Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone get an LN bearing done AT LN?

Old 05-12-2017, 12:24 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That seals it. Most evil color ever used on a 911.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:11 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Burn it.

AOS and Water pump should be changed every 3 years ideally. Water pump is easy, AOS is a rite of passage.

As for Jake and Charles, they have dedicated a portion of their lives to keeping these cars running in top condition. They are not for the person looking to flip cars in 12 months. But if you want your car to be in the best shape possible and can amortize the expense over 5+ years of ownership they are the best you will find.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Burn it.

AOS and Water pump should be changed every 3 years ideally. Water pump is easy, AOS is a rite of passage.

As for Jake and Charles, they have dedicated a portion of their lives to keeping these cars running in top condition. They are not for the person looking to flip cars in 12 months. But if you want your car to be in the best shape possible and can amortize the expense over 5+ years of ownership they are the best you will find.
If you call me, and you don't want to keep the car forever.... I'll tell you in the first 30 seconds that you are talking to the wrong guy.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1
As many of you probably do not know I recently joined the club with a 2000 C2. As near as I can tell, the car has not had the IMS taken care of. Before purchasing the car I did a bit of homework and ball parked what it might cost to have the bearing done should I purchase a car in need. I called LN Engineering and as it turns out, their shop is a half hour away. While I don't question the bearing itself as an answer to the problem, a few of the things they said on the phone and delivered in a quote (that they volunteered to send) made me a bit uneasy. I was wondering if anyone here has dealt directly with the shop, and if so, how was your experience? Here are some of the things that made me uneasy-

They want to prequalify the car before doing the bearing. I sort of get this, but the car has 19k miles and you can eat off the entire car, inside and out. No leaks, no noises, no consumption, etc. Should the car not pass the test, they can't do the bearing? From all that I've read this is a pass/fail kind of thing. The bearing has either sh#t itself or not.

They were very very eager to give me a "worst case scenario" quote, which frankly totaled the price of a really nice new used motor at almost $9000. It had a laundry list of items on it, from plugs and coils, to water pump, AOS, coolant, clutch, flywheel, brake fluid flush and on and on. I understand that this is a sort of pre-qualification of my pocketbook but it was followed by the statement of "we can't let the car leave our shop unless the job is done right". That makes me just a bit nervous. I'm very comfortable doing nearly everything on the list, yet I don't mind paying someone else to do some of it. It's things like "variocam wear pads" were I start to lose my competency. Frankly, the car has less than 20,000 miles, I'd expect none of these things to be a problem, especially with the condition of the car.

Why can't this stuff be easy? Just put in the damn bearing and don't touch anything else. I'm looking for some advice or suggestions here.
Search & read, the answers are out there.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:50 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
If you call me, and you don't want to keep the car forever.... I'll tell you in the first 30 seconds that you are talking to the wrong guy.
Most people believe at some time of their lives that they will keep their car forever. It rarely happens in reality.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Most people believe at some time of their lives that they will keep their car forever. It rarely happens in reality.
since I started this thread..

I've got a 1993 Notchback Mustang I bought when I was 20 in 1996, my Dad's 1997 Cherokee, and now the Porsche..
Old 05-13-2017, 06:56 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Just based on watching this forum I think your view is clearly incorrect, at least for the 996.

Most people that come here are pretty honest that they didn't buy it to be a keeper. Just a fun car that is way underpriced for it's value that they can have a blast with and then move on in a few years. Some of those short term owners have turned into 5+ year owners because the fell in love.

We certainly do see the occasional "I'm keeping it forever" claims, but they are pretty rare. And there are a few of those that are true and there are even a few original owners kicking about.

I think that's all at least partially to do with the reputation the 996 has. No one in their right mind views it as an investment that is going to appreciate in value in anything other than the extreme long term (like another 10-20 years)
Old 05-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Just based on watching this forum I think your view is clearly incorrect, at least for the 996.

Most people that come here are pretty honest that they didn't buy it to be a keeper. Just a fun car that is way underpriced for it's value that they can have a blast with and then move on in a few years. Some of those short term owners have turned into 5+ year owners because the fell in love.

We certainly do see the occasional "I'm keeping it forever" claims, but they are pretty rare. And there are a few of those that are true and there are even a few original owners kicking about.

I think that's all at least partially to do with the reputation the 996 has. No one in their right mind views it as an investment that is going to appreciate in value in anything other than the extreme long term (like another 10-20 years)

I agree, the entry point on the 996 is great, but the fear mongering convinces them to do repairs before they are required. I think everyone goes in with good intentions to keep the car for awhile, but life, time and other things get in the way and they make a change after they plunked in a huge investment with no return.

I came from the 928 world, Precision Motorwerks in SoCal is the go to for them, and he is booked solid with work. Many people put down double what the car is worth just for one of his stroker motors.

I believe your view about the 996 owners is accurate but Jake said if the owner isn't looking at his 996 as a forever car then he's talking to the wrong guy. Based on their business there must be lots of them out there or at least they believe they are. FSI has a waiting list and all the work they can handle.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:33 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1
I have a garage full of tools,

When I'm done with that, I'll take it for the prequal. If I drop the pan or find debris in the filter I'll order an LS1.
Just DIY. I'm going to do my own. It's not rocket surgery.

Guards red is the proper color. All other colors are wanna-be(except speed yellow, that I can abide).
Old 05-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Just DIY. I'm going to do my own. It's not rocket surgery.

Guards red is the proper color. All other colors are wanna-be(except speed yellow, that I can abide).
I agree, Guards Red Is the PROPER color for the Porsche. All of the cars in silver are examples of cars Porsche primed and forgot to paint. Blacks are just silvers with years of neglect.

Regarding the DIY aspect. The more time I spend on this thread, the more terrified I get. The cost of "maintence" items on this car equal the cost of an LS3 crate motor and conversion kit. I'm beginning to think an LS3 IS preventative maintenance. I love the look, feel, and handling of this car. I even love the flat six howl, but I'd never spend $20,000 to replace the engine in a failure with another glass jaw. I want a lifetime of planting my right foot without the mental equivalent of a bear trap that's gone crush my ankle if I press too hard.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:19 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The 996 is simply a gateway Porsche. I bought mine just because I always wanted a 911, and yes, it was Guards Red. I spent $1000's on upgrades and of course, an LN IMSB. The only reason for the bearing replacement was my overreaction to the Porsche Class Action settlement that surfaced about the same time I needed a new clutch. I incorrectly thought that any eventual buyer would pay more for a car with a replacement bearing.

I realized that I was putting $$$ into the car to make my MY2003 more "modern". A new double din unit gave me Bluetooth, Nav, Phone, etc. A new amp/speakers gave me better sound. Fisters, because they're awesome. Just when I got it where I wanted it, I realized I just wanted a newer car. Sold it and bought my MY2012 997.2.

Now I'm told this engine is subject to bore scoring. Well, ok then. It's always something I guess, and you can only replace so many bearings. I imagine there is more $$$ to be made replacing entire engines, but I've learned my lesson. Just maintain and enjoy.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:42 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
The 996 is simply a gateway Porsche. I bought mine just because I always wanted a 911, and yes, it was Guards Red. I spent $1000's on upgrades and of course, an LN IMSB. The only reason for the bearing replacement was my overreaction to the Porsche Class Action settlement that surfaced about the same time I needed a new clutch. I incorrectly thought that any eventual buyer would pay more for a car with a replacement bearing.

I realized that I was putting $$$ into the car to make my MY2003 more "modern". A new double din unit gave me Bluetooth, Nav, Phone, etc. A new amp/speakers gave me better sound. Fisters, because they're awesome. Just when I got it where I wanted it, I realized I just wanted a newer car. Sold it and bought my MY2012 997.2.

Now I'm told this engine is subject to bore scoring. Well, ok then. It's always something I guess, and you can only replace so many bearings. I imagine there is more $$$ to be made replacing entire engines, but I've learned my lesson. Just maintain and enjoy.
Most solid advice here! I wonder how many good motors / cars have been ruined because of the NEED to replace items guys post about on here. IMO a bone stock unmolested IMS car is worth more to me than one that has been effed with.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:32 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

I was going to let it go too. I bought the full flow filter, the mag drain plug, and I change oil often and send off for inspection. But, this is all in an effort to 'catch it' before catastrophic failure. Of course, the vendors on here will tell you that there is no such thing as 'catch it'. Woe is me to argue with the pros, but that's my philosophy.

Now, having marketed my car - the only question I'm asked is 'did the IMSB get replaced'? The rest of the car could be a flaming wreck, and smell like Cher's cooter but the only thing people want to know is IMSB. So, next month I'll go down there and just get it done. That way everyone can say 'oh - you did the IMSB? It must have failed and filled your crankcase with steel, so... too bad, cya'. eff-em.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

If you can avoid it, I wouldn't waste your money Doc.

You won't get it back in the sale price and you're right that you'll also turn some people off by having it just done.

I would simply include a blurb in your ad making it clear that A) no it has not been replaced, B) you monitor it (as noted) and it has shown no symptoms of failure, and C) this gives them the ability to know exactly what the motor's state is and make their own decisions rather than risk someone covering up an already failing motor.

Then simply ignore the "has the bearing been changed?" idiots that will contact you anyway.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:08 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
If you can avoid it, I wouldn't waste your money Doc.

You won't get it back in the sale price and you're right that you'll also turn some people off by having it just done.

I would simply include a blurb in your ad making it clear that A) no it has not been replaced, B) you monitor it (as noted) and it has shown no symptoms of failure, and C) this gives them the ability to know exactly what the motor's state is and make their own decisions rather than risk someone covering up an already failing motor.

Then simply ignore the "has the bearing been changed?" idiots that will contact you anyway.
Already done that. Just as you said. Not surprising, 100% of the people who've contacted me from this very forum are the one's asking about the IMSB. So, I will refrain from calling them 'idiots' but - you get the idea I guess.

As for the money part of it, I'm doing ok on my investment. If I get serious, it'll go on BaT and I'll make millions!, millions I say! muuuaaahahhahahaaa

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone get an LN bearing done AT LN?