996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic Question 2002

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

How much slower with the Tip 0-60? It depends on how you drive. With the Tip on "Auto", it normally starts in 2nd. But just hit the button to 1st, and then floor the gas. I'd be surprised if the Tip is any more than .1 of a second slower, and there is other testimony that it might be faster. It shifts very quickly and should be identical after you are at 2,000 RPMs in 1st.

The other thing it to understand the data. Given the premise, we have to ask why is it slower from 0-60. Well, probably because it is possibly slower from 0-5 or 0-10 (which both contribute to the given question of 0-60). The acceleration after that is identical to the manual (within some margin).

Doesn't bother me at all. I didn't buy it to drag race the Mustang next to me. I bought it to drive, and handle, and perform. There are some really great curves, up / downhill, fun stretches where I live. I am probably never driving under 20 or 30 mph even on the tightest curves. So it doesn't matter if the Tip is slower from 0-10 mph.

The trick with the Tip, if you want to enjoy the car, is to also shift it, on curves and up/downhill. Look at it this way, with a manual you have to shift into a lower gear for a curve, because you are going slower. For the manual trans that naturally creates an on-power condition for the drive train which makes driving the curve feel good, handles well, etc. In contrast, if you just take the Tip in a curve in full automatic, it doesn't know the curve is coming up, so it just drifts along in lower RPMs in a higher gear. Therefore, the drive train is not in an on-power condition and you''ll rock and roll through the curve thinking the Tip is the problem. The MK2s can be shifted in Auto, wonderful, just use it, and you can have the same high performance experience as the manual.
The following users liked this post:
kenneth_ugalde (07-10-2021)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I forgot to add one thing. Remember, it isn't the transmission that people think is suspect for performance, it is the torque converter. The suspect area is definitely not slow shifting for the Tip. Obviously the torque converter has to slip, that's its job, otherwise you couldn't stop the car. I don't know the spec on the torque converter locking up, but lets assume it doesn't slip anymore at 2K RPMs and higher. And keep in mind that when the Tip upshifts in auto mode, it doesn't start the next gear with the engine at idle. The engine is already at higher RPMs for the new upshifted gear, so there is no more torque converter slippage after a few split seconds in first gear.

And then, for the manual trans, there is always the occasional problem of the missed shift, or suboptimal shifting - which the Tip doesn't do (unless you let it).

Lastly, someone sometimes raises the issue of Tip being only 5 speed vs manual 6-speed. Not an issue at all, the 996 has such a broad power curve that there isn't a need for a 6th gear for the Tip.

And then personally, I would take a 911 with the PDK in an instant -- but it isn't worth extra $20-30k it would cost me now. Maybe in 2-4 years those prices will come down and I'll move to a PDK.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 PM
squawbum
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just add that I have an 02 C4 Cab with the 722.6 Mercedes tip and I took it out without taking the engine out, had it and the torque converter totally rebuilt and put it back in, with the help of my son and very patient Mrs. Squawbum!. It was actually very easy to do and a fun family affair!

I love the tip. I also have one on my Mercedes but that one is a 7 speed, the 722.9.

I will say that my mom just got a Panamera S with PDK and that is an awesome tranny!!

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
kenneth_ugalde (06-26-2022)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Vincent T.
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn_nj
If I remember from my shopping the 3.4L's have a Audi/ZF trans. The 02+ 3.6L got the MBenz trans, same as the Turbo Tip models. The older transmissions you cannot manually shift via button without putting shifter into M, where as the MB you can. New one supposedly has like 255 shift patterns.... that all seem to just shift up too early. LOL. Good luck in the search.
Gotcha! Has there been a lot of case where you never have to replace the RMS, AOS and IMS on the 996? Or are these parts a must to replace on all these cars?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:21 PM
Vincent T.
Intermediate

Originally Posted by squawbum
I'll just add that I have an 02 C4 Cab with the 722.6 Mercedes tip and I took it out without taking the engine out, had it and the torque converter totally rebuilt and put it back in, with the help of my son and very patient Mrs. Squawbum!. It was actually very easy to do and a fun family affair!

I love the tip. I also have one on my Mercedes but that one is a 7 speed, the 722.9.

I will say that my mom just got a Panamera S with PDK and that is an awesome tranny!!

good luck!
Did you replace the RMS, IMS and AOS when you took the trans apart?
Old 05-20-2017, 01:16 AM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vincent T.
Gotcha! Has there been a lot of case where you never have to replace the RMS, AOS and IMS on the 996? Or are these parts a must to replace on all these cars?
The IMS is an open debate you will never get answered. That is a personal decision, and it seems like 90% of the Tips I found found for sale did NOT have it done... Day I bought it, I had LN Single Pro bearing installed. Ironically it had a different aftermarket IMS in it already. My RMS was leaking...slightly. And the AOS WILL have to be replaced at some point. I just did them all when the trans was out (and aux coolant tank). The RMS and AOS are rather inexpensive parts that just make sense to replace if trans is off as it saves you $$$$'s in labor.

The one major benefit of the Tip over the manual... no clutch replacements or clutch cylinder/slaves, ect. Good luck with your search. I lose sleep thinking about driving the car. It is that awesome!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:38 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The very very very first 996 tips (1998/99), like the 993 4 speed tips, has to be put into manual mode before the manual buttons can be used. But that changed while they were still using the ZF gear box...probably for 2000 model year (which mine is...a very late 1999 build date)...and my tip can be instantly put into manual mode while still in drive, just by engaging the buttons. After 8 to 10 seconds, if there are no additional commands, it shifts back into the auto mode. When second gear is too lazy to start in, I (while in drive mode) drop it into first. When I start off it has more bite and it then shifts into second and on. When the engine and trans fluids are cold and the car in auto mode, the default drive mode will hold the car in the lowest gear until 3000 rpm is reached, then it shifts. I find the tip gas mileage in the city pretty bad...12 mpg...but that can also be my driving style to some degree. On the highway...well I never check it...it is whatever it is. The tip is not as quick and precise as the PDK, and it doesn't have the rev matching feature...but even in auto mode, if you floor it (which engages the kick down feature) you will find the shifting easily faster than a manual and almost as good as the PDK. The advantage over the PDK is that mere mortals can easily work on the tip and rebuild it and at a fraction of the cost of the PDK. If you are in stop and go traffic, just put it in manual mode. It will start in second (which is fine for traffic jams) but won't
upshift and give you the low rpm blues.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Vincent T.
Intermediate

The IMS is an open debate you will never get answered. That is a personal decision, and it seems like 90% of the Tips I found found for sale did NOT have it done... Day I bought it, I had LN Single Pro bearing installed. Ironically it had a different aftermarket IMS in it already. My RMS was leaking...slightly. And the AOS WILL have to be replaced at some point. I just did them all when the trans was out (and aux coolant tank). The RMS and AOS are rather inexpensive parts that just make sense to replace if trans is off as it saves you $$$$'s in labor.

The one major benefit of the Tip over the manual... no clutch replacements or clutch cylinder/slaves, ect. Good luck with your search. I lose sleep thinking about driving the car. It is that awesome!
I'm losing sleep trying to find a decent one. I really don't mind if I find a 6 speed or Tiptronic I can live with either. Since you have experience with the IMS, is the IMS Solution that use oil injection the best way to go? Is it also the most expensive fix? I'm aware of the AOS, RMS and all the stuff associated with the tranny that should be replace when tranny is apart. Seems like I have to spend an extra 4 - 5k for proper replacements before I consider getting a 996?
Old 05-22-2017, 02:32 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The best IMS solution is "the" IMS Solution by Jake Raby. And it costs the most because it is the best. If you are getting a 996 and the IMS worries you, fix it right. And yes, plan on putting in $3k to $5k to make sure the car is up to date with all services and to make any preventive fixes that worry you.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Giorginetto
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

I find the tiptronic exceptionally fast in my 03 carrera in manual mode. The auto mode chnages gears depending how you drive , push any tiptronic car for a while and you will notice a difference in auto mode . I find the tiptronic 03 carrera faster than a 03 manual and I am well acustomed with manual 911's....

perhaps that's what does to you 14 years of ownership of a tiptronic 996 carrera ! ( bought from new) ....! no way the 996 tip is slower 0-62 by a sec... i have beaten 996 manuals in 0-100 a number of times .... i think the tip is faster if mastered properly (and assuming the manual driver is a dump blonde..)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:07 PM
Vincent T.
Intermediate

Giorginetto - you had me until the end, I could beat a dumb blonde with a manual on my auto Camry.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 PM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Per the owners manual the Tip is about half a second slower 0-60. In real life I am sure the shifting accuracy makes up for some.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:04 PM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vincent T.
I'm losing sleep trying to find a decent one. I really don't mind if I find a 6 speed or Tiptronic I can live with either. Since you have experience with the IMS, is the IMS Solution that use oil injection the best way to go? Is it also the most expensive fix? I'm aware of the AOS, RMS and all the stuff associated with the tranny that should be replace when tranny is apart. Seems like I have to spend an extra 4 - 5k for proper replacements before I consider getting a 996?
Yes the IMS solution is by far the best way to go. But the parts are an extra thousand bucks, and you have to go to certified place to install it (which I had none close to me). No clue what the labor rate is for IMS solution but I have to assume total parts/labor cost is atleast $1500 over the reg LN bearing swap.... which most shops start around $3000+ for a Benz Tip. I cheaped out and just put the LN PRO bearing in. And while you have everything apart its a great time to do plugs and coils, water pump, coolant, brake flush, blah blah.... Plus the many other small items you are going to find in the process.

I dropped close to 6k AFTER I bought it doing IMS and everything else.

Whatever you decide make you sure get a real good PPI!!!

Last edited by shawn_nj; 05-23-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:46 AM
Vincent T.
Intermediate

Yes the IMS solution is by far the best way to go. But the parts are an extra thousand bucks, and you have to go to certified place to install it (which I had none close to me). No clue what the labor rate is for IMS solution but I have to assume total parts/labor cost is atleast $1500 over the reg LN bearing swap.... which most shops start around $3000+ for a Benz Tip. I cheaped out and just put the LN PRO bearing in. And while you have everything apart its a great time to do plugs and coils, water pump, coolant, brake flush, blah blah.... Plus the many other small items you are going to find in the process.

I dropped close to 6k AFTER I bought it doing IMS and everything else.

Whatever you decide make you sure get a real good PPI!!!
Thank you I really appreciate your advice. If I'm going to have to spend that much more money on replacement parts, why not just buy a 997? I've seen some in the 30k range with low mileage. Did your PPI gave you the thumbs up when you purchase your 996?

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Question 2002