996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

In the market for a 996!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:38 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Make sure and set up an emergency kit for the road trip. Tools, oil, coolant, extra belt etc...
Old 04-18-2017, 03:13 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Congrat's on the purchase! Looks like a beautiful car and the drive will be great. My only suggestion is to stay of the Interstate as much as possible.

FWIW, I think the wheels are Carrera Classics, which are 19".
Old 04-18-2017, 03:24 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Congrat's on the purchase! Looks like a beautiful car and the drive will be great. My only suggestion is to stay of the Interstate as much as possible.

FWIW, I think the wheels are Carrera Classics, which are 19".
Yes, those could be them. I will know more when I can see the tires. The dealer just put up the text from the option sticker and the previous owner changed some things, so I can't rely on the listing.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:27 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Make sure and set up an emergency kit for the road trip. Tools, oil, coolant, extra belt etc...

Oh yeah, Walmart is my first stop. I figure water (for me and the car), jumper cables and emergency kit (reflectors, first aid, etc.). Metric cross lug wrench if I can get one. Maybe a small cooler for the water. What other tools? A metric socket set?
Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Instead of jumper cables, I'd try something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Even though it's got a spare, I'd get a can of fix-a-flat and a compressor.

Under the spare tire cover there should be a little toolkit.

A couple quarts of oil would be good since you don't yet know how much it will use.

Make sure the washer fluid is topped up. You're going to hit lots of bugs!

Beyond that, I'd have a credit card and a fully charged cell phone. Realistically, there is not a lot of stuff that you would be able to DIY on the side of the road, since you would likely be limited by parts availability.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LIE842
+1 on the jump starter. I carry one in each car. It'll also recharge your phone if necessary, handy if you have a dead phone and a dead car.

Other than that, I'd plan on jugs of coolant, washer fluid, and oil. I think a 12v compressor and fix-a-flat is a good idea. Another thing I have in each car is a good headlamp and extra batteries, as well as a good flashlight. Simple problems get a lot more complicated when you can't see what you're doing.

Smaller roads are more fun, but those big, boring highways usually have much better cell coverage.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Dans996tt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Get one of the red emergency backpacks with all the earthquake supplies, we all carry them while in SoCal. Add some extra water and you're good to go. Walmart has them.

Dan
Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 PM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LIE842
I second this thought. After reading numerous post about not being able to open the Frunk and rear deck lid I carry this behind the passenger seat:
Amazon Amazon

I would add spare fuses. Long story short my dad had his lighter fuse go and could not charge his phone that he was also using for navigation. I also upped my AAA membership to plus so a tow up to 100 miles is covered.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats, it has all the right mods!

Who is doing the trip with you? I'd take my dog.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:19 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cadrega
Congrats, it has all the right mods!

Who is doing the trip with you? I'd take my dog.
If I had a dog, he'd be my first choice. It looks like a friend of mine can make it, which is great. We can cover more miles and now I have someone to drink with.

I am planning on getting a battery charger when I get out there (as well as all the other good ideas), I don't want any hassles with the airline.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:19 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats! Good luck on the trip.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
If I had a dog, he'd be my first choice. It looks like a friend of mine can make it, which is great. We can cover more miles and now I have someone to drink with.

I am planning on getting a battery charger when I get out there (as well as all the other good ideas), I don't want any hassles with the airline.
I hope she gives good ****!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Woohoo! We wrangled another sucker! Oops, I meant 'congrats and welcome to the team'. hahhahahhaaaaaa!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the car. As for the road trip, once you leave ABQ and go up the hill, put the hammer down, and drink lots of Monster or Rock and just boogie. Stop for gas and bladder, the rest of the road east is b-o-r-i-n-g.

Buy a radar detector. Ya know?
Old 04-20-2017, 02:55 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by docmirror
Woohoo! We wrangled another sucker! Oops, I meant 'congrats and welcome to the team'. hahhahahhaaaaaa!

I'm sure you'll be happy with the car. As for the road trip, once you leave ABQ and go up the hill, put the hammer down, and drink lots of Monster or Rock and just boogie. Stop for gas and bladder, the rest of the road east is b-o-r-i-n-g.

Buy a radar detector. Ya know?
Are you kidding, the threads on this forum almost scared me away. ha! But like I said before, not having the 928 I missed that feeling of, "when is my engine going to light on fire?" So here I am.

Got it about the radar. The only question is whether I get a radar detector out there or take the one I have. I am trying to pack light. I hope it's not boring after ABQ! I've got thousands of miles to go after that! For what's it worth, we're staying on the southern route as long as possible, which means we'll try to get through Memphis and Nashville, then head northeast. Looking forward to some decent barbeque, minimum.

Here is a link to the current route: https://roadtrippers.com/map?a2=t!17...23505031900865

Last edited by MikeinBloomfield; 04-20-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:03 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a 2002 c4s for $29k (USD) + 4.0 rebuilt engine!

Quick Reply: In the market for a 996!