Sponsored by:

Questions From Perspective New 996 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:41 AM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The coupes are usually and will probably will always be the most desirable model compared to cabs and targas
Among Porsche 356s, the cabs sell for much more than coupes.

For the differences of the C4S compared to the Turbo and the C4, read here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post14125769
The article describes the C4S in detail.

The C4S has (almost) the rear suspension from the Turbo which provides a wider track, the C4 does not. The C4S has the front bumper cover from the Turbo, and the rear bodywork, and the brakes. However, the springs and shocks are tuned to the C4S (not the same as the Turbo), because the C4S is about 150 lbs lighter. So technically, the suspensions are not the same. Another difference, the C4S has no air intakes on the rear fenders -- because their are no intercoolers.

Originally Posted by MSGGrunt
And why so few Targas?

I only ask as let's assume at some point the 996 values will increase, even if slightly and if my budget could buy me a C4S or Targa or a car with the aero options would this be a more desirable car over the standard C2?
A couple of disadvantages to the Targa are over 200 lbs additional weight up high on the car exactly where we don't want more weight. The tracks for the glass panel and power sun shade are wide enough that my head hit when lean just a bit to the left.

Your list above, choosing among the C4S, Targa, and Aero cars --- to me they are all quite different variants among the 996s, each has a character of its own that is different than the others. I'd suggest to select one of those directions, find the most excellent car in that variant that your budget will allow.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:44 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I have noticed that if I increase my budget and search parameters to $25,000 I find more cars in the brighter colors, a coupe of the C4S models and more with the aero package.

I only ask as let's assume at some point the 996 values will increase, even if slightly and if my budget could buy me a C4S or Targa or a car with the aero options would this be a more desirable car over the standard C2?
Now you're in range.

Basically yes, any of those variants would almost certainly be more valuable or more desirable than a bone stock C2 car.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

If you could find a C4S with a factory aero kit, then you'd have a winner! It's a rare bird....
Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
For the differences of the C4S compared to the Turbo and the C4, read here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post14125769
The article describes the C4S in detail.

The C4S has (almost) the rear suspension from the Turbo which provides a wider track, the C4 does not. The C4S has the front bumper cover from the Turbo, and the rear bodywork, and the brakes. However, the springs and shocks are tuned to the C4S (not the same as the Turbo), because the C4S is about 150 lbs lighter. So technically, the suspensions are not the same. Another difference, the C4S has no air intakes on the rear fenders -- because their are no intercoolers.
A definitive statement. Thanks, 911Syncro.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
If you could find a C4S with a factory aero kit, then you'd have a winner! It's a rare bird....
Was not and am not fond of the factory aero, that's why I didn't get it when I got the car. But, you're right, it is a rare bird.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6193110873.html

Something like this, nice drive back to MA! Story looks good. Just an example of what you could be looking for.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:19 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Volkert
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6193110873.html

Something like this, nice drive back to MA! Story looks good. Just an example of what you could be looking for.
Except it's black and OP wants a bright color, it's a C4, and OP doesn't want AWD, it's missing aero, and OP wants aero, and they said it has every option avail at the time - not even close to correct. However, it is 1000 miles under the 100k limit!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

At this early stage I am still learning and not ruling anything out, except grey interior. That I won't compromise on. I would consider a silver car if all else was perfect. A few that have caught my eye...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/6159935147.html

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6190693854.html

https://frederick.craigslist.org/cto/6177807847.html

With my intent on driving it more than just a weekend pleasure car I assume I would not be wrong in placing a premium on low miles? I understand too low mileage could mean certain things that will need replacing have probably not been replaced like on a car with 80,000 to 90,000 miles. And with lower miles I am thinking less interior wear, possibly less paint chipping on the nose, suspension pieces will have more life etc...
Old 06-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

That Chicago car is less than 10 miles away from me. I can probably take a look at it for you if you were interested.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 PM
MSGGrunt
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Of course the one I like the most is in Chicago. My last boondoggle to buy a vehicle was three weeks ago to Chicago and it has been, so far, not my best experience. I bough a 2009, VW Touareg, 79,000 2 owner car for my wife that I drove back to MA. Day 2 had the check engine light come on, missing on multiple cylinders while under power but not when up to speed around 65-70 mph and it has been at the dealership an hour from my house ever since. They are telling me it needs a new instrument cluster and then who knows what. My bill is currently $2100.00.

Thanks for the offer murphyslaw1978. This is in my budget, a livable color, low miles, appears to be clean. If you just happen to be in that area and want to take a casual look at it I would be interested in your opinion. Initial thoughts on the car from the add?

I like the blue but, wonder what the cinnamon looks like in person.
Miles are super low. Good yes or would only 31,000 miles have drawbacks?
Description sounds good.
If someone special ordered that interior vs buying a car off the lot then MAYBE they are more of an enthusiasts???
PCA Member can't be bad.
Engine compartment looks clean but, not used car dealer armor all shiny clean. Just tidy.
I would be curious to see the service records.
I would guess the aero kit is factory and the GT3 something added after by the owner?

I hope the date time stamp on the photos is just the incorrect date in the camera settings.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I'd ask for a photo of the options sticker that lets you see the option codes. It's under the bonnet.

The interior looks like Natural Brown Leather to me, but I could be wrong. I had NBL in my 996, and it was great. The "GT3 kit aero" isn't an OE kit, which may or may not matter to you. The car also has aftermarket radiator screens in the front bumper. Many people like this to keep crap out of the radiators, and it's a common mod by people who frequently track their car. I don't know if this matters to you or not, but you might ask the seller about it.

Overall, the car looks nice and clean in the photos.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'd ask for a photo of the options sticker that lets you see the option codes. It's under the bonnet.

The interior looks like Natural Brown Leather to me, but I could be wrong. I had NBL in my 996, and it was great. The "GT3 kit aero" isn't an OE kit, which may or may not matter to you. The car also has aftermarket radiator screens in the front bumper. Many people like this to keep crap out of the radiators, and it's a common mod by people who frequently track their car. I don't know if this matters to you or not, but you might ask the seller about it.

Overall, the car looks nice and clean in the photos.
Don't you mean the sticker is under the boot?

Good catch on the screens.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:03 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Of course the one I like the most is in Chicago. This is in my budget, a livable color, low miles, appears to be clean.
Yeah, I'll check it out. There's nothing I see from the ad that causes me concern.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:46 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Don't you mean the sticker is under the boot?

Good catch on the screens.
Boot, bonnet, trunk, frunk.... I can't keep it straight.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:39 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Lapis blue is as stunning in person as it is in pics. Maybe more. The car also has some interesting options. Root wood int package, light alloy(hollow 18") wheels, Xenon lights, heated seats for the NE winters, new sport pilot tires. If it checks out, I'd hit that like a cheap ***** at that price. Get the IMS, RMS, and clutch done and love it for ever.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 AM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Except it's black and OP wants a bright color, it's a C4, and OP doesn't want AWD, it's missing aero, and OP wants aero, and they said it has every option avail at the time - not even close to correct. However, it is 1000 miles under the 100k limit!
LOL: you see my point exactly!

That Chicago car is a beauty and a big sufferer of the 996 trauma, it should be worth at least 30k. I would not be concerned on the low mileage, check if it has at least run regularily (ie not been sitting in storage 101 years with dirty oil). Then as suggested get the maintenance items done (AOS/RMS/IMS + all fluids) and fix the things that come up once you start to drive (there will always be a few). I would suggest some regular oil changes (3k max) early on to clean the engine internally.

Volkert

Quick Reply: Questions From Perspective New 996 Owner