Sponsored by:

Happy Easter All_Opinion Requested from C4S owners especially

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:35 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 91One
Slight threadjack... Syncro, would you be able to post the article in the positive 996 articles thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-articles.html)? I know it's 15 years old but I'd be interested in reading it. Thanks!
Oh yeah, I see that now, excitement got the better of me. I will post that article and another (I assume it is allowed, since there are other forums that don't allow the posting of commercially published stuff).
Old 04-17-2017, 04:26 PM
91One
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol - it's me who's threadjacking, not you. Didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't have posted that here, I just want to read the article.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Oregoncoaststi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid 30.5k for my 2003 C4S 66k miles on it in January 2017, Porsche dealer replaced the imsb with Ln eng in 2014 with 50k miles
Old 04-17-2017, 05:43 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Eddie, email me if you are near San Diego...
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM
lingpoen
Racer

marcus@healthdirect2u.com
Old 04-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Micaceli
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not a bad price. One of the motors mounts is deff gone (on the drivers side)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind that it has the standard audio system. Not the Bose system upgrade option. This means that not only will the sound quality be barely tolerable by any modern standards, but upgrading it is not a simple plug and go solution (read MOST). It does have the heated seats option. Do youself a favor and check all tire dates too. Without paperwork or other verification. The IMS was never touched. There is a history of these cars having leaky RMS problems. A lot of them were fixed under CPO or normal warranty. When this happened, they would also change the cover/flange for the IMS bearing. I have heard dealers 'say' the IMS was done. When they really only replaced the outer cover.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Vin Decoder says it is a C4S.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 PM
mlee2122
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is just for your information as a comparison.

I purchased my 2002 C4S just last month with 76K miles, full documentation of IMS replacement with LN and new clutch at 64K, new transmission housing, serviced front differential, new plugs and coils, new motor and trans mounts, lightweight flywheel, new coolant tank, new water pump, EVO cold air intake, milltek headers, PSE, H&R coilovers, GT3 front and rear swaybars, 19" 3 piece forged wheels, new toyo tires, GT2 rear wing, porsche logo aluminum pedals, alcantara accents and headliner, alcantara and leather steering wheel, bose sound system, hidden radar system (pretty worthless since it over 14yrs old), porsche crested sport seats, aluminum 4S sills and few other minor odds and ends.....in the last 2-3 years over $10K in routine service and repairs and over $14K in existing and recent upgrades....... all for $25K.

It did have few needed repairs... noisy starter, seller didn't replace cause it still started just fine and dealer was wanting over $1K to replace. Early signs of AOS failure but no CEL and since it hadn't been replaced i was figuring it needed the work. "rear spoiler deployment failure warning light" due to recent GT2 wing install. Rear brakes needed servicing. Sloppy and loose shifter. Left turn signal very irratic and handfull of burnt out bulbs. Anyway used this as part of the negociation to talk seller down to the $25K. I ended up doing all the work myself, cost me $300 in parts and spent a good full Saturday taking my time doing the AOS, Starter, rear brake job and doing some research on correcting the spoiler wiring to clear the warning light. Replaced burnt out bulbs and new turn signal solenoid took care of lighting issues. Besides the repairs gave me extra time to bond with the Porsche.

It did take me over 3 months to finally find the right color and price point i was wanting to spend...... my budget was $25K.

Good luck on your hunt for your Porsche!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 AM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Motor mounts may be in order, but that's an easy DIY. Left rear tip looks a tad low. Otherwise, the c4s is the best looking 996 IMHO. PPI and paperwork on IMSB if you want to avoid buyers remorse, and possible nightmares.

I do think you can find a better deal, but local in person accounts for a lot.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mlee2122
This is just for your information as a comparison.

I purchased my 2002 C4S just last month with 76K miles, full documentation of IMS replacement with LN and new clutch at 64K, new transmission housing, serviced front differential, new plugs and coils, new motor and trans mounts, lightweight flywheel, new coolant tank, new water pump, EVO cold air intake, milltek headers, PSE, H&R coilovers, GT3 front and rear swaybars, 19" 3 piece forged wheels, new toyo tires, GT2 rear wing, porsche logo aluminum pedals, alcantara accents and headliner, alcantara and leather steering wheel, bose sound system, hidden radar system (pretty worthless since it over 14yrs old), porsche crested sport seats, aluminum 4S sills and few other minor odds and ends.....in the last 2-3 years over $10K in routine service and repairs and over $14K in existing and recent upgrades....... all for $25K.

It did have few needed repairs... noisy starter, seller didn't replace cause it still started just fine and dealer was wanting over $1K to replace. Early signs of AOS failure but no CEL and since it hadn't been replaced i was figuring it needed the work. "rear spoiler deployment failure warning light" due to recent GT2 wing install. Rear brakes needed servicing. Sloppy and loose shifter. Left turn signal very irratic and handfull of burnt out bulbs. Anyway used this as part of the negociation to talk seller down to the $25K. I ended up doing all the work myself, cost me $300 in parts and spent a good full Saturday taking my time doing the AOS, Starter, rear brake job and doing some research on correcting the spoiler wiring to clear the warning light. Replaced burnt out bulbs and new turn signal solenoid took care of lighting issues. Besides the repairs gave me extra time to bond with the Porsche.

It did take me over 3 months to finally find the right color and price point i was wanting to spend...... my budget was $25K.

Good luck on your hunt for your Porsche!
Just goes to show great deals can be had if you know what to look for and are a competent DIY mechanic (which I am not). Nice work!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:38 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by eddy_911
Thanks so much for your help.

Contact Monmouth's GM, Gary. He will tell you everything you need to know about the car. He was eying it for himself, so that should say something about it.

(He sent me a long note about it after I inquired and I am waiting for him to let me know I can share the note or its contents. Sounds like a good buy to me.)

Let me know if I can be helpful in anyway.

Good luck...and enjoy your new ride!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Just got word car was sold, so I hope it went to Eddy_911.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM
eddy_911
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your help. The one at Monmouth didn't go to me.

I found a similar car, 1 owner car, in another state.

i would have to buy it sight unseen and it's a little bit nerve wrecking. The ppi was done by autometrics in South Carolina and they seem to have a good reputation here.

I hope the car drives good when i finally get it.

Wish me luck and thanks all for the help.

Last edited by eddy_911; 04-24-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Happy Easter All_Opinion Requested from C4S owners especially