996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:57 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB
430 is priced way too high.

Azena - welcome and congratulations! Nice to see a ME that still has its original wheels. Enjoy
# 430 is a bargain compared to Millennium Edition prices in Germany! Check this out: https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...y=PS&scopeId=C

Quick update on the status of #164.... I got my rebuilt block back yesterday. Hoping to have the car on the road within the next month or so...
Old 04-23-2018, 04:52 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ME for sale close to me:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...518691100.html

153k miles but looks in good shape. I've emailed to point the owner over here!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:56 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

anyone know this car ? bad ECU ?

Vehicle does not run. Possible coding issue.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/c...573000721.html
Old 04-29-2018, 02:10 AM
MNC-I
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALCON,

It is time for me to formally join the club.
Just over two years ago, I purchased #602 from a civil engineer in Dallas, Texas.
It spent most of its life in Dallas and was serviced by the Dealer that is now Porsche of Plano.
I have seen all of the service records. The car has 119,000 miles. At 55,000 miles it went into the dealer for a water leak/over heating problem and came out with a new motor.
I've put 10,000 miles on it over the last two years (mainly because it was not used as a daily driver). I have a 99 Boxster with over 312,000 miles as a daily driver.
It is featured in an old Excellence magazine back in 2016 (the old this is what I paid for it this is what it has, and this is such a good deal you got;-)
Old 04-30-2018, 02:41 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Very nice car you have there.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:18 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Welcome! Great to see a ME on its original wheels, too
Old 06-05-2018, 02:05 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Sad ME on eBay in the UK - can't make out the number.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/porsche-9...-/372324561729

Tiptronic with broken transmission. Steering wheel wood is trashed, and the door trim has been painted. Quite like those wheels though
Old 06-07-2018, 02:38 PM
ejackson
2nd Gear

Default ME No. 167

Greetings - I'm a long time lurker and saw the registry thread and thought I'd include mine. It's no. 167. I'm in the LA area. I bought the car back in 2005 from a Bentley dealer with about 1k miles on it. It and a turbo had been traded in for a Bentley GT I believe.

It's been a fantastic car that I love driving. It was my daily driver for a few years and now I just maintain it as a second car. It was my first and only P-car and I had done my homework before purchasing so I obtained a powertrain warranty. At about 50k miles the IMS destroyed the engine and Pacific Porsche installed a crated replacement engine and a new clutch. It now has about 94k miles on it (44k on the new engine).

I've done a number of upgrades, although not to the engine. It's a 6-speed. I significantly upgraded the stereo system with new speakers all around, a double-din with Bluetooth for the phone and apple car play, and a fantastic Alpine D series amp. I bought a rear shelf subwoofer covered in natural carpet from a 2003 turbo that fits perfectly and replaced the 5.25 inch crap bose woofers inside it with new tang band ones. Waiting right now for the brackets to install it appropriately.

I'm about to send the cracked door box lids to the Texas company for resurfacing. I had the rims repainted chrome but I live at the beach and that didn't work all that well with the salt so I'm trying to figure out whether I want to redo them or buy some new rims. Also need to respray the front bumper and the plastic strip on one side of the roof as the paint is flaking off. Always garaged or covered with a car cover so the exterior and interior are not faded and in great shape.

I'm one of those who think the 996 gets a bad rap. It is a great driving car IMO. One of my brothers had several turbos model years 2012 and newer (now replaced with a Ferrari) and those cars while incredible are IMO far too big and unwieldy for my taste (as a sports car).

Anyway, nice to be a part of this registry for this one of a kind model.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:32 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ejackson
Greetings - I'm a long time lurker and saw the registry thread and thought I'd include mine. It's no. 167. I'm in the LA area. I bought the car back in 2005 from a Bentley dealer with about 1k miles on it. It and a turbo had been traded in for a Bentley GT I believe.

It's been a fantastic car that I love driving. It was my daily driver for a few years and now I just maintain it as a second car. It was my first and only P-car and I had done my homework before purchasing so I obtained a powertrain warranty. At about 50k miles the IMS destroyed the engine and Pacific Porsche installed a crated replacement engine and a new clutch. It now has about 94k miles on it (44k on the new engine).

I've done a number of upgrades, although not to the engine. It's a 6-speed. I significantly upgraded the stereo system with new speakers all around, a double-din with Bluetooth for the phone and apple car play, and a fantastic Alpine D series amp. I bought a rear shelf subwoofer covered in natural carpet from a 2003 turbo that fits perfectly and replaced the 5.25 inch crap bose woofers inside it with new tang band ones. Waiting right now for the brackets to install it appropriately.

I'm about to send the cracked door box lids to the Texas company for resurfacing. I had the rims repainted chrome but I live at the beach and that didn't work all that well with the salt so I'm trying to figure out whether I want to redo them or buy some new rims. Also need to respray the front bumper and the plastic strip on one side of the roof as the paint is flaking off. Always garaged or covered with a car cover so the exterior and interior are not faded and in great shape.

I'm one of those who think the 996 gets a bad rap. It is a great driving car IMO. One of my brothers had several turbos model years 2012 and newer (now replaced with a Ferrari) and those cars while incredible are IMO far too big and unwieldy for my taste (as a sports car).

Anyway, nice to be a part of this registry for this one of a kind model.
Nice, the Millenium edition is beautiful. Where did you do your sound system?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:58 PM
ejackson
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Nice, the Millenium edition is beautiful. Where did you do your sound system?
I had Al and Ed's in Santa Monica install the amp and the Double Din and wire the rear subwoofer - they did a good job except they didn't bracket down the subwoofer. They programmed the Double Din, put the mike in, etc. I did the research for the Double Din. I later replaced the speakers myself. The 5.25 inch door speakers are easy to replace but you need to follow the instructions for taking off the doors. The 4 inch speakers in the dash and on the sides are more of a pain to replace because you have to cut out the plastic housings from the old crap speakers and glue them on top of the new speakers. It takes a little time but it works. Sounds phenomenal.

South Bay Porsche gave me the info for a local Culver City Stereo shop to install the rear subwoofer once the brackets come in. I spoke to them - Haasse or something like that - and they clearly know the car and the rear subwoofer. Probably charge about $120 for the install. They told me to put some fiber fill inside the subwoofer and some Dynomat to help deaden it as the box is plastic - not the best housing for a sub.

I forgot to mention that I also tinted the windows. I'd love to buy some after market wheels - looking around now for those. Also just about to replace the passenger side window regulator - already replaced the driver side. I live in Manhattan Beach so I think I'll use Auto Werkstatt for that. I guess things never end with an 18 year old car. Fun though.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:08 PM
MNC-I
Intermediate

This is MNC-I, I’ve got #602. The previous owner had what I believed was a short in the wires leading to the 6 disc CD changer in the frunk (he showed me how to disconnect the two wires and reconnect them to make the CD changer work) otherwise I would get a NO CD CHANGER alert. Now I’ve been without a working CD Changer for about two years now. I even purchased another CD Changer, but it will not work. So I am now using a bunch of old cassettes that are over 30 years oldJ I probably will never replace my stereo unit, I enjoy looking at the GPS screen (If you want to call it that). I’m driving on a new road that is not on the screen but your icon is moving cross-country it gives you a new appreciation of how technology has moved on since 1999.Tinting the windows is on my to-do list, but replacing the seat covers (driver’s seat) is # 1 on my to-do list. The driver’s side upper left side booster developed some rips that are growing in size. Right now I have some covers called Chaps covering the rips. I plan on replacing the covers in the soft leather.As for wheels, I recommend you get the wheels on a 2001 Turbo. I’ve let the chrome (polished wheels) grow on me, but I’ve always been a chrome don’t get you home guy.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:14 AM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hello everyone, sorry I've been away for a bit. Thanks for posting and I've add the newest members to our registry.

Azena0001, what part of the world are you in and how many miles does your ME have?

MNC-I, any way you can show us the two wires to make the disc changer work? Mine is completely unresponsive. I've been using bluetooth cassettes which work well and have good sound but are tedious to turn off and on every time I get in to and out of the car. Also if I turn the volume up I can hear a distinct whine matching the engine speed that can get annoying during pauses or slow songs. I don't want to disrupt the elegant stock stereo, but I may run out of patience and go to an upgrade like ejackson.

I've been driving my ME a lot. I have about 65K now and I just replaced all four tires. I recently gave in to my desires and purchased a set of used BBS Sport Classic II wheels. Those are the best looking wheels of the era IMO. I plan to put them on this summer after a bit of refurbishing. I also got some new floor mats as the originals were toast. I went with Natural Brown and they look really nice. I should have sprayed some sort of scotch guard on them because, surprise! they get dirty easily. But they look great and match perfectly.

Post more pics and I will try to do the same.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:17 AM
MNC-I
Intermediate

SIMONRIPLFYI will take pictures of the connection as well as the rips in the leather and the chaps. Even though I had a PPI, I was too excited to see straight. Especially when the price went from $16,500 to $13,000. The prior owner claimed I knew more about the car than him. According to a very reputable leather seat repair shop the driver’s seat had been repaired and resprayed. I also do not understand how my wife’s Toyotas (Lexus RX330 and IS250) can have great wooden streering wheels and Porsche supplies a delaminating piece of overpriced feces. I might as well sell the extra CD changer w/CD cassette.

MNC-I
Old 06-12-2018, 03:05 AM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting find on ebay. Looking at other parts from this seller I'm going to assume ME #202 was parted out for some reason.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-PORSC...wAAOSww5hZHicA
Old 06-12-2018, 04:54 AM
MNC-I
Intermediate

Simonripley,

I think you are correct.
MNC-I

Quick Reply: 996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info