996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:37 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

I am running 235 fronts and 275 rears, good balance & traction (RS-4).

Last edited by Ratchet1025; 12-04-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-06-2018, 05:51 PM
tshort
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input, all. I just drove back from my tire dealer with a new set of these on my 2003 996. I'm running the stock 18" lightweight wheels. Stock tire sizes are 225/40 and 285/30. Since this tire doesn't come in the stock rear size, I went with Hankook's recommendation, 275/35.

I only drove about 4 miles on them, including a short freeway stretch. I'm replacing a Dunlop Direzza StarSpec 2 tires, in stock sizes. My initial impressions of these is as follows.
1. Much quieter ride - my wife and I literally wore earplugs for long freeway trips with the Starspecs.
2. Cushier over bumps. No surprise here, given the higher sidewall on the rear, with all that weight back there. The Starspecs produced a very harsh jolt going over anything in the road, to the point where I would swerve to avoid manhole covers on residential streets. No more with these 'Kooks.
3. A little more body roll on hard corners. I have a wonderful set of test corners leading up to my house - a steep uphill, with a decreasing radius hard left, exiting off the main road, and then 2nd gear assault on tight uphill with a short-radius right. Again, no surprise here given the higher rear sidewall. Front felt planted enough, though, although more testing at different speeds will tell that tale.

Overall, I'm happy with my choice. I initially bought the car for DE, and did several on the Starspecs - loved them in that environment. The price point on these Hankook's is so good compared any other viable alternatives, it's hard to not like them unless you're aiming to do DE/trackday stuff, or AX. Then I think the body roll would definitely become a hindrance.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2