996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Stick Or Tiptronic What Do You Preffer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 03:08 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

In the best of all worlds I'd chose a manual, in LA I won't complain about my tiptronic. I think there are actually three 996 variations. The very early ones (98/99) you had to shift from D to M to get the buttons to work. In later versions (mine is an early 2000) you could go out of D and into manual just by hitting the buttons. It would go back to D mode in about 8 seconds if you didn't continue using the buttons. I believe these were both the Mercedes versions of the tip, and they had 5 maps. In the third version, (made by Chrysler) the maps expanded to 250. That plus the extra 25 hp made the tip much more responsive. The 3.8 S with Sport Chrono was the best (and last) of the tips in the 911. All of these are easier and less expensive to service vs the PDK...but more expensive than a simple manual. The tip shifts faster than a manual but often lacks the instantaneous crispness associated with the manual.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It appears as though some in here could say with confidence that they prefer just the tip.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Like most people here from So CAL, my Bro-in-law used to own a 996 Cab with manual but after 1 yr driving in heavy traffic jams, he gave up with back-pains, and switched to a 2005 997 Cab Tip. That was actually good for me because I inherited his old 996 6-speed, otherwise no P-car for me, heh heh heh :-) I love this car since then and have owned it for the past 11 yrs and counting... Btw my DD Jeep wrangler is an Auto and love it too. Cheers,
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 AM
peterfrans
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a densily populated area, lots of traffic most of the time. That was the reason for buying a tip, and I really don't regret that for a single moment. Driving a stick-shift from traffic jam to traffic jam gets old real soon. If I would have lived in a more rural area, I would probably have opted for a stick.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
It appears as though some in here could say with confidence that they prefer just the tip.
You tease...
Old 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys good stuff , looks like the tipsters are quite popular, don't say, but I do love mine as well.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:12 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

My truck is an 8 spd auto. My wife's SUV is a 5 spd auto (next will be 8). My old corvette is a 4 speed manual, my ZR-1 is a 6 spd manual, my 944 is 5 spd manual, and our 996 is a 6 spd manual. Autos have their place but sports cars are about driving! I want to be more a part of the drive so I prefer a manual. I hate driving them in DFW traffic though.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:16 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh this should be fun. The main reason manuals were historically superior was because you could not dictate which gear you were in using an "old school" automatic (obviously). And historically that was 100% valid. Porsche didn't even make autos for decades. Well that old school thinking is no longer valid. Manuals allow you to physically push a pedal with your foot and physically move a gear shift with your hand. It ends there. Neither of which represent any type of advantage. I know the "real drivers" will chime in to "educate" me.

The PDK is the superior technology and anyone who believes otherwise is probably using a typewriter, watching movies on BETA, and washing their clothes in a river!!

PDK... it's good enough for these guys:

Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Oh this should be fun. The main reason manuals were historically superior was because you could not dictate which gear you were in using an "old school" automatic (obviously). And historically that was 100% valid. Porsche didn't even make autos for decades. Well that old school thinking is no longer valid. Manuals allow you to physically push a pedal with your foot and physically move a gear shift with your hand. It ends there. Neither of which represent any type of advantage. I know the "real drivers" will chime in to "educate" me.

The PDK is the superior technology and anyone who believes otherwise is probably using a typewriter, watching movies on BETA, and washing their clothes in a river!!

Perfect that's Awsome, thanks for sharing, O Boy, Stand by.

Last edited by Hotrodaxel1976; 06-16-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:20 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2002 Cab is a 6-speed. For me there were two absolute necessities when I bought a Porsche:

* It had to have a stick tranny

* It had to be a convertible

I live in one of the most traffic congested areas in the country (Silicon Valley). I would never pick a stick tranny if I had to deal with stop & go every day getting to and from work.

However, I am retired and can pick and chose when I go places. As a result, the stick works great and I LOVE shifting the gears. I drive the car every day and it has been a winner in every way!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:22 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

You really can't beat a CVT. Why doesn't Porsche get with the times?
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Originally Posted by 6L6
My 2002 Cab is a 6-speed. For me there were two absolute necessities when I bought a Porsche:

* It had to have a stick tranny

* It had to be a convertible

I live in one of the most traffic congested areas in the country (Silicon Valley). I would never pick a stick tranny if I had to deal with stop & go every day getting to and from work.

However, I am retired and can pick and chose when I go places. As a result, the stick works great and I LOVE shifting the gears. I drive the car every day and it has been a winner in every way!

Thanks for the reply, Nice to be able to move when you want in Southern California, it took me awhile learning the same
Old 06-16-2017, 12:25 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Take a deep breath and relax. No one is arguing which is better or faster. The title and replies so far are about PREFERence. I'm sure you misconstrued that somehow.

I owned a PDK car as a daily driver. I still won't have one in my hobby cars or weekend cars. Launch control was tons of fun, but on a track or country drive, I want to row the gears. Again, note this is a preference.

Now the reply explaining how my preference is wrong, that should be fun.

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911

PDK... it's good enough for these guys:

Old 06-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

I think the Tiptronic Is Great, it's basically bulletproof with regular fluid changes, Its plenty beefy for the 3.4l
Old 06-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

[QUOTE=AnthonyGS;14259661]Take a deep breath and relax. No one is arguing which is better or faster. The title and replies so far are about PREFERence. I'm sure you misconstrued that somehow.

I owned a PDK car as a daily driver. I still won't have one in my hobby cars or weekend cars. Launch control was tons of fun, but on a track or country drive, I want to row the gears. Again, note this is a preference.

Now the reply explaining how my preference is wrong, that should be fun.[/QUOTE

Hello thanks for rowing threw those gears for us sounds exciting, thanks for sharing your preference.

Quick Reply: Stick Or Tiptronic What Do You Preffer?