Scheduled 5/12 - 1st DE at Road America on bone stock 996.1 C2

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by rogazilla
Awesome! Please share your experience!

I have changed oil and will change after the event as well. Brake fluid will be changed before the event. Brake pad is confirmed by the shop here again its 60% and I will check between sessions.

However, would be great to hear your feedback!
Are you also going to this same event, or a different event?
Old 05-10-2017, 11:08 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to CMP (South Carolina) for the SCCA track night america event on June 15th. With Koni discount its 125. Perfect for me to get familiar with the car I think Need to go bug some 'instructor' that day though.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:40 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Well, I have an update after spending a day at Road America with my 996.1.

First and foremost, the people make these events what they are - an amazing time. Lots a good folks there, and many different types of cars. Anything from the usual Porsche's, BMWs, Miatas, but even entry level Acuras all the way through to Ferraris, Stock cars, and even a Porsche 918 (I don't think the 918 raced).

The 996 handled beautifully. I was able to reel in a 2.54 lap time in the beginner group with lots of traffic. The running temps according to the gauge were 104-107F at 65F ambient. It's a good thing I got those track pads though, because they never faded. I did have a heat soak issue, though, and boiled the brake fluid after I had to come in for a quick pit stop after a hot lap. There's a good reason right there for warm up and cool down laps. I had to go in because it took 10 mins to get my brake back.

All in all, I ended up receiving a lot of compliments of my car. There is something about a Porsche, let me tell you. I was able to catch up to other, more powerful cars, and pass them on the track. The braking power in this car was incredible.

My instructor was awesome. He took me for a ride in his GTR, and while that car was epic, I couldn't help but notice that a Caymen GTS was very difficult to chase down in that GTR (560HP), even on the straights.

Here's a 4 min video of me (screwing up some lines) but still chasing down a couple of M3s and a Ferrari: https://youtu.be/KkP9U17OOOk
Old 05-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun! I just didn't want to run my car with the low oil pressure on the sweeping turn at Blackhawk.

Now I want to track my car again! But I sold my track pads to you!

;-)
Old 05-14-2017, 06:25 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Looks like a lot of fun! I just didn't want to run my car with the low oil pressure on the sweeping turn at Blackhawk.

Now I want to track my car again! But I sold my track pads to you!

;-)
I think there's still plenty of life left in those pads. I only did one day.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:44 PM
bpu699

Default A

Glad you had a good time... Didn't know ra had a track day this weekend. Was it the hpde class or an open track day?

Suprised you boiled your brakes. Are you sure you bled them right?

With fresh fluid, it should be near impossible as a beginner...

One weird thing to be aware of when you do a ra event... There doesn't seem to be any liability coverage...

When you run pca or scca, if something happens, you have millions in club coverage.

As far as I understand it, running a ra there is zilch in coverage. If you spin out and fly into a crowd of people... God help you.

If this is wrong, I would love to be corrected...

For ra track events they insist you have car insurance. Yet, they must know full well, it likely had no effect...

I feel much safer running a pca event...
Old 05-14-2017, 08:56 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bpu699
Was it the hpde class or an open track day?

Suprised you boiled your brakes. Are you sure you bled them right?

One weird thing to be aware of when you do a ra event... There doesn't seem to be any liability coverage...

I feel much safer running a pca event...
It was a LAPS event, not PCA or HPDE. But we had instructors.

The only time I boiled my brakes was after I came to a stop after being called in for a black flag. I was experimenting with brake zones and force and probably had made the brakes heat up more than usual by increasing my braking zone and then not cooling them off with 130+mph runs down the straights. Then came to a complete stop. That was the only time my bakes went to the floor. Otherwise, they were excellent.

I didn't think any track event was really a safe zone for insurance claims?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:00 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You ran Mobil 1 oil and survived? I'm shocked. I thought you would never make it through the day without extra special "racing oil." Who knew!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:54 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
You ran Mobil 1 oil and survived? I'm shocked. I thought you would never make it through the day without extra special "racing oil." Who knew!
That's not how risk works, fyi.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:00 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Sounds like a great time! other than the boiling brakes... Scary moment... I missed if you have flushed the brake fluid?

I am going to do mine memorial day weekend. Anything you brought to the track that helped the day or something you wish you brought but didn't?

I read from previous notes and figure the following:
basic tools, water, tarp... Anything else?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I made it to this event on Saturday, it was a HPDE event with 3 categories. Most fast street cars were in the intermediate group, with race cars and stupid fast street cars in the fastest group.

The old 996 gt3 held its own. Funny how some people in drivers meeting thought they should tell others how to drive their cars. Stupid arrogance I guess.

Good event with a lot of parity in this group. First session was packed with some ignoring passing flags, by the end of the day it thinned out and it was easy to get clean laps with no delays on points!

the 918 guy is another Barrington resident who lives a couple doors down from a good friend who's a Porsche guy. He was there with his viper friends which there were a ton of vipers present on track. More than I've seen in years.

fyi: the clip for mass air flow sensor failed at the end of my first session, feels like fuel system pressure or random engine shutdown and refire. Heavy bucking is key indicator. Zip tie cures a lot for a single day!
Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rogazilla
Sounds like a great time! other than the boiling brakes... Scary moment... I missed if you have flushed the brake fluid?

I am going to do mine memorial day weekend. Anything you brought to the track that helped the day or something you wish you brought but didn't?

I read from previous notes and figure the following:
basic tools, water, tarp... Anything else?
I guess it would be scary if it happened on the track, but it happened while stopped.

Yes, for track days, it's a good idea to take anything you can think of that will help you or a friend out. Things like:

Brake Pads, spare parts, any type of fluid for the car, Toolbox, Zip ties, Microfiber cloths
Snacks, food, and water
Tire pressure gauge (I took my bike pump)
Protection from the sun (sunscreen, hat or umbrella)
Chairs to sit in
Duct and Painters tape
Car number

Honestly, you can bring the world and have a problem you cannot fix, or you can bring nothing and just get lucky. But we brought all sorts of things, because again, you never know what you'll need and to help a friend or stranger is a nice way to make these events really a great experience.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:53 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

^^^ DE's are less intense and generally require less support stuff, but when I was racing I would describe it as: 'Going racing is like packing for an expedition up Mt. Everest.......with a car'

Hope you enjoyed your weekend at RA.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

When I raced super bikes I had to bring 2 for each category I was racing in. In hindsight racing Aprilia's was about the most expensive i could have chosen but they were great till they changed the rules. Anyhow you can't pack up and go home if you have a simple crash, but if it tumbles you need frame and suspension, can you say trailer load of spares! Don't be fooled by the size of bikes if your serious about racing a superbike its as expensive as a car, when you have to come to terms with being able to rite off the bike when you crash!

Gave that up for cars, I do hedge however so I go with a gt3 that is fully prepped!

Originally Posted by David993S
^^^ DE's are less intense and generally require less support stuff, but when I was racing I would describe it as: 'Going racing is like packing for an expedition up Mt. Everest.......with a car'

Hope you enjoyed your weekend at RA.

Quick Reply: Scheduled 5/12 - 1st DE at Road America on bone stock 996.1 C2