996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Starter Motor

Old 04-05-2018, 01:14 AM
Porschetech3
User

Originally Posted by dan_189 View Post
Gents, what's the best way to remove the lower starter bolt without removing the alternator?

I'm fairly comfortable with the R&R procedure but when we did this on the weekend we had the alternator removed which provided clear access to the lower starter bolt. I'm not too keen on removing the alternator if I don't have to.

What ways have people gotten to the second bolt?
​​​​​​
Use a socket with straight extension the length of the starter, THEN a swivel and long extension to angle up over the top of the alternator to your ratchet, works as well as anything.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:46 AM
dan_189
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3 View Post
Use a socket with straight extension the length of the starter, THEN a swivel and long extension to angle up over the top of the alternator to your ratchet, works as well as anything.
Brilliant, thanks Porschetech3, am I correct in assuming something like this:

Old 04-05-2018, 02:17 AM
dan_189
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also found this image which ill try if I cant get it from above, means ill have to take off one of the pulleys and drive belt. Assuming they use two extensions? One to the starter, a U joint and then one the rest of the way? Would be good to get a torque wrench straight onto that extension.

Anyone know the torque for the pulley that runs off the alternator securing bolt? Might look it up now.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:10 PM
z driver 88t
Addict
Rennlist Member

Since you already ordered the new starter, this may not matter. That whine following a cold start is pretty common as the miles add up. Burner's Garage has a good video tutorial for disassembling this starter (same as on a Boxster) and fixing that whine. Might be worth attempting when you get the old starter out to give yourself a good spare.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:42 PM
ocfservice
Addict
Rennlist Member

no reason to remove alternator. The pic you have with extension is nearly perfect if that weren't so darn long.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 PM
dan_189
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone, I'll report back once I'm done

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter Motor

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: