Sponsored by:

My '03 996 C2 with 997/991 style headlight covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:39 PM
996inTX
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewK996

Also, after getting a lot of requests, I am excited to say that I am going to start working on a version for the MK1 cars. Say hello to my new project car below, a black 1999 cabriolet.
Awesome! Hope it doesn't take you two years, though.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:57 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Here are some additional pictures of the covers on different color cars in case people were interested. As always, I am interested in hearing feedback on how I can make these better. I have a few sets left, price is $390 shipping included, email me at moderncla6@gmail.com with any questions.

Also, after getting a lot of requests, I am excited to say that I am going to start working on a version for the MK1 cars. Say hello to my new project car below, a black 1999 cabriolet.

Any progress on mk II with Headlight washers?
Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 AM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I decided not to do a version for headlight washers because we have installed the covers on a few cars with headlight washers and it came out fine. Basically you have to pop off the headlight washer chrome caps, deactivate the washers by pulling a fuse, and then cover the hole with some clear tape. Then you can put the covers on top (see the grey 996 turbo pic above). That said, if there are a lot of people requesting a version for headlights with the washers, I will reconsider.

It definitely won't take me 2 years to do the MK1 version haha. I'm going to try to get the prototype done this December. Hopefully will have something ready to go by early spring.

On a side note, I'm dropping price of the MK2 covers to $350 (including shipping) if anyone wants a set. I'm trying to get rid of remaing sets I have to fund development of the MK1 version.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided not to do a version for headlight washers because we have installed the covers on a few cars with headlight washers and it came out fine. Basically you have to pop off the headlight washer chrome caps, deactivate the washers by pulling a fuse, and then cover the hole with some clear tape. Then you can put the covers on top (see the grey 996 turbo pic above). That said, if there are a lot of people requesting a version for headlights with the washers, I will reconsider.

It definitely won't take me 2 years to do the MK1 version haha. I'm going to try to get the prototype done this December. Hopefully will have something ready to go by early spring.

On a side note, I'm dropping price of the MK2 covers to $350 (including shipping) if anyone wants a set. I'm trying to get rid of remaing sets I have to fund development of the MK1 version.
Great news on your version of the covers. Will they come painted?
I have seen in some previous threads about alternatives in directional lighting for the front. Maybe other can jump in with their suggestions.
Thanks
Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Yes, I'll offer painting on them, same as I do currently for the Mk2 covers. Regarding turn signals on the MK1 version, I may find a way to keep them exposed while still looking good. But, I am interested to hear if people have a preference of whether to cover over the turn signal entirely. It would look better but would require you to relocate the turn signals to the lower grill opening.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:59 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

***$350 Holiday Sale Price (shipping included)*** In order to raise funds to develop MK1 headlight covers I am lowering the price to $350 to sell through the remaining sets I currently have from my last production run.

Email me at moderncla6@gmail.com if interested

Last edited by AndrewK996; 12-12-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:18 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe it was asked before but could someone wire up some LED lights to the same fog light switch the factory uses?
Old 12-18-2017, 01:01 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I think what you have done here is super innovative and while I am a purist with my 996 MK1, in fact I am heavily modding it suspension and engine wise so that it is a wolf in sheeps clothing. However, I would consider it on my 2001 boxster as someone earlier states. I think it would open a huge market there, especially since many of them have that amber lower piece which a large percentage of owners are replacing with clears. In that case its not even a shape thing. THis provides a great alternative to that for both Mk1 and boxster owners.

Now as far as how to deal with turn signals. This is a tough one. I think your thinking on just covering them up is the right one. However, this means its a much bigger job for someone to rewire the signals to somewhere else which would shrink your market. So I think you should do a poll on preferences (and even put a link to the poll here for the 986Forum guys) on the following options:
1) Cover signals up
2) Create a round opening for signals
3) Have a perforated area for the signals, enough holes to get the light through but the material between holes would have body color and hide things better.
4) Make the part out of clear plastic and then have everyone paint however they feel fit since the part needs to be painted anyway. People who will cover signals just paint that area. People who want to do different treatments to that area can.,

My two cents.

Eitherway, I am a fan.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Slopeslider
I hadn't considered headlight covers until I saw Andrew's design. My wife purchased a set as an early Father's Day gift. I have to say that purchasing these from Andrew was a true pleasure. His communication was fantastic! Emailing with updates every step of the way keeping me informed of the progress. He sent pictures once the painting was completed and followed up with a tracking number once they were shipped. The fit and finish was excellent. I'm really happy with how they turned out. If you're on the fence I would say go for it.

I found that 100% silicone worked the best for attaching them. I tried 3M tape originally and didn't like the extra height it added. I would also recommend removing the lights for installation and sliding the cover as far forward as possible.

The covers don't obstruct the blinkers / hazards lights at all. See video.
https://youtu.be/NHx0yEqMB6k
Can you share on what kind and brand silicone tape you used?
I was looking at the 3m moulding tape and they are pretty thick and for sure will leave unwanted gap. Yours look nice and flush.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by laphan
Can you share on what kind and brand silicone tape you used?
I was looking at the 3m moulding tape and they are pretty thick and for sure will leave unwanted gap. Yours look nice and flush.
The tape leaves too much of a gap. It was 100% silicone in a tube. https://m.acehardware.com/product/in...ctId=104615676
Old 12-18-2017, 10:01 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Slopeslider

The tape leaves too much of a gap. It was 100% silicone in a tube. https://m.acehardware.com/product/in...ctId=104615676
Did you put clear plastic like xpel or laminX before you stick it with silicone?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:03 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Originally Posted by lowpue
I think what you have done here is super innovative and while I am a purist with my 996 MK1, in fact I am heavily modding it suspension and engine wise so that it is a wolf in sheeps clothing. However, I would consider it on my 2001 boxster as someone earlier states. I think it would open a huge market there, especially since many of them have that amber lower piece which a large percentage of owners are replacing with clears. In that case its not even a shape thing. THis provides a great alternative to that for both Mk1 and boxster owners.

Now as far as how to deal with turn signals. This is a tough one. I think your thinking on just covering them up is the right one. However, this means its a much bigger job for someone to rewire the signals to somewhere else which would shrink your market. So I think you should do a poll on preferences (and even put a link to the poll here for the 986Forum guys) on the following options:
1) Cover signals up
2) Create a round opening for signals
3) Have a perforated area for the signals, enough holes to get the light through but the material between holes would have body color and hide things better.
4) Make the part out of clear plastic and then have everyone paint however they feel fit since the part needs to be painted anyway. People who will cover signals just paint that area. People who want to do different treatments to that area can.,

My two cents.

Eitherway, I am a fan.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely put a poll up once I get the prototypes done for the MK1 covers! I recruited a friend of mine who went to ArtCenter to study car design and he is helping me with the clay modeling of the prototypes.

FYI, for folks who would like the MK2 covers painted, I have a shop I use that will do them for $150 which I am happy to coordinate. Email me at moderncla6@gmail.com if interested.
The following users liked this post:
hollywoodikr (02-12-2020)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:26 AM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by laphan
Did you put clear plastic like xpel or laminX before you stick it with silicone?
No. I went straight on to the existing light surface.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

I applaud your efforts and results Andrew. I checked the date and mine have been on 15 years now. showing no cracks or deterioration.

re MKI version,

to refresh memory, (I posted this on the 3rd page of this thread I think) here are mine on a 2000 C4. I don't think I have ever knowingly activated the headlight washers in 18 years of owning the car. So in hindsight, I would have deactivated them and covered over the holes. the indicators and fogs I would still have the cut outs for, since they are integrated into the headlight unit. I do use my fogs, and indicators are a legal requirement, as you know. So to cover indicators requires installing a solution somewhere else

Old 12-21-2017, 10:02 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I went through the pages but couldnt see if anyone answered the question. If someone wants to keep using the fog lights, how hard would it be to wire up some LED in the bumper grills to activate once you turn on the factory fog lights? A clean install would really modernize the look on the 996 front end

Quick Reply: My '03 996 C2 with 997/991 style headlight covers