996 Quirky Tiptronic Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 01:02 PM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 Quirky Tiptronic Transmission Issue

Everyone,

I just bought a used (new-to-me) 2001 Porsche 911 coupe 996 edition with tiptronic. The car has low miles (76k) and known operating and mechanic history and passed a PPI with relatively flying colors. One occurrence I've felt upon driving the car is a propensity for the tiptronic to upshift to a higher gear at what I feel is a relatively low RPM. Whereas, in auto-manual mode, I'd hold the car to a sligthly higher RPM to take advantage of the full torque curve.

The variance in performance is noticeable. In fact, in normal "drive" mode, where the computer shifts, I've noticed that going from 1st gear upward is disappointing because as I gain speed the car up shifts and I lose torque as the car progresses into a higher gear. In fact, I often find myself in 4th or 5 gear at speeds well below what is necessary. Not sure if this is a sign that the ECU is need of attention, or if the tranny is up shifting incorrectly (and thus requires attention), but please do let me know.

I also know comments in other feeds suggest the 99-01 tiptronics have "lesser" tranny mapping than the MB versions of 02-05...so that may be the issue and I'm just not used to how it chooses to shift.

Car seems to handle well otherwise and is a blast in auto-manual mode. Curious on thoughts in this regard....
Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your car sounds totally normal. The early 996 tips were an improvement over that in the 993s by virtue of the fifth gear. When cold, the engine holds its shifts until about 3000 rpm, this to warm up the motor. When fully warm, the transmission strives for economy and is very responsive to the input from your right foot. Being more aggressive will produce better results. You can also put the car in first gear and that will give more grunt off the line and then it will revert to auto mode. The best results are in manual mode...the car will be much more responsive. (The buttons, in my opinion, are much nicer than the later pdk paddles because you can shift up or down with either hand.) Though it does not have the extensive mapping that the later tips have, it will try to respond to your driving style. Enjoy.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:49 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

You've discovered why no one leaves their Tip in "Drive".......they're slugs when in Drive. Leave it in "Manual" and enjoy it.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
You've discovered why no one leaves their Tip in "Drive".......they're slugs when in Drive.
significant exaggeration.........
Old 05-23-2017, 06:58 PM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the follow up - good to know it's behaving like it should. Part of me thought it was just the tranny but better safe to ask than experience a costly fix. I've been leaving it in manual and that is a much more enjoyable experience.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:35 AM
ourkind
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed sounds totally normal, my 04 C2 tip in auto behaves the same. I usually drive auto for the first 5 mins while to oil temps warm up then switch to manual and let the fun begin.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 AM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took delivery of my 02 TIP recently and thought the same thing. Its normal. Some good tip info here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...on-2002-a.html
Old 05-26-2017, 09:01 AM
David993S
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gretch
significant exaggeration.........
Not a significant exaggeration at all. If it's in "Drive" mode one has to practically keep their foot planted to the floor to keep the RPM's up. Otherwise it shifts up at ridiculously low RPM's. I own two of these cars.....I know.

Sluggish.......is that better?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

difference in perception and driving technique, perhaps. I use the steering wheel switches and the throttle blip down shift function and get very satisfactory results from my tip.

I also do not generally drive in racer boi mode, either..........

I have two manual tranny sports cars, and a 335xi with an automatic. Given that limited experience I find the Tip is much faster in response than the 335xi, for example.

If your comparison is a manual transmission, I can acknowledge the experiences are not the same.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:05 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
You've discovered why no one leaves their Tip in "Drive".......they're slugs when in Drive. Leave it in "Manual" and enjoy it.
same with PDK ......150 lbs more of low end torque would solve it too
Old 05-26-2017, 04:50 PM
David993S
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gretch
difference in perception and driving technique, perhaps. I use the steering wheel switches and the throttle blip down shift function and get very satisfactory results from my tip.

I also do not generally drive in racer boi mode, either..........
I too always drive using the steering wheel buttons, simply because it can be sluggish in Drive mode. And I never drive in boi racer mode......
Old 05-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

my 2000 C4 tip does not require being in manual mode to use the shifting buttons........ is this the disconnect here?

why the chip on your shoulder?????

Quick Reply: 996 Quirky Tiptronic Transmission Issue