Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Lots of smoke and oil loss (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/981661-lots-of-smoke-and-oil-loss.html)

TonyTwoBags 04-03-2017 09:53 PM

why not just spend less?

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod15...Porsche-996_2/

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...747c27102e.jpg

Kalashnikov 04-03-2017 10:48 PM

Request the extension or whatever you have in Chicago for smog.

EMISSIONS TEST FAILURES

If your vehicle fails the emissions test, you must have the vehicle repaired, after which it must pass the after repairs emissions test. A Recognized Repair Technician should repair the vehicle.
If your vehicle is unable to meet the emissions standard following the necessary repair work, you may be able to obtain a waiver issued by VSD prior to registration.
You may apply for a waiver if the following apply:

Your vehicle has failed the initial test and a subsequent retest.
Your vehicle has received all repairs for which it is eligible under emission performance warranty.
All emissions control equipment is intact and operational visually.
You have spent at least $450 in emission related repairs. This amount is exclusive of repairs related to tampering.
A recognized repair technician performed the repairs.
All evidence of repair slips is presented at the facility.
Contact the VSD's Test Stations to request a waiver or call 847-758-3400 or 217-785-7449 for more information.

Andrewck 04-03-2017 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags (Post 14084213)

what's the consensus on the Design Tek vs Fabspeed? Looked like a couple of years ago a lot of people said Fabspeed had fit issues and I don't see those posts anymore. Hard to find much about the Design Tek on the forum.

Kalashnikov 04-03-2017 11:56 PM

Bam

Andrewck 04-04-2017 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov (Post 14084344)
Request the extension or whatever you have in Chicago for smog. EMISSIONS TEST FAILURES If your vehicle fails the emissions test, you must have the vehicle repaired, after which it must pass the after repairs emissions test. A Recognized Repair Technician should repair the vehicle. If your vehicle is unable to meet the emissions standard following the necessary repair work, you may be able to obtain a waiver issued by VSD prior to registration. You may apply for a waiver if the following apply: Your vehicle has failed the initial test and a subsequent retest. Your vehicle has received all repairs for which it is eligible under emission performance warranty. All emissions control equipment is intact and operational visually. You have spent at least $450 in emission related repairs. This amount is exclusive of repairs related to tampering. A recognized repair technician performed the repairs. All evidence of repair slips is presented at the facility. Contact the VSD's Test Stations to request a waiver or call 847-758-3400 or 217-785-7449 for more information.

thanks very much for the suggestion!

Macster 04-04-2017 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewck (Post 14083874)
Well, parts were delayed coming from Porsche and arrived late Friday so shop didn't do any work last week. Shop worked on the car today and apparently the diaphram housing on the new AOS is thicker than the old one, so additional delay in fitting new AOS. Tech finally started the car up at 400p and car is burning off a significant amount of oil. Shop stated it could take over an hour to burn off all the oil. May have to continue to run the engine in the morning if they can't finish tonight.

Sitting here anxiously and hoping cats aren't toast, though I feel they are. Messaged with Fabspeed today and there's a 5 week build time. My emissions test is due by end of month so looks like my options are more limited than I'd like them to be.

My 2002 Boxster experienced 3 AOS failures which at the end had the engine smoking like crazy and barely running. Two of these and maybe all 3 were with the original factory converters present.

After the AOS was replaced and after some engine run time -- after the 1st one the SM told me it can take "50 miles" -- to burn away all the oil the engine and converters were just fine.

If the converters were OK before the AOS failed it is very very likely they'll be ok afterwards.

I'd give the car a heck of a road test to work any residual oil out of the engine and get the converters up to operating temperature and keep them there for some time.

You can help the engine with Techron. I use a bottle that treats 20 gallons but dump the entire bottle into the 16+ gallon fuel tank and fill the tank full until the nozzle shuts off. Then drive the car normally. The general rule is if you notice any irmprovement from the engine to when the fuel tank level is down to say 1/4 a tank or a bit lower add a 2nd bottle of Techron and refill the fuel tanka and drive the car. After the 2nd tank with Techron is way way down it is best to change the oil/filter.

Schnell Gelb 04-04-2017 04:26 PM

In theory you can 'help' oil contaminated cats by soaking them in warm detergent water. Shake, rinse,repeat. Youtube.Be cautious. If you didn't clean oil that was pooling in various parts of the Intake system(Because of the failed AOS) it will be a waste of effort.It will also be confusing(at best) because despite fitting a good new AOS ,the car will still smoke from all the residual oil in the Intake. Lots of tedious cleaning required to prevent this.

Andrewck 04-05-2017 12:45 AM

Thanks Macster and Schnell, great tips. Shop actually changed the oil as level was low following the smokeshow from last week.

Got the car back today and the guys at the shop did a great job - ran the car for an hour this morning and by the time I picked it up, engine was smoke free. Too early to declare victory as I'll drive 100 miles or so to ensure no CEL comes on before taking it to emissions.

Need to change spark plugs for 2nd time in 1 month, but car is driveable, acceleration feels smooth, and there's a big smile on my face.

If emissions fails, looks like I can contest the ruling as I had more than $450 in emission related repairs...though I live in Illinois and would expect any contest to be a bureaucratic nightmare and cost me at least my firstborn and some kind of late fee.

Macster 04-05-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Andrewck (Post 14087410)
Thanks Macster and Schnell, great tips. Shop actually changed the oil as level was low following the smokeshow from last week.

Got the car back today and the guys at the shop did a great job - ran the car for an hour this morning and by the time I picked it up, engine was smoke free. Too early to declare victory as I'll drive 100 miles or so to ensure no CEL comes on before taking it to emissions.

Need to change spark plugs for 2nd time in 1 month, but car is driveable, acceleration feels smooth, and there's a big smile on my face.

If emissions fails, looks like I can contest the ruling as I had more than $450 in emission related repairs...though I live in Illinois and would expect any contest to be a bureaucratic nightmare and cost me at least my firstborn and some kind of late fee.

Why change plugs? If they were fine before the AOS failure and if the engine fires and runs with no untoward behavior they're fine. They might be a bit oily but this will burn off in no time. I mean the plugs get hot first in the combustion chamber since the plug tip is exposed to the combustion gases and it won't take but a handful of combustion cycles before the plugs are free of any oily residue.

When the 1st AOS failed I was ready to change everything: Plugs, coils, MAF, air cleaner, have the intake removed and cleaned out, have the converters removed and flushed with solvent.

SM said no need the residual oil from the AOS failure would work out of the engine/exhaust though it could take some time, the "50 miles" I mentioned in a previous post.

When the replacement AOS failed -- the 2nd failure - and then that failed -- the 3rd AOS failure -- in both cases I just had the AOS replaced and resumed using the car.

Had there been any issue I would of course dealt with it but there was none.

All I did was just give the car a road test near the dealer just in case the engine acted up. I do this after an oil change, new tires, any work done just be sure there is nothing amiss. In the case of the AOS repair after some driving time and around town driving best as with this type of driving generally the engine gets hotter -- leave the A/C off -- and the intake and AOS and other hoses that connect the AOS to the intake run hotter which helps thin out any oil and move it along -- the engine was fine.

After the 2nd AOS failure after a shake down drive around the dealer's area I drove the car approx. 90 miles to my parent's house and then after a few days driving the car back and forth between my hotel and their house to visit with them I drove the car 2K miles to home.

After the 3rd AOS failure I didn't drive the car 2K miles but I just resumed using the car as I had been using it before and there were no issues.

I mean of course it is your car and you do as you want but the plugs and what have you are almost certainly just fine.

Mark I 04-05-2017 05:13 PM

I totally agree with what Macster says, except the part about "it is your car and you do as you want." This isn't subject to any democratic processes. Leave the plugs alone.

Andrewck 04-06-2017 02:05 PM

Plugs not being touched - will address if performance changes. Thanks for taking the time to share opinions.