996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

CEL came back...Finally got around to getting a Durametric

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 04:25 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pelican Parts sells the IWIS chains with master link. That's where I got mine.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:30 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
Update: I'm just about ready to start taking stuff apart, as I've got the car on jack stands and I've got about 25.25 " from floor to bottom of engine (oil sump plate)... Is this enough? I think I've read 24" but I don't know where those measurements were taken to/from. A few more:
1) Better/Easier to remove Engine/Tranny as one unit? Or separate first? I'm thinking drop first then separate, but I'm open to suggestions...
2) Any recommendations on the chains themselves? I don't need anything super high performance, but if there is an updated/upgraded part within a reasonable cost range I would go with that.
3) ^Same^ for the chain-tensioner pads.
It's easier to remove the engine/trans block as a unit. (unless just doing a trans/clutch).

Your don't have much choice on the parts.. the long chain comes in a endless link that requires to split the case to install, and a master link type that can be installed without removing the heads. The pads are just replacement OEM.. no upgrades available that I know of.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Looks like several of us were answering the same questions at the same time...lol I could have saved mine instead of being redundant..No one had answered Dporto when I started my post but got interrupted before I finished then I posted last..

Lots of friendly helpful people here !!!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I could not find it on Pelican:http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ENGCAM_pg1.htm
If you are looking for the Raby developed Master-Link Chain ,suggest you try RND Euro Parts. Part # is 996 105 177 53 , only $52. Here:
http://store.rndeuroparts.com/catalo...a/Catalog.aspx
Free shipping+no tx for most.
Their street address has a reassuring ring to it:
57 Raby Drive
Cleveland, GA 30528
Coincidence ?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:23 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

RnD...Jake's mantra - no surprise there. I looked on the LNE website and didn't see the cam chains. I'll check RND. And Thanks! for all the responses.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:29 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

this a 5 chain? maybe that's why...I was looking at 02 Carreras on the pelican site and there's def chains with master links available.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
I could not find it on Pelican:http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ENGCAM_pg1.htm
If you are looking for the Raby developed Master-Link Chain ,suggest you try RND Euro Parts. Part # is 996 105 177 53 , only $52. Here:
57 Raby Drive
Cleveland, GA 30528
Coincidence ?
Pelican has it..but they only list it in the Boxster section, not the 911 section, I don't know why same part. 996-105-177-53-M1048 $53.75
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
57 Raby Drive
Cleveland, GA 30528
Coincidence ?
Is this for both chains at RND? or are they $52 ea.? Not that $52 is a lot, but it's twice the price of the one at Auto Atlanta...(same part #) Ah... That's the wrong part # I think (that's the chain to the IMS - I wasn't planning on changing that one???)... Proper one here Part # 996 105 170 54 | Timing Chain - Cam to Cam / Single Row http://store.rndeuroparts.com/catalo...a/Catalog.aspx Even less expensive than Autoatlanta...

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=103-10
Old 04-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

If you are replacing only the cam-to-cam chain I don't understand the logic.
You have to remove both cams and then the cam-to-cam chain to replace the pads on the Actuator. So what then would be the point of a Master Link in the cam to cam chain ? AFIK the Master link is only in the IMS to Ex sprocket chain. Hence my link. Chain w/o Master link are easy/cheap to find.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

I never said anything about a master link, so I don't know the logic either...I was never planning on replacing all the chains, i just figured if i was doing the cam chain pads, it might make sense to do the chains too.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Right ,it was AWD who was confusing us :-).
Old 04-12-2017, 09:00 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

lol, I said the same thing as you guys. IWIS chains. Get the one with master link if you can. Not sure why you wouldn't change the chains now that it is open.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Ok, so my understanding is that the cam chains will be accessible by removing the cam covers. To get to the other chains, doesn't it entail removing the heads etc.? I'd much rather that this didn't become a full engine refresh, if I can help it. I'd like to get this done in a month of nights/weekends etc. - six weeks on the outside. While I'll certainly open to address issues as I run into them, I'm not approaching this as a huge project. Removing the heads and/or separating the case halves qualifies as "a huge project" in my book. Had this problem surfaced last fall, I might have taken it on over the winter... Opposing view points/recommendations welcome.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:06 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

to change the IMS chain you will need to remove the heads and split the case. the chains running along camshafts can be replaced without taking the heads off.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
Ok, so my understanding is that the cam chains will be accessible by removing the cam covers. To get to the other chains, doesn't it entail removing the heads etc.? I'd much rather that this didn't become a full engine refresh, if I can help it. I'd like to get this done in a month of nights/weekends etc. - six weeks on the outside. While I'll certainly open to address issues as I run into them, I'm not approaching this as a huge project. Removing the heads and/or separating the case halves qualifies as "a huge project" in my book. Had this problem surfaced last fall, I might have taken it on over the winter... Opposing view points/recommendations welcome.
Don't know how you managed to go from a suspected VarioCam solenoid/actuator problem to tearing the engine apart to replace cam chains.

The error code points to the VarioCam solenoid/actuator. Just working the solenoid using a Durametric only tells you at that time the solenoid is working.

When my Boxster manifested a bad solenoid/actuator I "fixed" this by turning off the engine and then upon restart just a few moments later the symptoms were gone and remained gone for a 30 mile drive back home. I'm pretty sure had I "tested" the solenoid with a Durametric it would have worked just fine.

If you believe the chains need to be replaced then you are faced with removing the engine from the car. The camshaft covers come off to get at the small chain that runs from the exhaust cam to the intake cam and upon/or against which the VarioCam actuator works to vary the intake cam timing.

To replace the cam chains that run from the IMS to the exhaust cam -- one at the front of the engine and one at the rear -- I'm not sure what is required to be disassembled and removed.

The same goes for the chain that runs from the crankshaft to the iMS.

While I don't think cases have to be split it is a major repair.

If you replace the chains you should consider replacing the chain guides/rails and the chain hydraulic tensioners too. If the chains are worn enough to justify replacement the sprockets have to be considered worn and in need of replacement too. From my motorcycle days one never just replaced a worn out chain wtihout also replacing the sprockets.

Quick Reply: CEL came back...Finally got around to getting a Durametric