996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

new rotors - scraping noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

^ Wow, bolt not tightened and bolt not replaced! Hope the second shop replaced that bolt...way too corroded.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:10 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
^ Wow, bolt not tightened and bolt not replaced! Hope the second shop replaced that bolt...way too corroded.
There's a possibility here that the threads in the bearing carrier are stripped and no amount of replacing or tightening is going to fix it! It could be Time-Sert time...

Hopefully just an ignorant tech that forgot to put a bold back in!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

With brakes, when there is a weird noise after replacing something, it's probably put together wrong in some way. Pads in backwards, bolts loose, dust shield bent, etc. The solution is almost always to put the car in the air and take it apart until you say "aha" because rarely with brakes is the solution something esoteric. It's because the pads are in backwards or something got bent and is rubbing or whatever.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I truly hope not. Btw, the pad wear sensor wire was not properly tucked in either in that photo.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:19 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by DTMiller
With brakes, when there is a weird noise after replacing something, it's probably put together wrong in some way. Pads in backwards, bolts loose, dust shield bent, etc. The solution is almost always to put the car in the air and take it apart until you say "aha" because rarely with brakes is the solution something esoteric. It's because the pads are in backwards or something got bent and is rubbing or whatever.
Man, I can't believe how frequently people are mentioning putting the pads in backwards. Is this a thing? Are people putting their pants on backwards too??
Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dkraige
Man, I can't believe how frequently people are mentioning putting the pads in backwards. Is this a thing? Are people putting their pants on backwards too??
It happens. They fit that way on most brake systems and if you aren't careful....
Old 04-19-2017, 05:24 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I had the same problem, reputable shop highly recommended by everyone. I waited hours for them to do a simple brake pad change. I rarely drive the car but when I did I would hear scraping under light braking but not all the time.

I noticed the rotor wear and brought it to another shop. Happens to be that the caliper bolt was not tightened. I am not sure why the other shop took them apart but that explains why it took so long that day.

That bolt looks like it was out for some time...
Old 04-19-2017, 05:30 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

It's been some time since it was fixed with no issues. The shop was also responsible for countless other issues. Improper windshield install which resulted in clicking sound and eventual cracked from being too tight. Suggestion and installing a heavy duty tie rod witch broke the coilover mount and required replacing all the coilovers as well as stripping the locking nut tool and cracking it, then put it back in the toolkit without even letting me know. Alignment issue, then a 2nd alignment which resulted in burning out one of the rear tires which was blamed on worn out parts that had play yet they didn't realize it had play during the alignment the first and 2nd time. 3rd alignment with my own custom settings suggested from the forum fixed it finally.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:35 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
That bolt looks like it was out for some time...
It was. I don't drive the car much. I had probably only put on 2k km and was due for an oil change due to sitting for well over a year.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:47 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by jumper5836
It's been some time since it was fixed with no issues. The shop was also responsible for countless other issues. Improper windshield install which resulted in clicking sound and eventual cracked from being too tight. Suggestion and installing a heavy duty tie rod witch broke the coilover mount and required replacing all the coilovers as well as stripping the locking nut tool and cracking it, then put it back in the toolkit without even letting me know. Alignment issue, then a 2nd alignment which resulted in burning out one of the rear tires which was blamed on worn out parts that had play yet they didn't realize it had play during the alignment the first and 2nd time. 3rd alignment with my own custom settings suggested from the forum fixed it finally.
Sounds like a pretty sweet shop. Can I get their contact info??
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Or you do it at night in the dark like I did and put on pad in backwords
didn't notice it until the next day driving when I heard a grinding sound

Its easier to do than you think, especially with pads that are black
Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Looking at my own caliper pics, I don't think it's possible to put the pads in facing the wrong direction without messing up the brake pad sensor wire routing. The reason is there's a slot on the caliper and a tab on the spring to hold the wire in place.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:11 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Looking at my own caliper pics, I don't think it's possible to put the pads in facing the wrong direction without messing up the brake pad sensor wire routing. The reason is there's a slot on the caliper and a tab on the spring to hold the wire in place.
TrackdayBros usually ziptie that sensor out of the way and don't use it.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I figured Seems to be the most likely way to screw up the direction of the pads.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:18 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup

We don't need no stinkin sensors

Change the pads far too often LOL

Quick Reply: new rotors - scraping noise