Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PSA: If you upgraded your Durametric software before May 3rd, upgrade it again!

Old 05-06-2017, 01:28 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PSA: If you upgraded your Durametric software before May 3rd, upgrade it again!

I updated my Durametric to 6.5.3.5 last week. It turns out that it has some issues resetting codes. This seems to have been fixed in 6.5.3.6 released on 5/3/17, which I installed today. I was able to successfully clear my airbag code. Because of this bug, I unfortunately wasted a lot of time trying to troubleshoot a non-existent airbag issue.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:48 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks bal.

Eddie
Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Will do! Thx for the heads up 😄
Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 AM
mlee2122
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kept telling them that my airbag light wouldn't reset. they kept telling me that i had a airbag or wiring problem! I gave up and went to dealer and they reset it in couple minutes...at a cost of 1/2 hr labor!!

I knew it was a durametric issue!!

Thanks for posting this and hopefully i won't need to reset my airbag light in the future but nice to know that eventhough they fustrated me and wouldn't admit it that they eventually realized it and fixed their software!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mlee2122
I kept telling them that my airbag light wouldn't reset. they kept telling me that i had a airbag or wiring problem!
This really tics me off. They did the same thing to me knowing full well they had a bug in their latest gen cable. I finally hounded them to send me an older cable based on an RL post. At first they sent me a replacement of the one I had, didn't work. Then they finally sent me the previous gen and everything magically worked. I told them they already had a bad reputation for telling everyone it's the airbag wiring not their cable. I absolutely will not recommend this company because of it.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:48 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

The only thing that made me realize what was going on was that I had an airbag error that I was unable to clear and a bunch of alarm/lock errors that would not clear but used to clear just fine. The airbag error made me check the wiring, replace the seat belt buckle and order the wiring kit. All this made me wonder if the cable had gone bad. Then I checked the website and saw the update that specifically mentions "fixes fault code erase on some models". Since the "check for updates" feature doesn't work for me on Windows 10, it's a bloody good job I checked the website. It is all quite frustrating, even more so when there's no affordable alternative!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:01 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
This really tics me off. They did the same thing to me knowing full well they had a bug in their latest gen cable. I finally hounded them to send me an older cable based on an RL post. At first they sent me a replacement of the one I had, didn't work. Then they finally sent me the previous gen and everything magically worked. I told them they already had a bad reputation for telling everyone it's the airbag wiring not their cable. I absolutely will not recommend this company because of it.
+1 If they know their cable/software doesn't play well with the '99 C2, they shouldn't try to blame push the blame onto the car and customer.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:18 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

I came across this Foxwell reader that has specific software for Porsche. Looking at the modules it works with and what it can do, it appears to have functional equivalence to Durametric, and it is self-contained. It also does not have a VIN limitation. All for $155. Whether it really works, and how well is another matter. Also, it is fundamentally still software so bugs remain a fact of life. However, had I known about it I would have probably tried it before buying Durametric.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

WE've had complaints about Durametric Service before.
Durametric do not seem to be listening to us diy-ers. They seem to respond to the Pros.
I understand that ignorant amateurs can be a pain to deal with but that is the market they chose to serve with the Enthusiast Version.
It is a far more serious condemnation of Durametric if they just stonewall us about defects in their software and hardware that they are not only aware of but are actively trying to fix.
Not surprisingly they now have a competitor - FOXWELL .
This market was owned by Durametric- solid. If they don't get this attitude fixed they will loose it because if I have to pay the Dealer to do what my Duramteric should do - why don't I just dump it and buy the competitor- Foxwell?
Get a grip Durametric !We don't need you anymore. Foxwell is self contained & is way more convenient than having to use a Durametric cable with a Laptop !
http://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale...e-and-obd.html

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 05-06-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: FOXWELL alternative Durametric
Old 05-06-2017, 01:50 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

There's also iCarsoft. Not sure how it compares. Similar price point to Foxwell. http://www.icarsoft.com/web/icarsoft...32y40p9_1.html
Old 05-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Ogr8frogy
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

The icarsoft doesn't work well with the early cars. I bought it last year hoping it would be a good substitute for the durametric,
I heard it works well with 02 cars and up. Just got the durametric and so far it seems to work good, downloaded the software on the 4th so I guess I'm good.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

"Good" ? Only if it is 3.6. For now.
And who knows how many other updates are required to de-bug it. Hopefully Durametric read this Forum and will listen to all the issues & then succeed in a comprehensive update ?
It is a great product but ...they are making themselves a soft target for competitors.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:59 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone purchased and used the Foxwell? I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and buying a Durametric - would be curious to hear about the differences and experiences from someone with first hand experience.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:05 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Guess I'm a lone Durametric fan. They've answered every question I asked and Durham himself helped me out a few times.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:52 PM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

No Durametric fan here. I told them well over two years ago about the limitation of their SW to reset the three separate service reminders in my Cayman. I gladly offered my car for any testing they may need.

"Why yes, that is a problem and our developers are working on it."

Like I said, that was 2+ years ago and nary a word from them. I always had to initiate contact and followed up every few weeks and then just gave up after a year or so.

The market does offer alternatives so I'm just waiting for the right one.

They are dead to me.

Eddie

Last edited by eddielasvegas; 05-07-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSA: If you upgraded your Durametric software before May 3rd, upgrade it again!