996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Alignment and Corner Balance $500 - Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:56 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I readily admit I don't know much about alignments, but I trust this shop and their reputation. That said, a couple of my readings are off by hundredths of a degree. Are you suggesting that is so far off as to be negligent? My understanding of these modern alignment machines is you can "get it perfect" then walk away to put down your coffee and when you turn back around the reading have changed. Before computers and technical advancements alignments within 1/8 of a degree were acceptable. That's 12.5 hundredths of a degree. I only see two readings off. One by 5 hundredths of a degree and one by 3 hundredths of a degree. I can live with that, but then again I'm not too bright which helps ease the pain of reality.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:41 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL

Back when I was a roadie, that small a measure was expressed as a c_nt hair, if especially small a red c_nt hair or in mixed company a gnat's eyelash

One reason a string alignment is better is accuracy. With a proper scale and magnifier, you can get to down to less than .5mm a laser is no better than 1mm (diameter of the beam). That is also assuming the laser rack has been properly aligned.

With strings, by nature, you have to align them each time to set up a car

Of course, the tech doing the alignment and how precise they are factors in
Old 05-16-2017, 10:12 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

$500 is exactly the price I was quoted for alignment/rideheight/corner balance. Now I just need to get the coilovers ordered and installed.

D.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:15 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

The Firestone Lifetime Alignment is a great deal. Used to be about $160 and then you could find a discount coupon. Normally get this for all our cars. Sadly the C4S can't be done at Firestone. They said you need a computer and software to talk to the PSM to let the care know how it is set up. Thought about offering my Durametric but figured tehy would net go for it. Kind of miss my old air-cooleds at times.

Quick Reply: Alignment and Corner Balance $500 - Coilovers