996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Zero Cam Deviation

Old 04-15-2017, 08:44 PM
swede man
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
good point.If this is a clone we are wasting our time.
The only remaining action is to check the continuity to/from & resistance of the Cam Position Sensor .
After that we're back to Post 6
My Durametric cable (pro-version) is genuine and purchased direct from Durametric, I'm using version 6.5.0.6 but have just noticed that a newer version came out 2 weeks ago with "improved-functions" for 996 models. My plan is to check if this newer version will do the trick and I will also pull out the cam sensor to inspect and check the wiring. Will report back my findings.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Logically you should have P0340 if it is defective.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:23 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,314 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The cam sensor is working otherwise you would have symptoms of hard to start/ long crank times and fault codes. The DME is seeing cam position and is able to control it. The DME is not sending the data to the tester. This is likely a program malfunction. The DME can be reprogramed using PST2, PIWIS or PIWIS II, but before doing a reprogram, try to reboot/reset the DME by disconnecting the battery.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:55 AM
swede man
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
The cam sensor is working otherwise you would have symptoms of hard to start/ long crank times and fault codes. The DME is seeing cam position and is able to control it. The DME is not sending the data to the tester. This is likely a program malfunction. The DME can be reprogramed using PST2, PIWIS or PIWIS II, but before doing a reprogram, try to reboot/reset the DME by disconnecting the battery.
Ok thanks Porschetech3, if that's the case I won't be bothered by it anymore although it would have been nice to know what the cam deviation would have been. I don't have acces to PST2 or PIWIS II but I will try to reset the DME and see what happens. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead... I have a 3/98 996 that I decided to check the cam deviation on. Last year when I got the car I dropped the oil pan and cleaned out a bunch of small plastic pieces (chain pads), but the oil filter and everything else was clean.

Currently 188,666 (I know..bad omen) and running some errands, I had a failure to start. I figured it would be the crank position sensor. I took a walk to a store looking for a jump pack since I had drawn the battery down cranking it, and I was hopeful to not be getting it towed to the house. Came back empty handed on the jump box, but when I got back to the car maybe 30 minutes later, it started. I drove home right away.

Got out the Durametric and no codes stored..just some o2 sensor codes telling me they are getting old and the dme doesn't like me not having cats.

Checking the cam deviation specs, I'm wondering if my early 98 996 may have ROW specs. I have 6.0* steady on bank 1, and 0* on bank 2.
This car had a LN Engineering IMS fix at 148k in 2014, well before I owned it. It was done by a respectable indy in TX and I have had zero issues with the car since feb 2018 when I bought it. I have put almost 18k on it since then.

thoughts?
Old 05-10-2019, 08:58 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my crank sensor went, I shut the car off for about 30 minutes and it would not restart. No movement on the tach when cranking. I had it towed back to the shop and by the time it got there it fired up like nothing happened. There were no codes stored. Replaced the sensor the next day and haven't had an issue since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zero Cam Deviation