996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

In the market for a 996!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:36 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks guys! All cool info. I had no idea that a liability release form was possible. Makes sense.

I plan on sightseeing. I am using a website called http://www.roadtrippers.com to do a little planning now, not knowing exactly where I am going. You tell it the route, and it suggests things to see along the way. Its pretty fun to play with.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:53 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Something else to keep in mind, when you find a car that you are really interested in, just ask and if someone is local you can probably get them to go look at it for you (Rennfax).

I just helped out another 928er on a Targa purchase, jatee has offered on that cheap C4, and you see it all the time. We're crazy, but we're a helpful bunch when we want to be.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:14 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gnat
Something else to keep in mind, when you find a car that you are really interested in, just ask and if someone is local you can probably get them to go look at it for you (Rennfax).

I just helped out another 928er on a Targa purchase, jatee has offered on that cheap C4, and you see it all the time. We're crazy, but we're a helpful bunch when we want to be.
Thanks guys, I am most definitely going to take advantage of that.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:29 PM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be nice if all the states had a common practice. Texas is also a plates stay with the car. Although, this makes it easier for the buyer can be problems for the seller. My neighbor sold his car and forgot to cancel the toll account. A month later he got a toll bill for $200 because of the license plate.

I think the drive idea sounds like a blast especially this time of the year. I was looking at a 996 cabri in Las Vegas and was thinking the Grand Canyon drive would be nice. Heading to NJ a spring ride along the Blue Ridge Parkway would be fun.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:32 PM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Something else to keep in mind, when you find a car that you are really interested in, just ask and if someone is local you can probably get them to go look at it for you (Rennfax). We're crazy, but we're a helpful bunch when we want to be.
Very true. Most of us are just looking for a reason to take one Porsche out to look at another. Thankfully, my 911 does not get jealous when I admire another 911's tail.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:23 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Hey All--

An update, I put a deposit down on this one:

http://www.smithmotorgroup.com/detai...-16290556.html

I bought it through the owner, not this dealer, so I got it cheaper than they listed. I am really happy with the car, even though I have yet to actually see it. I've spoken with the owner a few times and have a good feeling about the purchase. The VIN and Lien issues have been taken car of. The owner has agreed to keep the plates on it, so all I have to do is get the title and have it insured. Car had the IMS/RMS/Clutch done two years ago. It also has some suspension and exhaust upgrades. PPI'ed by SGS Independent Porsche in San Luis Obispo, and they found no major issues.

So, the plan is to fly out on April 28th, buy the car on the 29th and start driving. I've got the trip semi-planned out on Roadtrippers.com and if anyone is interested I'll start a new thread to document the trip. I will be taking the "southern" route on I-40 from California through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, then up through Virginia and on to the east coast. Any and all tips appreciated.

And thanks to everyone for all your feedback for cars I posted in the Craigslist thread. I learned a lot.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Very nice looking 996 coupe, congrats... Exterior & Interior colors look like mine, cool. Enjoy the drive back to NJ, weather is great now. I used to live in LA and took similar Route from LA through Arizona, Texas and Eastward then up North to Albany NY. I drove my Jeep JK up so it wasn't as fun as in a 996 for sure. Cheers,
Old 04-18-2017, 12:23 PM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Congratulations Mike,

Both your wishes came true in finding a 996 and you get to drive it cross country. I am sure you will have a blast. I would say keep a keen eye on the weather we seem to be having a "hail" of a spring here in TX.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:02 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

You did it exactly right Mike, took your time and did your research before finding the "one". Looking forward to your road trip thread. What type of wheels are those? They look slightly different from the similar factory version.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Beautiful car, Mike, congratulations

If your route through Virginia takes you near me I'd be happy to meet for coffee en route - would be a good excuse to get to know a couple of others on here, too. Whaddya say, Gnat? Arch1t3ct?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:18 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice looking car, Mike!!!!!

Congrats and best of luck on your big journey. Looking forward to your travel blog!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:18 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool spec 996, those wheels look great on it. Enjoy the drive-
Old 04-18-2017, 02:10 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Cool spec 996, those wheels look great on it. Enjoy the drive-
Thanks everyone! I am pretty excited about the car and the drive. I am not sure of the wheels. They look like JimmyB's wheels, so whatever those are I guess. They're round!

Beautiful car, Mike, congratulations

If your route through Virginia takes you near me I'd be happy to meet for coffee en route - would be a good excuse to get to know a couple of others on here, too. Whaddya say, Gnat? Arch1t3ct?
Happy to meet up! We are taking route 81, which allows us to avoid the DC/Baltimore Route 95 parking lot. So, if you can get that far west, let me know. Also, I am not entirely sure when I will be in your area. It will probably be Tuesday/Wednesday, but it could be three in the morning!
Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! You'll love it. The wheels appear to be MY '02 lightweights. They are considered a very desirable OE wheel by many people, and obviously weren't original equipment on your car. They could also be the newer version that was offered on the 997. It's hard to tell in the photos. Are they 19" or 18" diameter?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Congrats on the purchase! You'll love it. The wheels appear to be MY '02 lightweights. They are considered a very desirable OE wheel by many people, and obviously weren't original equipment on your car. They could also be the newer version that was offered on the 997. It's hard to tell in the photos. Are they 19" or 18" diameter?
dealer site lists them as 17s .... I agree they look like the lightweights from that model year only slightly different.

Quick Reply: In the market for a 996!