996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

No Sound from CDR-210 Becker Radio

Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts
Default No Sound from CDR-210 Becker Radio

I am now getting around to investigating the lack of function of the original Becker CDR-210 in my 90k mile 99 C2. The initial issue was that the face plate would lose power if you did not keep a little pressure on it. I fixed that by removing the spring loaded metal hinged "guard" that protects the connectors on the base unit, moving the spring arm behind the bar the guard pivots on and re-installing the guard. This removed the spring force that was pushing on the back of the head unit. I also cleaned up the plastic tabs. The detachable head unit now works, but I am not getting any sound out of the speakers. I have never gotten any sound out of the speakers.

I also disassembled the head unit and swapped the volume button plungers with a couple of the other micro switches. All of the micro switches felt the same when I pushed them by hand.

I can change radio stations, and it indicates which song is being played. I set all the balance/fade settings to 5. When I press the up/down volume switch, there is no response indicated on the head unit. Should there be a volume indication when I try to change the volume?

I searched many threads looking for a previous thread on this topic and found one, but the responses were along the lines of "why listen to the radio when you can listen to the engine".

The 10 amp fuse on the back of the unit looks good. All the fuses in the fuse box in the drivers foot-well look good. It doesn't look like there have been any mods to the wiring. My car has the base unit plus the CD changer. No speakers in the door panels. No amp in the frunk.

Any ides?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Sound from CDR-210 Becker Radio