Sponsored by:

Replacing my lost ECU/DME, need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:25 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacing my lost ECU/DME, need help

Well, on my 9th official day of 911 ownership, I already have a medium-sized disaster.

I sent my ECU to we well-known tuner via USPS. Long story short, USPS says they delivered to the correct address, tuner has no idea where the ECU is, never took delivery. I am of course still working with the vender and the USPS on this, but it's now been 5 days, and no one knows where my ECU is, so I am planning for the worst. I do not want to go into any further detail on that now, as I am still trying to resolve.

Yes, it was insured, but I am having issues with that end, as USPS says they did their part and delivered the package correctly. I will take care of that as it unfolds. Apparently there was no signature, I assumed there would just be one on an insured priority package.

Anyways, Porsche quoted me $4,975 for a new Bosch DME and the requisite programming to get me back running. I have a high-end shop in my area also putting together a quote.

As I mentioned, I have no idea (and no control over) what the results of the insurance claim will be. We've all heard the stories. My question is, if buy everything matching from the same car, a coupe 4S 6mt, the ECU, Immobilizer, key pill, and switched everything over, wouldn't that work? How would the car know the difference?

I am not trying to reprogram the immobilizer or keys, so why would I need the IPAS codes or previous car's VIN #?

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks a ton. The good news is, for you guys anyways, someone is going to be getting a brand new, unopened IDP Plenum, GT3 throttle body, BMC filter and PC950 lightweight battery for dirt cheap...
Old 04-04-2017, 06:46 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ssssooo you owned a car for 9 days and pulled your ECM........................you are right by 2 quotes .............you have no idea . is this your first car
Old 04-04-2017, 07:23 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please update your avatar.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

wow that situation sucks...

So are you now selling off all the parts you were planning to install, why?

This might help you out, its very cheap:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-9...AAAOSw4CFYyKgT
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by extanker
ssssooo you owned a car for 9 days and pulled your ECM........................you are right by 2 quotes .............you have no idea . is this your first car
Excuse me? This is my 3rd porsche, and yes first 911, which if we're honest isn't much different than my 986s. Approximately the 12th car I've owned including M3s and S4s...

Yeah, I pulled the ecu, because it takes 5 minutes and is necessary to run the IDP plenum and 997 gt3 throttle body correctly.

Why would you bother writing that, unless you felt insecure about your own abilities?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:44 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan_189

That's Australian, different emissions (and steering wheel on wrong side?) won't work without a full jumper reset. Appreciate it though.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:50 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Because it's potentially going to cost me a few thousand to get my car running again, and I'm not sending my ecu back to a shop that may or may not have lost the first one, nor am I spending $1,700 on a custom dyno tune for a NA car. It's fast enough stock, I just thought I'd have some fun and if I could give it a little more pep for just $2k in all parts and tune then it would be worth it.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by orangeman
That's Australian, different emissions (and steering wheel on wrong side?) won't work without a full jumper reset. Appreciate it though.
Correct RoW configuration you couldn't use the steering lock component but you could still possibly salvage the key barrels. Don't know about the emissions, however at that price whatever you need to do to it makes it worthwhile and still have change vs the quotes you got. Anyway best of luck

​​​​​
Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Correct RoW configuration (may not be aus delivered as that salvage yard import most of their cars) you couldn't use the steering lock component but you could still possibly salvage the key barrels. Don't know about the emissions, however at that price whatever you need to do to it makes it worthwhile and still have change vs the quotes you got. Anyway best of luck

​​​​​
Old 04-04-2017, 08:53 PM
dan_189
Race Car

I'd see if you could return the 82mm plenum and get the 74mm standard size one, no tune required.

Also BMC filter is a waste of time IMO no gains to be had from it, hard to clean correctly and the risk of MAF damage from oil. Others may not agree.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:22 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

I'd see if you could return the 82mm plenum and get the 74mm standard size one, no tune required.

Also BMC filter is a waste of time IMO no gains to be had from it, hard to clean correctly and the risk of MAF damage from oil. Others may not agree.
Yeah, I had mixed feeling on that too, but it was recommended to me by two different shops, both of whom were not also trying to sell it to me, and I figured at the very least it might help to make a nice noise
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Yeah, I had mixed feeling on that too, but it was recommended to me by two different shops, both of whom were not also trying to sell it to me, and I figured at the very least it might help to make a nice noise
Is that the 74 or the 82 that they recommended? Guessing they initially recommended the 82 and now just the 74?

All for the Ipd (I have the 74mm one) don't know about the 82mm I'm sure it has its place.

​​​​​I want the 82 but I don't want to use the Ipd rubber hose (opting for the factory look, even though very few eyes would actually see it) but you can't have your cake and eat it too!

I dont think the ipd necessarily adds any sound, removing your helmholtz resonator box yields more intake noise. I haven't heard of anyone using an Ipd plenum for sound only performance.

Also from seeing the Ipd 82mm video they recommend 82mm plenum + gt3 throttle (obviously) + aftermarket/upgraded exhaust + tune. Quite a shopping list!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I don't quite understand why you don't want to just get a used DME (with vin) and have the car towed to Porsche dealership and installed . And yes they will need to get the IPAS codes for both your car and the donor car (hince needing the vin #).
Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 AM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I don't quite understand why you don't want to just get a used DME (with vin) and have the car towed to Porsche dealership and installed . And yes they will need to get the IPAS codes for both your car and the donor car (hince needing the vin #).
Sigh, this is exactly what I am asking for and was hoping to find out. Are you sure this can be done? Porsche dealer didn't seem to want to go the ebay DME route. I have AAA, so towing the car won't even cost me anything. Can I buy any 996 or 986 DME? Does it have to be a 3.6? Does it have to be USA? They are not the same part number, but someone I trust told me it actually doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Replacing my lost ECU/DME, need help