Front inner CV joint assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:09 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Front inner CV joint assembly question

Greetings

In the process of doing my front CV boots and needed to disassemble my inner joints in order to get the new boots on. I've found a thread on the 964 forum that documents the orientation of the 3 joint sections (outer race, cage, and inner race) as well as this pictures from Pelican's site that shows the genuine Porsche part.

However, I just opened up my passenger side inner boot and the joint is not assembled the same way. The side of the inner race with the shoulder is facing outwards (toward the wheel) and the side of the cage with the bevel is facing inwards (away from the wheel).

I'm not sure exactly what to make of it. Anyone have any pictures of theirs or words of wisdom to share?

Cheers
Charlie

Last edited by charlieaf92; 04-20-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

For anyone that digs this thread up in the future with the same question. I've confirmed the raised shoulder on the inner race should go towards the axle side. The genuine part picture I referenced earlier is a revised design that doesn't have a shoulder on either side. In either case, one side has slightly recessed splines at the end - that is the side that goes on the axle first.

As for the inner cage bevel orientation - it seems that they come either way directly from the manufacturer. Maybe the orientation doesn't matter unless it's an extreme application like an off road or ATV type vehicle. I'd recommend noting it's orientation before you disassemble and putting it back the way that you found it.

I've made a video documenting how to reassemble properly and will post it in a followup summary thread that outlines my learnings from this project.

Quick Reply: Front inner CV joint assembly question