996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Questions From Perspective New 996 Owner

Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
Mid-engine huh? I too caught that. Why is it that a small thing like that sets off all kinds of alarms to me? Wouldn't a Porsche owner know the difference between mid and rear engine?
I think too much weight is given to preferring anally retentive sellers. Buy based on condition of the drivetrain (it's 75% of the car's value). Load too many heuristics into your decision making process and you'll end up with a 996 that has the *perfect* spec sheet but a nearly blown motor.

As evidence, see all the guys that *need* a C4S, but neglect to verfiy the drivetrain health & end up 20k in the hold to start their ownership.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:04 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

Welcome to RL! Welcome to the Dark Side as a 996 guy.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:59 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm headed out to look at the silver with red interior car tomorrow.

My curious questions are:

- Who buys a Porsche in 1999 with 2700 miles on the odometer and doesn't drive it? Carfax does show that it was always registered as a corporate vehicle so maybe the owner travelled a lot. I'll know more after tomorrow.

- Do timing chain tensioners usually need replacing at so few miles? Or just insurance?
Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

The Chicago car had a front end collision in 2010 that required it to be towed but, no mention of airbag deployment. How much should or would this effect the overall value.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/6159935147.html

Still exploring the red Aero optioned car.

https://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/6177807847.html
Thats too bad on the chicago car. I don't remember if I saw that posted anywhere. I'm not sure on value, but it certainly does affect resale.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm headed out to look at the silver with red interior car tomorrow.

My curious questions are:

- Who buys a Porsche in 1999 with 2700 miles on the odometer and doesn't drive it? Carfax does show that it was always registered as a corporate vehicle so maybe the owner travelled a lot. I'll know more after tomorrow.

- Do timing chain tensioners usually need replacing at so few miles? Or just insurance?
Timing chain tensioners to my knowledge wear during running time of the engine and typically would need replacement after 70-80k miles. So no, I would not expect those to be replaced earlier.
The big question is whether the car has been sitting for a few years without any driving (not so good) or maybe the owner just had multiple cars/did simply not drive a lot except occasional spin? And, whatever the use, were oil and other fluids (like brakes) still changed regularily? I sometimes see cars with a low mileage and only 1-2 maintenance stamps in the booklet and no invoices. I walked away of such cars.

PS: liked the red Aero a lot, more then the silver with red interior. That one (the silver) might be OK but resale will be very hard at any time. My 2c.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:12 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Could I get additional advice on the red car? From what I can tell from the option sticker:

- The car is not a factory aero optioned car but rather has had the aero side skirts added. Yes?
- The rear spoiler is not an aero one???
- Car has LSD which is a nice option
- 18" 993 turbo lightweight wheels
- Traction control
- No heated seats?

And clearly the headlights and taillights have been "upgraded" I like them personally.

What about the interior? Basic or the all leather option?
Attached Images        
Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like full leather.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:10 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I like the red car a lot too. Yes the aero bits aren't factory but they do look like the correct Porsche parts. I like the 3 spoke wheel too. The mileage is low making it a pretty good deal if it's been taken care of.

I do hate the K&N "cold air" kit though.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 AM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

All leather would be a nice option. I know it would need more maintenance but, I am used to that given I own a 95 Jaguar with all leather.

Is the 3-spoke wheel an option/unique?

I know others may disagree but, I too am not a fan of K&N filters. Probably I am biased from hearing of the damage they do to MAF sensors from improper/over oiling and not the fault of the filter itself. I have had good experiences with AEM dry filters in the past.

The car Has been maintained by the dealer or by Autobahn Services in Fairfax, VA. Have records of oil changes, brake fluid flushes, filters, new battery, full tune-up etc... IMS/RMS/clutch/water pump are all original as are the 10 year old tires.

The owner previous to the current owner had the car for 8.5 years and sold the car to move into a newer 911. Or so the story is told by the current owner. I can see selling a very low mileage, first year 996 at probably a decent price to fund moving into a newer model. And if he owned it for 8 years and put all of these "upgrades" into the car then he must have cared for it. He is the one who changed the headlights, taillights, added the aero bits, aluminum pedals, carbon fiber shift ****, cold air intake and possibly lowered the car.

The current owner has owned it for only 9 months and his story, which I have no reason to doubt, is that he just bought a farm and needs to free up some cash. I can understand this as well. The current owner also owns a Mustang GT and a Mazda Miata so, sounds like a guy who likes his cars but, the Porsche is probably the one with the biggest car payment and why he is selling it.

Thoughts?

It's going in for a PPI on Thursday and I will move forward from there depending on the cars bill of health.

I am a bit nervous about buying the car and immediately having to drive it 450 miles back home.

Last edited by MSGGrunt; 07-12-2017 at 05:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:54 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I wouldn't be nervous at all. The wife, my lil girl and I flew to Denver to get our 996. We drove it home to Dallas without any issue. No PPI. I had lots of conversations with owner beforehand and proof of ims, rms and clutch service at 75k. Car had 83k on it when we picked it up. These cars drive wonderfully although it's a bit small for longer trips.

If you get a favorable PPI, fly drive and enjoy. Too many people here are spooked about things you literally have almost no control over.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

^^ Don't be nervous. I once flew to Georgia from Chicago and bought a Triumph TR6 after it traveled about 1/8th mile of my trip due to a failed fuel pump. We bought the failed part, then went to the bank, closed the deal, went back to the airport on the side of the exit ramp, replaced the fuel pump, and I drove her all the way back to Chicago. I was a bit nervous. But then again, it was a British car.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:53 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

It's going in for a PPI on Thursday and I will move forward from there depending on the cars bill of health.

I am a bit nervous about buying the car and immediately having to drive it 450 miles back home.
Backstory is backstory, some people will give it to you straight, and others will try to make up a story just to make it sound better. Can't really base off someones word, just have the PPI done and that's about as much comfort you can get along with a maintenance paper trail.

All that said, I grabbed a rental and drove a couple states down to pick mine up. Drove the 700+ miles back the very next day no issues. And people warned of the low miles (23k), but the car itself appeared to be in great shape, so wasn't nervous a single mile on the trip back.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:42 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

PPI came back with only a couple anomalies but nothing I think would kill the deal.

1. There is oil weeping from the back of the engine. Either RMS or IMS bearing. Plan on replacing soon.

2. Water pump and belt looks OK but, original. Will replace.

3. No evidence of any accidents but the PPI INDY said that the paint was thicker than most other Porsches he sees but, that the thickness was uniform and no signs of anything other than a factory paint job. What thick is I don't know. Maybe the red color is thicker than silver/black/gray???

4. His computer showed that the car is not running within factory parameters but, wasn't off enough to trip a CEL. The technician advised that it was probably caused by the K&N filter and possible over oiling that could have contaminated the MAF sensor. He advised removing and cleaning the MAF sensor and going back to the OEM airbox. I never have liked K&N

5. Evidently the car has a short shifter installed and he said that the shaft appears to be bent to the left??? He also said that it hits on the shifter surround when putting the trans in reverse, though shifts fine in all other gears..
Old 07-14-2017, 11:19 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PPI came back with only a couple anomalies but nothing I think would kill the deal.

1. There is oil weeping from the back of the engine. Either RMS or IMS bearing. Plan on replacing soon.

2. Water pump and belt looks OK but, original. Will replace.

3. No evidence of any accidents but the PPI INDY said that the paint was thicker than most other Porsches he sees but, that the thickness was uniform and no signs of anything other than a factory paint job. What thick is I don't know. Maybe the red color is thicker than silver/black/gray???

4. His computer showed that the car is not running within factory parameters but, wasn't off enough to trip a CEL. The technician advised that it was probably caused by the K&N filter and possible over oiling that could have contaminated the MAF sensor. He advised removing and cleaning the MAF sensor and going back to the OEM airbox. I never have liked K&N

5. Evidently the car has a short shifter installed and he said that the shaft appears to be bent to the left??? He also said that it hits on the shifter surround when putting the trans in reverse, though shifts fine in all other gears..
"Not running within factory parameters" how, exactly? Seems like more information might be good to have.

Like you, I'm no fan of K & N air filters. The basic proposition, if I understand it correctly, seems flawed ... take a more porous element, then coat it with oil so that contaminants stick to it. I had one on my V-Rod for a while but replaced it with an Amsoil dry filter. Less effort to maintain and the bike felt smoother on the butt dyno.

Depending on which shifter you have in there, you may be able to use the Porsche alignment tool -- a precision piece of green plastic -- to line it up properly. The tool costs maybe ten bucks, IIRC, and you can get one from the usual suspects.

There are a lot of threads on short shifters and shifter replacements. The 997 shifter is a popular modification and you can find them used in the $100 range. There's also a fellow named Ben who sells a modified shifter that has gotten a lot of good reviews. If cost isn't an issue, buy a Numeric Racing shifter. It's a great part and beautifully made ... you won't want to put the console over it because it looks so nice. Numeric also makes very good shift cables.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions From Perspective New 996 Owner