996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My '03 996 C2 with 997/991 style headlight covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:26 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks a lot for the nice comments guys. I definitely respect the viewpoint of people who love the original headlight design and don't want to mess with it. The funny thing is, in the two years I was making the headlight covers, I really grew to appreciate the uniqueness of the 996's headlights and I kind of miss them haha. The good thing is that the covers are fully reversible so that I can go back to the original look anytime.

To answer the other questions, yes, you would have to remove the chrome cap to install these as is. I would just want to do a test fitting first to make sure that it covers up the entire hole. If there is enough interest, I may consider doing a small run to make a version with a hole which allows them to be fit over the headlight washers without having to take off the chrome caps. It depends on if I can recoup my cost for the first version.

On a side note, I now get why the majority of aftermarket parts are fiberglass, it takes a lot of investment to make molds/tooling for automated production of polyurethane/ABS parts. For Porsche, they can offset this by selling a ton. It's okay in my case since this is a side hobby, but for a small aftermarket shop, I imagine it would be tough to make a profit.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:34 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnat
Yet another "I don't like to see the lights covered, but that is an excellent execution" response here.

Seriously. Kudos on that. It does look really good.

How do you think these will hold up over time? The other options don't seem to weather/age well if they are exposed to the elements regularly (e.g. they fade differently, come unstuck, get brittle, etc..).

That's a good question. We tested a number of different materials and tried to select one that would be flexible, yet not warp in heat, and not get brittle in the cold. It's pretty much a similar material used for bumpers. That said, the only way to know for sure is to see how they hold up over time and if they start to deform.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
I also agree they're some of the best masks I've seen, but I'm not one to cover up the factory look. I know the purists went in a tail spin when Pinky Lai designed the original "fried egg" head lights for the 996, but personally, I've always like them because they were radical and different. Especially the Turbo style which is what you have.

But if you like them, then go for it... who are we to stand in your way.

They look really good.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:38 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I think that's about as good as headlight covers can possibly look. Would love to see some pics from the side and from the driver's seat. The bevel around the edge is a very, very nice touch.

I'm in the same boat as others from a personal preference standpoint - I like the 996 headlights. They're distinct and unique. To be honest, my least favorite thing about the latest 911s are the headlights - they just look plain when I see them.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

These do look very nice, but what about the loss of the fog lights? I would imagine they need to be disabled as the heat from the bulbs would do the plastic no favors. In any event, always nice to see someone who perseveres with their vision.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:54 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
The bevel around the edge is a very, very nice touch.
I think that is what makes these work.

Sorry to those who like them, but the other covers just look like something cheap that was slapped on the car. They look like other than the shape there was no real design effort put into them.

This one looks like it shows the effort that the OP has put into it.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:24 PM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what these could sell for? I know you are waiting on info from a manufacturer but a ballpark number would be great.
Thanks and nice job
Old 04-11-2017, 02:29 PM
racesx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice work and look/design! Could this design/process be altered for mkI lights also? Would you be willing to produce a batch for mkI lights in the future if enough interest?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:01 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

but seriously, when can I get them, and do you accept bearer bonds?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:26 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

I will have to take more pictures from the side as I don't have any good ones but here is one for now.

For the foglights, yes would need to keep them off. On my 911 you have to manually activate them so it shouldn't be a problem. Even if you mistakenly turned them on, I think it should be okay since the covers have been holding up fine in the baking california sun.

As for pricing/costs, I hope to nail that down in the next few days and then start selling the first pieces next week or the following (depending on how quickly the manufacturer can get it done). Thanks guys for all the feedback. Btw, if you have instagram, you can follow me at "moderncla6". I posted a few more pics there.

Regarding the MKI lights, I actually thought about it as well because I really want a boxster at some point haha. I think a similar approach could be used but the way the lights are set up it's a bit trickier. What I really want to do is create a replacement lens in the right shape with the right grooves/bevels already built into to the lens so it's not a cover sitting on top of the lens. That would be trickier to install however since you would have to pull apart your light (not to mention more expensive to produce). Any preference on cover vs new lens? Regardless, I'll have to see if it's even possible to recoup my costs on this version before doing a whole new project but it sounds like a fun project.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

These look great nice job!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Oregoncoaststi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the execution of these , good job, you would just take the bulb out of the fog lights
Old 04-11-2017, 08:58 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Outstanding design

Can you establish a manufacturing process that your current design could be modified with a one step secondary process to facilitate the washer covers?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Very nice! Interested in what you need to charge to recoup your costs.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:36 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewK996
The good thing is that the covers are fully reversible so that I can go back to the original look anytime.

Andrew,

That is huge! Most of the masks that I've seen have been painted or glued on with no hope to safely remove them without damaging the light enclosures. If your prototype can be relatively easy to remove and the lights returned to the factory look, then you may just very well have the BEST 996 headlight masks on the market.

Quick Reply: My '03 996 C2 with 997/991 style headlight covers