996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mystery hard start

Old 05-04-2017, 09:26 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
One thing I regret is not attempting the Y cable replacement mysel​​​​​f, I had the OPC do it.

Once the plenum is off it doesn't look impossible to do.
I'd do it but I have 0 time and I want to drive my car.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
IMHO do not do a starter rebuild. If you are going to have it out for any reason, put in a brand new one. My OE died and I replaced with a Bosch rebuilt starter. Bad idea. Lasted about 12 months and blew the bendix. Replaced with a new Bosch stater and it has been all good for 3 years now. Daily driver and I hit that starter 5-6 times daily. You can get one off Amazon for a fair price.
The part is already bought, and I've never had issue with the rebuild starters in my other cars.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:36 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I'd do it but I have 0 time and I want to drive my car.
Completely understand, just booked mine in some minor work with the OPC recently (clutch squeak issue) and having them do a wheel alignment as well because I dont have time to get it done anywhere else during the week.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Clark78
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2017, 11:59 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

just picked up the car after getting the reman starter and new y cable put in. also had the alternator pulley replaced as the clutch was done.

Holy smokes! the old starter was definitely on its way out. the thing turns over faster than any of my other cars. drove for 45 min and filled with gas...and no more hot start issues either! Really happy with that.

but, I did a quick 2-3 WOT pull and the battery light quickly flashed at me. it's done this to me a couple of times before and we thought that the fact the alternator clutch pulley was done, that would be the culprit...but no. I'll tripple check the battery cables, belt is new. any other ideas?
Old 05-11-2017, 12:15 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
just picked up the car after getting the reman starter and new y cable put in. also had the alternator pulley replaced as the clutch was done.
What'd it run you? Have the same thing, though even when warm it's sporadic.

If you google 996 slow start the links are very helpful.

Originally Posted by joelpirela
The problem is the positive cable that goes from the middle of the transmission to the starter/alternator. An over-crimped connection from the factory makes the cable transfer less electricity once it gets hot from the engine bay. I'm testing now to replace my cable with the 997 version to see if I can get rid of the slow start. My alternator/starter/battery are new and the problem still persist. You will get better start once they replace the starter, because the new/fresh connection to the cable, but it will degrade with time again.

joel
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post8751393
Old 05-11-2017, 12:20 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

starter was $180 iirc and the cable was $75. about 2 hours labor.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:25 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ty

more info on this

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...tage-problems/
Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Heres a vid of cold start...amongst another cold start

Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

Update: PWB is replacing the battery, the starter, and since they are knee-deep in the engine bay, the Y Cable too. I'm choosing not to think so much about what this will cost as I am about how many Visa points I will be receiving. Most of us have gotten to the point where the upkeep of our cars has way surpassed market value. My mantra is "ilovemycarilovemycarilovemycar"

Porsche West Broward (a Penske dealership) has the car and is going over it inch by inch. Y Cable was found to be in good shape, so the last I heard they were looking at the battery and the starter. They smile when they see the huge Do Not Wash This Car sign I left on the dash (freaking Champion's wash guys swirled the snot out of it years ago and while it's fixed, I remain traumatized)

So far, PWB is treating me right. And of course I'm 1000% behaving with a loaner Macan.

Last edited by porschedog; 05-12-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:07 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

Update: Replaced battery, starter and Y Cable. Delay was in getting parts here from the Motherland. Now the car roars into life. Much happiness. Thank you PWB.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:49 PM
neadaporsh
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default hard starting

battery seems to always be dead....when fully charged car starts fine....after a 10 or so mile drive, car behaves like a dead or dying battery and wont start...Voltage of battery is fine and it matches at the jump box but car still won't start as if battery is dead. Help
Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by neadaporsh
battery seems to always be dead....when fully charged car starts fine....after a 10 or so mile drive, car behaves like a dead or dying battery and wont start...Voltage of battery is fine and it matches at the jump box but car still won't start as if battery is dead. Help
​​​​​​
Possible alternator to starter cable, same thing was happening to me because the cable wouldn't let voltage through it the battery wouldn't charge however could also be an alternator issue.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:03 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by neadaporsh
In the morning, when the car is cold, place your hand on the alternator and see if it is warm. If it is, the diodes on the voltage regulator on the backside of the alternator are going bad. You can replace just the voltage regulator on the alternator, but it does require removing the alternator which sometimes can be a PITA. Search the forum for alternator voltage regulator.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:11 PM
neadaporsh
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think its an alternator issue since I can drive the car without running out of elect juice. Battery seems to stay charged as voltage will read 11+ volts when car won't start reacts like a dead battery just Dead engine is not turning over and just clicking from starter
nd starter clicks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery hard start