Sponsored by:

I think I just got burnt!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 10:21 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rporzio
Was thinking about your thread last night and reread most of it this morning... Such a shame , it must be so frustrating to think that it all started back in April and here we are in July and you still don't have your car. I'm a relatively new owner, 3 years this past June, and picked up mine under similar circumstances (we drove up to Virginia and back to Tampa) but with much different results. I'm hoping that it all works out well for you. Ralph

Thanks for the kind words man. The furthur removed I get from when this happened, the more I think I got fleeced. Its a lesson learned about the inherent evils of the human race.

The guy told me he listened to the car with a stethoscope haha, I should have ran when he let that one slip coupled with the thicker oil.

These are things that needed mentioned when I asked is there anything odd about the csr when we started the process. Not when he lets the stethoscope comment slip after a 7 hour drive. The only reason you listen to a car with a stethoscope is because you hear something. Im sure after that listening session he decided to up the oil viscosity.

Thankfully this is only a 14k dollar lesson where the end result is going to be a mean Jake Raby build. I've learned a lot from it and will move on.

Then again I could be wrong.....
Old 07-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Blrmkr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Given all that you have been through you have the right perspective. My interactions with Rennlisters has been very positive and I migrate to the site for expert advice. Choosing FSI was the best decision. Can't say enough positive things about JR.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:57 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

There is no doubt that Jake and his team at FSI are a few notches above the rest.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

It's a blessing in disguise and you'll end up with a long term keeper. You'll never have to lose sleep at night or every time you step on the gas...
Old 07-04-2017, 02:35 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
It's a blessing in disguise and you'll end up with a long term keeper. You'll never have to lose sleep at night or every time you step on the gas...

Exactly. Buying a higher mileage care I knew the possibilities. I planned on having to rebuild down the road, but I just didn't plan on it happening so soon.

Just like you said Bill, my stress and anxiety over driving a ticking time bomb didn't last long.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:31 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

It is getting to be that time of the year folks....Tear-down and rebuild time. I just spoke with Judd at FSI and he was nice enough to send me some photos of my tear-down. There were wasn't a catastrophic failure with the engine just some wear items, but it was time for a rebuild.

I'll provide a refresher for people that forgot what happened 6 months ago. I bought a vehicle out of Illinois off a man that worked as an engineer at Caterpillar. He was an enthusiast, but was selling the car because he was transferring to Arizona. He seemed like an 'honest' guy and I built some trust off the fact that he was a fellow engineer.

Well, we talked about his vehicle and he mentioned that he was running 20w50 in the vehicle, because he was moving. I'd say it's safe to say this was a lie and he was running it to mask engine noises. After the car purchase occurred he mentioned that he had listened to the engine with a stethoscope and everything sounded fine. Lets be honest, you only listen to a car with a stethoscope because you hear something. In typical idiot gnarbowski fashion I trust the guy and continue.

I set up a PPI where we change the oil back to a 5w40 and the vehicle was inspected for wear and tear along with a nice flogging after the oil change. Mechanic reports back that the car drives great and he would have zero problems buying the vehicle. I'm feeling good at this point and like the price that we negotiated down to. The wife and I head out to bum **** middle of nowhere Illinois and complete the deal after I drive and listen to the vehicle for an hour.

Fast forward an hour or two....We pull up to the hotel and I hear my worst nightmare unfold. We end up sending the car to Jake for a 3.8L Stage II engine. Seller doesn't openly admit guilt, but decides to pay for flatbed cost to Georgia. IMO opinion him doing that was an admission of guilt. I need to give him a call to catch up to tell him about car he sold me

Here we are 6 months later and my engine cases have been split and looked at. A few cracked coil packs, worn bearings, and worn cylinder walls later. Pictures below.

*******disclaimer******* If you intend to troll this thread please be a big boy and don't post. I'm sure that will be difficult for a few of you.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:23 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Good to hear that things are moving forward. So ultimately because the engine was toast, will this reduce the rebuild cost? You lost this summer.....but you are really going to love next summer!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:04 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the update Gnarb & good luck with the remaining waiting period.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

+1. The wait will be worth it, as you already know.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:22 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Keep looking forward...
Old 12-02-2017, 12:35 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

I can't wait to get it back man. Next summer will be fun.

The seller is aware of the thread and hasn't posted in it. Thank you for joining in on the discussion and expressing your thoughts.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Subscribed. Any close up photos of the cylinder walls and did they find the cause of the knocking?

I think at 110k miles, most can benefit from a rebuild regardless because the cylinder walls will be ovaled and tapered and most components will need replacing such as the chain/cam pads and valve lifters. Can be all addressed thoroughly.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:17 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Great to open a thread and see some photos of an opened motor! Not under the best circumstances I understand.. But, I can't wait to here about the new motor. You're gonna have a fun rig when all said and done!
Hope it all goes smooth as possible.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:29 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Can someone that’s used to looking at these pics tell me what they see? What looks good, what looks worn, and if anything looks failed? Thx.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:34 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Subscribed. Any close up photos of the cylinder walls and did they find the cause of the knocking?

I think at 110k miles, most can benefit from a rebuild regardless because the cylinder walls will be ovaled and tapered and most components will need replacing such as the chain/cam pads and valve lifters. Can be all addressed thoroughly.
I didn't get any pictures of the cylinder walls.

Quick Reply: I think I just got burnt!