996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Want to replace 1999 convertible top myself

Old 07-08-2017, 10:29 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
great price on '99 Cab tip. I am actually sorry to hear they are that cheap.

My '00 C4 cab tip feels the pain.........
Don't feel the pain. Every car is different and has a reason for selling at the price it does. This one had a missing rear window, top tension cables were messed up because of broken studs, has an RMS leak, and the driver's seat has a small hole in it from too many years of wear. Oh, and a higher mileage car.

All of which I can fix on my own. Done everything but the top.

Last edited by TNT63Falcon; 07-09-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:04 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admire your dedication, but I question your judgement.

The top is a $1,000 part, and I expect that it will need to be cut, and in places glued down with adhesive, and a mistake in either area may not be a recoverable error. And you can damage the top mechanism (the bows and cables), or the vehicle itself.

The top manufacturer estimates this is a 10 hour job for professionals, So, you'd be risking a $1K top to save an approximately equivalent amount in labor.

If you're not planning to make replacing tops a career, and this may be a "once in a lifetime" project, then I see far more pitfalls than positives in your future.

In any case, carry on, and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:23 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfv_rider
I admire your dedication, but I question your judgement.

The top is a $1,000 part, and I expect that it will need to be cut, and in places glued down with adhesive, and a mistake in either area may not be a recoverable error. And you can damage the top mechanism (the bows and cables), or the vehicle itself.

The top manufacturer estimates this is a 10 hour job for professionals, So, you'd be risking a $1K top to save an approximately equivalent amount in labor.

If you're not planning to make replacing tops a career, and this may be a "once in a lifetime" project, then I see far more pitfalls than positives in your future.

In any case, carry on, and let us know how it goes.
Yes, it is stated to be a 10 hour job. I really don't care if it takes 30 hours. It's not about the money. As I stated above, "I like working on my Porsche". It costs $8k, has 140k moles on it, and isn't going up in value dramatically, even with a new top.

Although I appreciate everyone's thoughts on potential downfalls and potential problems, most of what has been said are assumptions, because they haven't researched it or done it themselves. That is why I am looking for input From people with first hand knowledge.

As far as $1,000 top. No way. You can get a good top for half that. Worst case, I toss in the towel and pay a "pro" to do it. I've seen Boxsters done. Read the install instructions, it isn't smoke and magic. Just like most things in life, research, ask questions, take your time, and don't force things. Take lots of pictures, bag and label the parts, and take notes.

I rebuilt an engine that way, removed a 3.6 and tiptronic, and replaced all the parts and reinstalled ( all in my garage), amongst a dozen other things people would be intimidated to do. If I screw it up, I will pay to have it fixed. To date, that hasn't happened.

Now, is there any feedback from anyone that HAS DONE IT?

BTW, more than happy to document every step of the way and post a "How To". Life is all about experiences and trying new things. Can't be scared to screw up.
The following users liked this post:
gorogergo (07-26-2022)
Old 07-02-2018, 09:17 AM
mdreef
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNT63Falcon
Yes, it is stated to be a 10 hour job. I really don't care if it takes 30 hours. It's not about the money. As I stated above, "I like working on my Porsche". It costs $8k, has 140k moles on it, and isn't going up in value dramatically, even with a new top.

Although I appreciate everyone's thoughts on potential downfalls and potential problems, most of what has been said are assumptions, because they haven't researched it or done it themselves. That is why I am looking for input From people with first hand knowledge.

As far as $1,000 top. No way. You can get a good top for half that. Worst case, I toss in the towel and pay a "pro" to do it. I've seen Boxsters done. Read the install instructions, it isn't smoke and magic. Just like most things in life, research, ask questions, take your time, and don't force things. Take lots of pictures, bag and label the parts, and take notes.

I rebuilt an engine that way, removed a 3.6 and tiptronic, and replaced all the parts and reinstalled ( all in my garage), amongst a dozen other things people would be intimidated to do. If I screw it up, I will pay to have it fixed. To date, that hasn't happened.

Now, is there any feedback from anyone that HAS DONE IT?

BTW, more than happy to document every step of the way and post a "How To". Life is all about experiences and trying new things. Can't be scared to screw up.
I'm considering tackling this project as well. Seems like you and I have similar mentality about trying things - as crazy as they might be - and replacing a convertible top seems to be relatively simple compared to some insane things I've done in the past.

It looks like this thread went "silent" and I'm wondering if you ever completed the project on your own. If you did, are there any lessons learned or reasons that I shouldn't try this myself? You mentioned you might document each step and produce a "How To". Do you have anything that you can share about your experience?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2018, 12:35 PM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I've replaced convertible tops on a 73 Triumph TR6, and a 69 Mercedes 280SL. Not as hard as you may think. Take lots of pictures inside and out, and have fun.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:27 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

Holy flash from last year. So to the OP...

Well? How did it turn out?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:58 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very curious myself, hope OP responds.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:13 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I think the OP sold his car earlier this year.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:54 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I think the OP sold his car earlier this year.
With or without a new top?
Old 07-02-2018, 03:14 PM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol,loved his confidence, but he showed his lack of experience.
Have watched my brother( a 23 yr master tech) do these many times,and it is not easy job!
Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 PM
alabamatoy
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 2000 cabby done by Rod's Customs in Huntsville. This was somewhere around 2012 or so, and its still going strong. Rod's is actually used for all convertible top repairs by the local Porsche dealer. They charged me $1700 out the door for a new top with flexible window, installed. Before they installed the top, they sewed the zipper on the rear window. The zipper apparently is what usually fails first (it had failed on mine, the rear window was flappin in the breeze), and sewing it together with kevlar thread will prevent the usual failure mode. 5-6 years later, I have no complaints.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
With or without a new top?
Good question

Some things are best left to the professionals. This is one of those. Like the old Vaudeville routine - Pay the two dollars.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:33 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't wait to read the How To write up. take lots of pictures.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM
01slvr911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding my .02 for this, if anyone is in SoCal, North Hollywood Upholstery can do this job with their eyes closed, they charged me 250 for removal/install and 120 for a new plastic window..... in hindsight i should have bought a new top and just brought it to them to install had i known they had to remove the top to sew in the new rear plastic window.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:42 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Can't wait to read the How To write up. take lots of pictures.
Don't hold your breath!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to replace 1999 convertible top myself