Sponsored by:

Camshaft position sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:28 PM
iammclovin804
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
I think Hotrodaxle is a troll... I find it difficult to believe he bought this car, did all this work on it and then had it junked because he couldn't figure out a fault code... Really?
I can't verify the junked part, but I saw the car.

Edit: Also posted up pics in my own thread when we met and got the cars together.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:09 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
I think Hotrodaxle is a troll... I find it difficult to believe he bought this car, did all this work on it and then had it junked because he couldn't figure out a fault code... Really?
Or a complete idiot! Who does something like this?
Could have sold it as a roller and easily got most the money back...
Old 05-30-2017, 01:48 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really foolish in your eyes but for me it wasn't, it's my car, it's my money, It's my loss, this car was nothing but a toy for me. When toys are broke and Walmart want fix it you toss it or burn it. That's basically the way I feel about it, I mean, hey I couldn't get any help, I tried. BUT LISTEN MY WIFE HAS RECOVERED THE CAR FOR ME. I dropped the car this a.m. I came home and have been Very Very upset. Well she made some phone calls and the car will be back tomorrow, LUCKILY!! So this is , 1 more shot for her to corporate with me.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:52 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Xx

Last edited by Hotrodaxel1976; 05-30-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:12 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

What I done wrong was I should have left the car as stickers and orange paint, with all that garbage gt3 clone crap, it had a turbo even, some makeship bull crap. It had aluminum racing seats, it had steering wheel that would remove, it had no dash , no carpet, no working top. No windows, .door kits, wing kit, stereo in the trunk, woofers, bull amps, speakers. It had evry aftermarket part you could bolt on stick on draw on!! , Should I had fixed the engine first? I expelled my budget long ago. I should have put the car in running state first!!

Last edited by Hotrodaxel1976; 05-30-2017 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:15 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Now I'm Broke, lol. And My car is perfect back to original other than it is in limp mode and It's a hall sensor, or wires. We are going to replace engine mounts with more nice parts$$$. And see if we can't gain access by lowering the engine some while the mount are being changed
Old 05-30-2017, 03:02 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
It's not fighting you, but there are some damn difficult jobs on our cars.
Your engine is M96/01 confirmed.
Misfires on Bank 1, left side of engine, cylinders 1,2,3, as standing at the rear bumper looking into the engine bay.
The hall sender/camshaft position sensor is Part #34 here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=103-00 located on the top rear of the Bank 1 Cylinder Head.
You will probably have to follow the same procedure for AOS replacement to get to it. A real PITA but doable with engine in car, dropped to the lowest level sitting on the cross-member.

Just realized I'm late to the game! Started reading on page 1 and only got through that. So sorry for the repeat information! However, heres hoping for success for your project
Thanks For the information that My engine is a 2001.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:06 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Originally Posted by ltusler
In addition to posts 18,19,25,26, you also need to walk away and calm down. These things can be very frustrating and being mad at while trying to work on it does no good.

Since you are going to change the motor mounts anyway, go ahead and remove them, and let the engine rest on the cross member, that will give you about 2 more inches of clearance in that area.

Remove the AOS, the procedure is well documented, find it.
Then check the wiring, and replace the sender if required.
Install new AOS.
Enjoy your car.
Thanks for this advice, Im going to try that, but it's crunch time!!
Old 05-30-2017, 03:08 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Bank 1 is tough. See this photo and let me know if you dont see it. Not what the green arrow is pointing to. It's the black plug right next to the cut AOS drain tube.

Do you think dropping the engine while replacing mounts would help us figure the sensors/wires out?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:10 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

P0343 is most likely a wire/connector issue and not the sensor itself. The factory manual says some wire is shorted to the +12v. However, I saw one case with the sensor disconnected that also caused this code. I would shift my focus to the wiring.
Would dropping the engine some while changing my engine mounts/there shot/ but would dropping the engine some help gain access to The wiring issues you think
Old 05-30-2017, 03:13 AM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Looks like a bear to replace with all the junk getting in the way.

Yes it is, and my hands will say the same with all that mess in the way. I'm hoping that dropping the engine down some (if possible) while replacing engine mounts. Maybe that will give someone the room to change a sensor, what about that oil air separating devise .
Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

If you don't mind removing the engine, I highly recommend removing the engine from the car to replace the AOS and address the bank1 cam sensor and wiring.

You can try to lower the engine as much as you can when you replace the engine mounts first and see if that helps. It may. The AOS is a bear to replace (unless you remove the engine from the car). Given your posts, you may torch your car even faster.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:39 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Dropping the engine down to the cross member helps, but doing this job is extremely frustrating. Wait until you have to figure out how to remove the last bolt on the intake plenum, and also get it back in. As Ahsai has said, it is much easier to remove the engine for this work. That being said and given your attitude about the car, from what I have heard from others is this is about a $1200-1500 job for an Indy, which in your case might just be worth it.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second everyone above. Might as well drop the engine out and get everything done and bolt back up. Make sure all is done right. It is probably less frustrating putting the engine back in than trying to fight the limited space.

You are so close with the last sensor and AOS. it may even work out the timing that your engine mounts will be ready when you ready to bolt the engine back up.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Hotrodaxel1976
Racer

Thanks you guys for the words of encouragement and motivation, we are going to make a solid attempt to get this engine running like a top. I'm throwing everything possible new on this engine if we pull it. Please someone tell me everything to replace within reason that I can do. If I have to take it to a Indy I'm not sure what a Indy is. Thanks all, I'm settled down, new approach and new attitude, wife told me to treat her like my Baby daughter, she told me this time I better have some patience, cause the car is Not a living Being, and she is not going to jump to my attention like I'm use to. Normally when I open my mouth I have the attention of everything around, but my 996 ain't listening.

Quick Reply: Camshaft position sensor location