Sponsored by:

Suspension ID question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:16 AM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Suspension ID question

So I have done searches here, on the google machine, and have read and re-read the 996 Ultimate Companion book to attempt to find the answer. Now I have to turn to the collective if you have time to help.

Here is the story -

2001 Carrera 4 Cab that PO said had "upgraded suspension installed" prior to his purchasing of the car. Car has obviously lowered stance. After some investigation and spirited driving I realized that the car had H&R sport springs installed (actually had the wrong ones installed for a coupe rather than cab. Once I installed the correct rear springs it rode much better). I have since assumed that the car only had the sport springs installed and the PO had been misled about any other suspension mods. My intention was to look for an M030 ROW or some coilovers down the road.

However, while researching the M030 and other packages and comparing the suspension I have to the pictures in the Ultimate Companion book, I am now wondering if something along the lines of the x73 or x74 was installed at some point. A google image search for x73 suspension pulls up nothing definitive as does a search for the stock suspension for a 2001 C4 Cab. The only pictures in the UC book that match what I have are labeled as x73 or x74 and I have included them in this post. The rear dampers I have are Bilstein but not sure about the front. It is also important to note, that I haven't found anything in the build codes that lead me to believe that the car had anything other than a stock suspension. I have included the build code in this thread as well. Does that mean it couldn't have been changed later? However the build code does say that my car was part of the Porsche Exclusive program for some other items and there is this weird line in the book that is in the page I included below.

"Note- Option X74 has been unofficially installed on narrow body Carrera Cabriolet, Carrera 4 Cabriolet and Targa Models and on all US Market versions."

So, what have I got here?
Attached Images          

Last edited by Debo18D; 06-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm thinking you don't have an actual X74. The 73 is for a C4S / Turbo. To it looks like rear shocks were replaced at some point and all springs have been changed. Another thing to look at is the sway bars. The M030 and X74 used the same sways....they are thicker. If you can find the stock dia of the sways and compare that with what you have. Thicker is better.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:54 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

^Yeah^ H&R sport springs. It looks like he left the Bilstein B4's (stock) on the front and he put Bilstein B6's (heavy duty) on the rears. If you decide to replace the fronts you can go with B6's to match your rears. If you replace all, I'd go with B8's (sport - designed for the shorter sport springs).
Old 06-16-2017, 06:36 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

I'll check the diameter of the sways in the morning and report back. I guess I just need someone with a 2001 C4 Cabriolet to say "yep mine is stock and that's exactly like it.", or "nope, looks like yours has been been fiddled with". I can't find any pics of that exact car with a stock suspension.

Thanks for the help.

D.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

And I DO like the idea of B8's on the front. Have already started pricing that route.

D.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:40 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Debo18D
I'll check the diameter of the sways in the morning and report back. I guess I just need someone with a 2001 C4 Cabriolet to say "yep mine is stock and that's exactly like it.", or "nope, looks like yours has been been fiddled with". I can't find any pics of that exact car with a stock suspension.

Thanks for the help.

D.
Definitely not stock (except for front struts - and maybe the sways but I can't see them)... So, mine's not a Cab, but it is a C4. I believe all C4's came with M030 sways/stabilizers (due to the heavier chassis). Your front suspension looks stock except for the springs. The rear looks like Bilstein B6's with H&R springs. You can check the sways - if they have a green dot/paint mark, they're M030's...
Old 06-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Rear sway 19mm-ish, front sway 24mm.

D.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:02 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

I'm pretty sure those are the dimensions for the M030 sways...

Quick Reply: Suspension ID question