Sponsored by:

996 passenger door won't lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Jaketopsy
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 passenger door won't lock

Just purchased 2001 996, realized the passenger door fails to lock with key(no fob). Also all interior lights do not function. Not sure if issues are related.? I have replaced door lock mechanism with a used one from eBay , possible both are faulty? Aftermarket head unit seems to be wired properly. Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Old 05-10-2017, 02:00 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you mean that you have no fob? What if you turn the key in the drivers door twice? Does the central locking switch work? Are the interior lights switched to off (the switch has three positions). Are there blown fuses? If none of this helps, you need to find someone who can pull Porsche specific codes or if you think you'll be working on the car yourself, buy a code reader that can decode Porsche codes.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:20 PM
Jaketopsy
Cruisin'

Yes no fob, central locking button light goes on intermittent, dome lights don't work in any position . Fuses are good. Looking into Durametric. Something is definitely squirrelly...
Old 05-11-2017, 12:09 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check if the carpet behind the driver seat underneath is MOIST or DAMP.

You may have a wet Immobilizer issue that can cause intermittent issues like those.

Also a quick scan of the Alarm system will let you know a lot.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Jaketopsy
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ECU Doctors

You may have a wet Immobilizer issue that can cause intermittent issues like those.

Everything else seems to work fine, wouldn't driver door not lock if immobilizer was bad? Have a Boxster where the immobilizer got wet & everything was affected. Will test with Durametric...
Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaketopsy
Just purchased 2001 996, realized the passenger door fails to lock with key(no fob). Also all interior lights do not function. Not sure if issues are related.? I have replaced door lock mechanism with a used one from eBay , possible both are faulty? Aftermarket head unit seems to be wired properly. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Hello - take a look at the link below; it should help you troubleshoot your door lock issue. If you need more details, please post a Comment just below the article and we'll do our best to give you specifics.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nd_Handles.htm
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-12-2017, 07:28 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Behind the keyhole is a small rod with a joint on the end and a "paddle" shape on the other end. That paddle is supposed to fit into a slot in the inside part of the lock mechanism. It's likely that it is not in there.

The procedure is to remove the inside part of the door lock mechanism, then undo the bolts that hold the outside (the handle) on, take that whole thing out and look at it, it will be come obvious what the paddle is and where it goes. Easy to do once you look at it, difficult otherwise. Took me a while to figure it out after I replaced the inside part but never took the outside part off. Patted myself on the back for saving all kinds of time, but the lock didn't work, so no joy...

After that's together put the small threaded rod back down into the groove in the black plastic part and slide the collar back over the grooved black plastic part. This connects the door handle itself to the latch mechanism.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Jaketopsy
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
Behind the keyhole is a small rod with a joint on the end and a "paddle" shape on the other end. That paddle is supposed to fit into a slot in the inside part of the lock mechanism. It's likely that it is not in there.

The procedure is to remove the inside part of the door lock mechanism, then undo the bolts that hold the outside (the handle) on, take that whole thing out and look at it, it will be come obvious what the paddle is and where it goes. Easy to do once you look at it, difficult otherwise. Took me a while to figure it out after I replaced the inside part but never took the outside part off. Patted myself on the back for saving all kinds of time, but the lock didn't work, so no joy...

After that's together put the small threaded rod back down into the groove in the black plastic part and slide the collar back over the grooved black plastic part. This connects the door handle itself to the latch mechanism.
Are you talking about the driver side door? Passenger side on my 996 has no keyhole.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Jaketopsy
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Hello - take a look at the link below; it should help you troubleshoot your door lock issue. If you need more details, please post a Comment just below the article and we'll do our best to give you specifics.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nd_Handles.htm
Thanks, I used your write-up to remove the mechanism initially. Unfortunately the problem remains..
Old 05-13-2017, 01:14 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaketopsy
Are you talking about the driver side door? Passenger side on my 996 has no keyhole.
Sorry, yes I was. I assumed that the 2001's were different vs my 2002 (one of the Mk1 vs Mk2 changes) since you said it didn't lock with the key. Now I understand that you likely meant it didn't lock along with the driver's door when you used the key over there...
Old 05-13-2017, 04:19 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There seem to be a recent spate of locking issues or perhaps I'm overly sensitive to them since I am a current sufferer. My guess is that it is related to the alarm control module as ECU Doctors has suggested.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Jaketopsy
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bal
Do you mean that you have no fob? What if you turn the key in the drivers door twice? Does the central locking switch work? Are the interior lights switched to off (the switch has three positions). Are there blown fuses? If none of this helps, you need to find someone who can pull Porsche specific codes or if you think you'll be working on the car yourself, buy a code reader that can decode Porsche codes.
Fault Code P1571-Immobilizer shows up and a bunch of other "lock limit not reached" type codes. I don't think the module has seen water so I'm stumped. Car does have an aftermarket radio w/ a ton of amp wiring as well as a radar detector...
Old 05-22-2017, 02:39 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Another example of the "electro-techno" crap world. Anybody remember when you just put a key in a lock and turned it and the door opened? And it worked on both doors! In all the cars I've owned with simple mechanical locks, I never had a problem. Electronic keys and fobs are meant for fat assed women with their arms full of packages trying to get in their cars.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Jaketopsy
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ECU Doctors

What is general cost of immobilizer swap out? Do u also program keys/fobs? The only key I have is the small valet key, thanks!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:34 AM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jake,

Sorry for the late reply

There are factors the affect the price to replace and swap Porsche Immobilizers.

Usually between a new Immobilizer + Programming + Transferring Remotes Fobs it becomes $775 with 5 Years Warranty.

Additional key fobs go from $55 (valet / lighted key heads) to $200 (fully functional remote)
The following users liked this post:
igrip (08-23-2023)

Quick Reply: 996 passenger door won't lock