Sponsored by:

Drive side rear seat soaked

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:03 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Drive side rear seat soaked

I know there are lots of these topics out there, I've gone through every one I could find.
It's been very wet here, and I've been keeping the car outside until yesterday. (I need to sell a car I guess!)
'03 C2 w/sunroof. Sunroof drains are clear. No detectable moisture above the seat bottom. Light moisture on the driver rear floor, I think from foam wicking moisture from rear seat bottom pan. Pulled driver rear seat, side panel, carpet section covering strut mounts, and pulled carpet up on rear seat and rear seat floor. Foam was like a wet sponge.. No detectable wetness on strut "shelf", no moisture on any foam below quarter window, no moisture found under rear window (needless to say headliner bone dry). Had a bud spray all over roof, and side of car while I sat inside and inspected. Could not find a source!

My one suspicion is a satellite radio antenna routed through the third brake light opening. Anyone know what cavity is below the third brake light? Couldn't find a good diagram in my Bentley. Maybe it's filling a cavity, then coming through one of the rubber plugs in the seat pan?? I'm already blaming this on stereo installer hacks (was there when I bought it).
Next step: Pull passenger rear side panel & seat, center console, and remove full rear carpet. Not sure how to pull rearmost carpet shelf below rear window. Anyone tell me how to do that?

Sorry in advance for long post.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:57 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Did you check the front drains located under the trunk lid next to the battery? Good idea to get everything out and dried. You may have to even remove the seats and dry everything. The DME is located under the seat and water does bad things to it.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:10 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Yea, checked every drain. No moisture at all under driver seat.

Questions distilled:
Anyone know where water would go if it made it in the third light opening?
Can someone point me in the right direction on how to remove the rearmost carpeted shelf under the rear window?
Could water come up from the left rear seat (or in through rubber plugs)?

I know there's a million ways to get water in the car just hoping someone has a thought I haven't tried or thought of..
Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I think this same thing came up a few months ago and it was a rear or quarter window seal. They get hard after 17 years...
Old 04-26-2017, 05:20 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Yessir. Checked that. Crouched in the back side panel off, hose blasting. I swear there's a little magic well under the rear seat pan..
Old 04-28-2017, 12:54 AM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Default Solved

So, the sunroof drain worked and wasn't clogged. But, the hose was cracked and gooey where it connects to the track drain fitting. My guess is someone lubed the sunroof with some rubber corrosive lube that made its way down the drain tube. I pulled the entire rear interior out by the time I double checked the simple things again. Anyway, it's nice to know I won't have water in my car anymore.. for now.
At least I now have pulled the undergarments of her That's where the rear drain connects second pic just for reference. Got more pics if anyone needs an x-ray for diagnosis.
Now to find a drain tube, or magic fix wrap. Maybe that spray on water tight stuff from the infomercials? lol

Old 04-28-2017, 12:56 AM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Mods would you please edit the title to "solved"
Thanks
Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Lol, "Flexseal"
Old 04-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Luch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job finding the issue. I appreciate the pics, it's a good reference in case I ever have issues!

Chris

Quick Reply: Drive side rear seat soaked