAMOND PREMIER covers the following listed components under section IV part A.
1. Gasoline/Diesel Engine: Cylinder block, cylinder head(s) if damage by internally lubricated parts. The following internally
lubricated parts including: pistons, piston rings and pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearings,
camshaft and bearings, pushrods, rocker arms, rocker arm shaft, rocker arm pivots, cylinder head intake & exhaust valves,
valve keepers, valve retainers, hydraulic and solid valve lifters, cam followers, oil pump, timing chain, and crankshaft gear.
Harmonic balancer, metal valve covers, metal timing cover, and metal oil pan (if damaged caused by failure of internally
lubricated covered parts); seals and gaskets during rebuilding, cylinder head gaskets, engine vacuum pump, and engine mounts.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Good luck. What a bunch of worthless bastards!!!!!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by leoj65
Oh if I get a rejection it will be going to arbitration...

Covered parts:

A. DIAMOND PREMIER covers the following listed components under section IV part A.
1. Gasoline/Diesel Engine: Cylinder block, cylinder head(s) if damage by internally lubricated parts. The following internally
lubricated parts including: pistons, piston rings and pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and rod bearings,
camshaft and bearings, pushrods, rocker arms, rocker arm shaft, rocker arm pivots, cylinder head intake & exhaust valves,
valve keepers, valve retainers, hydraulic and solid valve lifters, cam followers, oil pump, timing chain, and crankshaft gear.
Harmonic balancer, metal valve covers, metal timing cover, and metal oil pan (if damaged caused by failure of internally
lubricated covered parts); seals and gaskets during rebuilding, cylinder head gaskets, engine vacuum pump, and engine mounts.
Do keep us posted. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:50 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my aftermarket warranty covered the head gasket replacements on my subarus. $2000-$3000 job. all I had to pay was a $100 deductible.

ymmv
Old 07-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless I am missing something or words "warranty" escape my understanding...why don't you drive the car and if it blows up, you use the warranty.

Right now your car is driving fine, and you have the warranty. Drive the life out of the car, and use the warranty when/if it breaks. Warranty people told you to keep driving the car, oblige them and drive the car. This neurotic posting is ridiculous. Go get in the car, warm the car up, get to the light, bring revs to 6,000 RPM, drop the clutch, redline first four gears. Get some testosterone going.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 PM
leoj65
Instructor

So metal in the oil no big deal? It's running fine..... Warranty will cover it if it fails for sure..... Pls.

No hysterics, just trying to get some technical advice on how to find the cause without pulling the motor.

Thanks!

Last edited by leoj65; 07-17-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:07 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the warranty will cover the engine if it fails, it sounds like they're offering to pay for a new crate engine if it fails. They've had their shot to save potentially a few grand. Don't save them money at your expense.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

21 out of my 29 documented modes of failure will create "glitter" in the oil. The size, shape, color, and quantity of the debris is the key
And that is why I sold my 996C2 and got a Turbo.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm looking forward to the oil analysis report, interested in seeing that.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Richard Jenkins
Track Day

Thank you for your response.

I assume to visually verify the bad crank bearings = engine out and split the cases?
There is a knock at start that goes away in 10-20 secs. Didn't start until last few miles, I took it to the dealer who said it was normal as did the warranty company. This was shortly before the the metal in oil problem.

Even with the metal in oil found later, the warranty company told me to change the oil and drive it until I got other indications... When I asked for a verifying statement in an email, I got a call saying a teardown was authorized.., but at my expense. I had to verify by the contract that the teardown would be paid for if a covered item was the final cause.

Hence my desire to verify the cause with the minimum of cost anticipating pushback from the warranty people.
Read your warranty for a total loss clause. I think most have them. If the damage exceeds the value of the car they have to pay nothing. A bliwn motor may be just what they want.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:16 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

So metal in the oil no big deal? It's running fine..... Warranty will cover it if it fails for sure..... Pls.

No hysterics, just trying to get some technical advice on how to find the cause without pulling the motor.

Thanks!
An oil analysis would give you a good idea.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:28 PM
leoj65
Instructor

Oil Analysis
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
99 911-170610.pdf (18.4 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by leoj65; 03-06-2020 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM
leoj65
Instructor

Been deciding what to do but finally just took the car in and had the oil pan dropped to see what's in it with faint hopes of pointing to something I can show to the warranty company. Would have just done it myself but that's an automatic void. Found gunk, two non ferrous metal flakes and 6 plastic pieces that aren't completely black and kinda translucent (variocam guide?.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1reK5EPyf9OHZwdnQwYV8xcFE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1reK5EPyf9blJNd2piUHZSNjQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1reK5EPyf9SEhpMUppVnFVMG8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file//0B1reK5EPyf9OXlWUkpSN0ZPZjA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d0B1reK5EPyf9Qkh1VFk2cW1CTUU/view?usp=sharing

The metal flake is polished on one side and rough on the other. Completely nonmagnetic.

Also same tiny sparkles in oil.

Not going to pay to teardown the engine to find cause as most likely won't be covered by warranty.

Last edited by leoj65; 03-06-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Failure Diagnoses Require Engine Drop/Glitter in Oil