Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket convertible hydraulic cylinder rec?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Robbies911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Aftermarket convertible hydraulic cylinder rec?

Hi...I need to replace both of the convertible hydraulic cylinders/rams in my 2002 911 Carrera. These are expensive parts, so I wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation for a good quality aftermarket replacement? I'm seeing both Suncoast and TopHydraulics have options online, but I'm not finding any reviews of either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much-
Robert
Old 04-14-2017, 11:51 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

I replaced mine with TopHydraulics about 1.5 yrs ago. work fine - no issues and I drop the top almost daily in the Texas heat.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you sure they are both bad? Explain why you are sure you need them. There are several reason why a top is not working correctly. A replacement battery could be one of the many reasons.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Robbies911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cylinders are both leaking: 2 years of re-topping the hydraulic fluid, puddles of hydraulic fluid in front of the rear wheels, and the local Porsche shop additionally verified they were both leaking. The question here is not whether they're bad.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry I can't help Rob. Both mine are still ok.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:29 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

My top stopped working properly - can't recall exactly, but I think the top stopped going up, requiring me having to help it along. I went to dealership who looked into it and found one of the cylinders had failed. They advised doing both to prevent an imbalance in the mechanical operation - one would be new, the other old and destined to fail.

After reading up on rennlist.com, the TopHydraulics seemed the best option. I contacted them and discussed. They have ~$500 deposit on the cores to ensure they get the old ones back to recondition for someone else.

Once I had the work done and sent the cores back, they were quick to pay me - no questions at all. In addition, the cylinders are guaranteed for the life of the car. Saved me a substantial amount compared to new ones from the dealership, even with my PCA discount on those...
The following users liked this post:
michael (10-08-2022)
Old 04-16-2017, 04:17 PM
GM996
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend Top Hydraulics also. I replaced both mine (only one was leaking) and Klaus was very helpful with answering questions throughout the process and accommodating me when I pinched one of the lines reinstalling them.

-Greg
Old 04-16-2017, 04:26 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Or you could pull them and bring them to a place that repairs cylinders. It's literally $10 in parts to replace... maybe an hour of labor if they come apart easy. (most do)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:30 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I also did mine with Top hydraulics.......2 years going and no issues.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

My mechanic noted that both my rams are leaking, so based on this thread, I'm going with TopHydraulics service as well. Can't really go wrong, since the rebuilds uses better components than new, with a warranty for 3 years. So regardless of the cost, the rebuild seems like a better option than just buying new, especially given the cost difference and the fact I don't have to wait for the rebuild to complete, as they ship rebuilt rams out immediately and wait for my core exchange.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:44 PM
carlvs
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

I also had leaking cab cylinders on my 99 996. They had bin "rebuilt" by the PO but it was just a DIY seal replacement and the rebuild did not last long. I contacted Cabriolet Hydarulics https://cabriolethydraulics.com/diy-...-instructions/ and have been extremely happy with the service they provided. I sent them my cylinder and the turn around time was less than a week./

Total cost $535.00. They also replaced the o-rings on the hoses and included fluid to fill the pump with.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlvs
I also had leaking cab cylinders on my 99 996. They had bin "rebuilt" by the PO but it was just a DIY seal replacement and the rebuild did not last long. I contacted Cabriolet Hydarulics https://cabriolethydraulics.com/diy-...-instructions/ and have been extremely happy with the service they provided. I sent them my cylinder and the turn around time was less than a week./

Total cost $535.00. They also replaced the o-rings on the hoses and included fluid to fill the pump with.
Right, I figured a DIY job might not address the original design of the seals, so having the upgraded seals is something I can see being a good upgrade, worth the money.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlvs

How difficult is it to remove and reinstall the rebuilt cylinders? I’m considering doing this myself so save some money.
babylonboots (01-10-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 11:15 PM
carlvs
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Instructions

Mike,

Just click on the link in the post above and print it out. Takes less than an hour to remove both cylinders/pistons.
Mike Murphy (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 11:15 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

I now have a 997 cab but the mechanism is the same and replacement very similar. I went with the Cabriolet Hydraulics (CH) for two rebuilt cylinders this time (2019). Took me about an hour to remove the cylinders and about a week to get the replacement cylinders. Pick a time when you can let your car sit for a week.
It took a couple of hours to replace as I was going back and forth to the instructions from CH and a youtube video from another company (showing other aspects of the procedure) and also, had to refill the fluid a couple of times which was a little out of reach on mine.

Things to be aware of:
  • Label all of the wires and connections to make sure you put everything back (there's probably 4-5 electrical connections).
  • When you remove the cylinders, note where the drain hoses lie - you have to put these back in the same position
  • On the drivers side, be aware of the potentiometer and be careful when replacing the cylinder. The inside bolt fits into the potentiometer, which slides to control the raised and lowered positions. The potentiometer is made of cheap aged plastic and can break.
  • Tightening the inner bolts of the cylinder is tricky and may tear up your hands a bit. Lot's of sharp edges in there
    • It may be worth looking at removing the rear speakers to allow easier access to the inside bolts. I did this after the fact and it looked like you can save some skin and ensure the potentiometer is properly set on the bolt.

For attaching the lines to the pump, it's good to have an additional set of hands. Be sure to put a bunch of rags down to absorb any fluid leakage.

Good luck with your install. I figured doing it myself saved me over $2000 in labor costs and parts (by going the CH route).

Overall, I know I could do it faster the second time around, which I hope won't be for another 10 years or so. On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being most difficult, I'd rate it as a 5.

Last edited by babylonboots; 01-10-2020 at 02:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by babylonboots:
MEK (05-26-2020), Mike Murphy (01-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket convertible hydraulic cylinder rec?