996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Clutch squeak?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:03 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Sounds like the noise is coming from under the car. You can remove the clutch slave and lube the end of its rod, where it presses on the release arm. If that doesn't fix it, it's something imside the tranny and dropping it is the only way to lube the components inside.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:07 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks Ahsai, the problem actually because quite significant over the weekend the clutch squeak from the underside of the car went away and the pedal stopped returning to the full out position. So I could push it in and get in gear but upon clutch release it would get 3/4 of the way up and stop. I'd have to put my shoe under the pedal give it a small bump and it would spring back. These isn't enough pressure in the line to return the pedal. Could that be the slave, master or both?

Or something inside the gearbox which i'm hoping is unlikely as the box was out under 3,000kms ago and it had all new parts: flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing and clutch disk.

Other than the pedal all other gearbox operation was working as it should.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Dan did you read my post #5? I had same symptoms with my car. Only creaked once car had warmed up also. I replaced the slave cylinder first, didn't help but once I replaced the release arm the noise and pedal action was fixed.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:09 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hardback
Dan did you read my post #5? I had same symptoms with my car. Only creaked once car had warmed up also. I replaced the slave cylinder first, didn't help but once I replaced the release arm the noise and pedal action was fixed.
Thanks hardback, that issue was actually fixed and it was fork arm related it was a bad throw out bearing which was probably destroyed by the LWFW I had. Dealership replaced it and the noise was gone.

Now 8 months later the pedal won't return to full up position, the same as this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/828511-clutch-problem-pedal-is-kicking-at-me.html

That was resolved by a new master cylinder.

The dealership want to remove the gearbox to find the squeak but I believe that because they reassembled everything with new parts (flywheel, clutch disk, throw out bearing and pressure plate) it should be on them. Not sure how that's going to go.

Anyway the priority at this point is getting the clutch pedal working again and they aren't really diagnosing the culprit, just wanting the drop the gearbox at my expense...
Old 05-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel your pain. These cars require an insane amount of money, maintenance and patience to keep running properly. I cant tell you how many parts I've replaced over the last 8 years of ownership including an engine rebuild. AND I still need to replace all control arms. Good luck with diagnosis and hoping the repair goes easy on your wallet.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:45 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hardback
I feel your pain. These cars require an insane amount of money, maintenance and patience to keep running properly. I cant tell you how many parts I've replaced over the last 8 years of ownership including an engine rebuild. AND I still need to replace all control arms. Good luck with diagnosis and hoping the repair goes easy on your wallet.
Thanks, definitely painful, seems to always be something going wrong or happening The last word from the dealership was "we will sort it all out" to which I replied don't do anything without my okay! haha see how we go...

My parts list continues to grow and its only been 3 years, luckily i've been able to do a few things myself and i'm getting better at it. Also the community is great for advice and knowledge!

I just did the control arms, fronts were easy, rears not so much.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:45 AM
dan_189
Race Car

So just an update on this, interestingly there was nothing wrong with the gearbox or the hydraulic system! It was the pedal assembly that was un-lubricated. So the OPC removed it lubricated it and re installed it

Had the alignment done, all good!

Squeak hasn't come back yet, hoping that it never does!
Old 05-29-2017, 02:42 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by dan_189
So just an update on this, interestingly there was nothing wrong with the gearbox or the hydraulic system! It was the pedal assembly that was un-lubricated. So the OPC removed it lubricated it and re installed it

Had the alignment done, all good!

Squeak hasn't come back yet, hoping that it never does!
Well, spoke too soon... Same issue presented itself whilst on the way home from the OPC. They have it again now they are thinking either clutch slave or master which was my first thought... Mist likely the slave as it would make sense that it started making noise and now it's slowly failing. Luckily I was able to get it there without grinding any gears or losing any clutch action.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Arne Klinge
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this on my previous 996 Carrera Mk2. Got it fixed by the official Porsche workshop here on warranty. The day I sold it I could hear it begin again, faintly. About a year after it got fixed. Only happened when warm and had been driving for some time.

link to thread with videos
Old 05-29-2017, 10:10 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Arne Klinge
I got this on my previous 996 Carrera Mk2. Got it fixed by the official Porsche workshop here on warranty. The day I sold it I could hear it begin again, faintly. About a year after it got fixed. Only happened when warm and had been driving for some time.

link to thread with videos
Yep exactly the same noise I had last year, fixed with a new throw out bearing!

I've got a new problem that the pedal wont return, I think its either the clutch slave or master.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:19 PM
craigmakes321
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Clutch squeek

I get a "chirp" on occasion, but usually when the car is cold. Often times I am at a stop with the car pointing slightly uphill, or when it is damp out. Only seems to happen in first gear. Definitely not the pedal assembly. Anyone else have this experience?

Keith
Old 05-30-2017, 09:59 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by craigmakes321
I get a "chirp" on occasion, but usually when the car is cold. Often times I am at a stop with the car pointing slightly uphill, or when it is damp out. Only seems to happen in first gear. Definitely not the pedal assembly. Anyone else have this experience?

Keith
Someone else might have direct experience with this but from what I've learnt it could be:

- slave cylinder
- pressure plate
- throw out bearing
- internal lubrication of the gearbox

How many kms/miles and how old are the various components?
Old 05-31-2017, 02:27 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Quick update, the pedal not coming back up was in fact the slave cylinder (my thought all along!).

Anyway thought this morning that I should have the OPC replace the master cylinder whilst the system was drained but they replaced it before I could ask them to do it

Anyone have any issues with replacing the slave and not the master?

Quick Reply: Clutch squeak?!