Sponsored by:

Replacing my lost ECU/DME, need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:32 AM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Is that the 74 or the 82 that they recommended? Guessing they initially recommended the 82 and now just the 74?

All for the Ipd (I have the 74mm one) don't know about the 82mm I'm sure it has its place.

​​​​​I want the 82 but I don't want to use the Ipd rubber hose (opting for the factory look, even though very few eyes would actually see it) but you can't have your cake and eat it too!

I dont think the ipd necessarily adds any sound, removing your helmholtz resonator box yields more intake noise. I haven't heard of anyone using an Ipd plenum for sound only performance.

Also from seeing the Ipd 82mm video they recommend 82mm plenum + gt3 throttle (obviously) + aftermarket/upgraded exhaust + tune. Quite a shopping list!
I was referencing the BMC filter in terms of sound.

My car has a fabspeed exhaust on it, I was excited to try out the larger throttle body and get rid of the airbox muffler. But we shall see. If it only costs me $400 for an ebay DME and $540 for porsche to program it (plus tax!) I will probably keep all the stuff and try again with a different tuner.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:37 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeman
I was referencing the BMC filter in terms of sound.

My car has a fabspeed exhaust on it, I was excited to try out the larger throttle body and get rid of the airbox muffler. But we shall see. If it only costs me $400 for an ebay DME and $540 for porsche to program it (plus tax!) I will probably keep all the stuff and try again with a different tuner.
I didn't like the sound of the BMC filter I had, I ditched it.

Jake one of the most reputable M96 builders actually noted not to use the 82mm unless you step up to a 3.8L engine (not sure if that comment meant to stay away unless you tune though).

If you're referring to the AUS ebay one the dollar is in your favour so it will cost you even less. Let me know if the seller wont post internationally I can help you out if required (tracked and insured of course) too soon? Mi scussi!

Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 AM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

I didn't like the sound of the BMC filter I had, I ditched it.

Jake one of the most reputable M96 builders actually noted not to use the 82mm unless you step up to a 3.8L engine (not sure if that comment meant to stay away unless you tune though).

If you're referring to the AUS ebay one the dollar is in your favour so it will cost you even less. Let me know if the seller wont post internationally I can help you out if required (tracked and insured of course) too soon? Mi scussi!

Nah must be without a tune, all the 3.4 cayman/box guys use the 82mm. Sam at EVO told me you just need the right file to get the 82mm to play nicely.

haha! Appreciate the offer...... but I don't know how'd I'd mount the DME upside down
Old 04-05-2017, 12:56 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Fair enough, might have meant don't do it without a tune. Hopefully if he comes across this thread he can confirm although he hasn't been active/posting from what I have seen. Might be preparing for his M96 classes. Maybe someone can ask and report back!

From my reading going 82mm ins't as popular as using the 74mm plenum which is what most seem to be using (like me).

RE installation of an AUS DME just install it under your headliner, will be all good mate! haha
Old 04-05-2017, 01:56 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,796 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Sigh, this is exactly what I am asking for and was hoping to find out. Are you sure this can be done? Porsche dealer didn't seem to want to go the ebay DME route. I have AAA, so towing the car won't even cost me anything. Can I buy any 996 or 986 DME? Does it have to be a 3.6? Does it have to be USA? They are not the same part number, but someone I trust told me it actually doesn't matter.
I am retired from Porsche dealership .. yes I can be done. Do they really want to do it?no.Can you make them do it? no. They do not like to use used parts or E-bay parts . Why? Because sellers of used car parts and e-bay sellers do not stand behind their parts, sure if its bad they will give you another one, but if you end up with some strange code or weird problem, can you get any support ? NADA.Porsche would not only supply another part, but would pay for labor and reasonable diagnostic time, if they are involved any tech info or support.
Having a good relationship with your local dealership can be very helpfull in cases like this, could save you a ton of money.

Yes It has to be a USA part, yes it has to be for a 996 and not a 986. and yes it has to be for a 3.6 N/A.

If I were you I would visit the dealership, ask to speak with a tech about a technical issue on your non-running Porsche before you have it towed in. Talk with the tech and be certain he says he can do it and is comfortable doing it. Because they can be bricked by putting the codes in wrong, and with it being used parts you will have to take full responsibility for anything that goes wrong.If you plead nicely and take full responsibility, they will probably help you. I would not elaborate on USPS and the other shop losing your DME, the less they know about that the more likely they will help you. Just say the DME got lost when you sent it for a tune..no more than that, because they definitely don't want to be involved in any squabble !! Good Luck !
Old 04-05-2017, 09:07 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Used DME,s are all over the place for less than a thousand, You have to have it coded by the dealer to match your security module but that should also be less than a grand. You can also send it to ECU doctors in Florida and they can match it.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:55 AM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgmark
You can also send it to ECU doctors in Florida and they can match it.
Wow, thank you, just spoke with them, they were great.

I actually do have a very good relationship with the guys at Burdick Porsche here in Syracuse. They have been very nice and provided excellent service to me, even though I have just been a 986 and now 996 guy.

So right now my options are:

1. Buy correct ECU on ebay, send to ECU doctors with my immobilizer and key pill, they will program and match for $375

2. Buy ECU, ship car down the road to dealership, have programmed at Porsche dealership for $570, if I can convince them to do it. This seems like the best option right now, as it does not involve shipping the ecu again ha ha.

3. Buy all new from Porsche for $4,975

Looks like either way I may be able to get out of this for $1k-1.2k, while I battle USPS for reimbursement.

Appreciate all the help so far.

Last edited by orangeman; 04-05-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Fair enough, might have meant don't do it without a tune. Hopefully if he comes across this thread he can confirm although he hasn't been active/posting from what I have seen. Might be preparing for his M96 classes. Maybe someone can ask and report back!

From my reading going 82mm ins't as popular as using the 74mm plenum which is what most seem to be using (like me).

RE installation of an AUS DME just install it under your headliner, will be all good mate! haha
Dan, I found another one from your wonderful country

http://www.ebay.com/itm/engine-ECU-P...MAAOSwAANY5O3E

But for some reason, it's all written in german.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

wow that sucks, you are screwed either way

and of course right after you do all of this your original one will be found ... at least thats what would happen to me with my luck lol
Old 04-05-2017, 12:32 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tekkie
wow that sucks, you are screwed either way

and of course right after you do all of this your original one will be found ... at least thats what would happen to me with my luck lol
Oh, of course, it'll be right on the guy's desk, under a stack of papers
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM
orangeman
Rennlist Member

Damn, just found the original tune for the car here for $1.99:
http://carprotuning.com/Tuning-Tools...5151.Original-

I wish I knew how to use a hex editor and interface with the DME
Old 04-05-2017, 02:36 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
You can also send it to ECU doctors in Florida and they can match it.
Thanks for your recommendation and yes, we can definitely get the IPASS codes and program the ECU Set for match your car's VIN #.

The only thing that you'll need to get is the "key blade" from the dealership in order to match your car's ignition switch and door locks.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:56 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Austria (ebay seller). Australia (Dan).
Old 04-05-2017, 11:07 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Unfortunately I cant help with that one, nice character use though! Surely with those character skills you can get the ECU HEX done!!

Originally Posted by Mark I
Austria (ebay seller). Australia (Dan).
Yup correct!! gold star for you sir!

I'd like to dabble with reprogramming ECUs, I briefly looked into instrument cluster programming looked fascinating. So does building your own PWIST2 from Bosch parts!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

The only thing I can add is by sending it to ECU doctors you eliminate the stink eye the dealer will give you. They are by far the best I have found for repair and modifications to ECU's and other electronic modules for Porsches. Also they will test your used DME so you know its good, they canalso flash their performance tune to the ECU.

Quick Reply: Replacing my lost ECU/DME, need help