996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:44 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ukon
Thanks for the welcome.
I'm in Frederick, MD. What part of of Virginia are you in?
Falls Church. We should get you, me and Markar to Katie's Cars and Coffee at some point - would be great to have three ME's lined up together
Old 06-07-2017, 10:05 PM
markar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes we have to meet at Katie's ,Will be nice all three of us parking side by side��
Old 06-08-2017, 12:26 AM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TAZ40JAHRE
Two things...

First, just wanted to compliment you on the great work you're doing to maintain the enthusiasm for and heritage of these great cars. I manage the 911 40th Registry group and would be happy to chat with anyone who might like some insight into how we manage our group. I've always been fond of your cars.

Ted
Thanks, Ted. Yours is the model that led me to start this registry. I actually started it just to see if there were other Millennium Editions near me. Now that it's going I'd like to get as many owners as possible and share any updates, stories or projects on their cars here.

I've been extremely impressed by the folks who've joined. Of the 10 actual members on the registry we have a supercharged ME, a turbocharged ME, an original owner, an owner with less than 10k miles, someone who has transferred their ME across the Atlantic, and also someone who restored a Millennium Edition as a way to bond with the young sons of a close friend who was the previous owner that passed away.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing how you manage your group.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:04 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

My ME clicked through 140,000 miles yesterday - something of a milestone, I thought
Old 06-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimmyB
My ME clicked through 140,000 miles yesterday - something of a milestone, I thought
Nice! Definitely a milestone, not to mention you have the highest miles on the registry. Did the PO tell you why they rebuilt the engine at 50k? And hey, how about that steering wheel?

I'm getting ready to install a new starter motor this weekend if I get the chance. Got a grinding noise on cold startups.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:55 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Steering wheel pics coming, I promise! Definitely this weekend if not before.

Engine was a factory crate replacement under (CPO) warranty. Which is nice, because it means I know I have <90K on a "big bearing" IMS. The paperwork I have just says "broken tab on crankcase", which would mean anything ... sounds to me like a PO grounded it a little too hard, but who knows?

As well as the engine my ME had the pinion bearing done at around 128K, and new suspension, engine mounts and other bits shortly after I bought it. As a semi-daily driver it's superb and feels nothing like a 140k-mile car. The paint isn't perfect and the interior has a few flaws but to me this is a car for driving and enjoying. For those of you with low mileage ME's with original wheels and wood, though, be sure and keep 'em nice!
Old 06-09-2017, 01:28 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm looking at a 99 that has what looks like the ME wheels and are in great shape. If I get this car I don't want the wheels, any interest?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I'm looking at a 99 that has what looks like the ME wheels and are in great shape. If I get this car I don't want the wheels, any interest?

As much as I would love to get my hands on a chrome set to complete the original look, I've got to many other items on the to-do list this summer to justify. Don't suppose you'd like to do a straight up trade for my silver-painted versions?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:47 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonripley
As much as I would love to get my hands on a chrome set to complete the original look, I've got to many other items on the to-do list this summer to justify. Don't suppose you'd like to do a straight up trade for my silver-painted versions?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 PM
ukon
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Simonripley
That is a terrific find. Since it sat for 10 years did it need work to get running again? What are your plans for it, DD, weekend car, or just hold on to it?
Sorry for the delayed response, I wasn't getting notices.
The previous owner had replaced the tires as they were dry rotted and had both the fuel pumps in the tank replaced as well as having the tank cleaned out.
The only thing I replaced myself was the backup light switch and the oil. I scored a free check up by the local dealer in Rockville, MD and they discovered that the spray nozzles for the headlights are spraying in different directions and the windshield sprayers are not working (thinking both are clogged).
As far as use wise i drive it a little bit on the weekends for now. Sort of up in air of if I am going to keep driving it, abuse the hell out of it or hold on to it. Just kidding on the abuse part. Although i am finding it difficult to go from 4 digit mileage to 5 digits.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:17 PM
ukon
AutoX

Originally Posted by sapman
That is gorgeous.
Thank you
Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 PM
ukon
AutoX

Originally Posted by markar
Yes we have to meet at Katie's ,Will be nice all three of us parking side by side��
Sounds like a plan. Lets get this scheduled! I may have to trailer it down, lol. Dont want rack up the mileage.
Id like to see that turbo set up on yours.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:46 PM
ukon
AutoX

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Falls Church. We should get you, me and Markar to Katie's Cars and Coffee at some point - would be great to have three ME's lined up together
I think it would be pretty cool as well
Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM
'02onthebrain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#826 checking in, manual transmission. Purchased in Jan 2014 with 64k on the clock, sight unseen and put on a trailer in the middle of the winter from Chicago to PA. Original owner traded in the car for a Panamera. Car originally lived in Princeton, NJ, then Chicago and is now with me in Wayne, PA with a little over 68k. 100% bone stock (well, the chrome wheels were refinished silver by the PO) and I plan to keep it that way. I replaced the IMS, RMS, clutch and flywheel when I bought it and the car has been a dream to own since with zero maintenance other than oil changes.

I bought the car because it was the first Porsche I drove back in 2000. My best friend's father pre-ordered one and upon delivery proceeded to flip me the keys and said "have fun". I always said if I could buy one in the future, I would. I really enjoy the older age of the car, the full leather package, the ease of maintenance, and somewhat more modern touches (airbags, etc.) I sold my 1973 BMW 2002 for this car and have no fear putting my 7 year old in it.

PS-I had my steering wheel wood and leather redone and side door pocket panels redone by Craft Customs in Texas. They were able to match the wood exactly and it came out incredibly well for a very reasonable price. No affiliation with them and hope it is ok to post that little tidbit if it helps anyone with the cracking wood situation that is common to our cars.

Last edited by '02onthebrain; 06-19-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Originally Posted by '02onthebrain
#826 checking in.
Thanks for checking in,‘02onthebrain. Great story about obtaining your long sought after dream car. Everyone has those cars that just stay with you. I’ve lusted after several over the years and the 911was my number 1. I remember seeing the silver 996 from the film “Gone in 60 Seconds” (not a great movie). From that point on that’s the car I pictured when I thought of 911s even though I had loved them long before. But again it was during those formative years when I started appreciating cars.

I also enjoy the modern amenities ofour cars, i.e., airbags, side mirror dip, on-board computer, an A/C that actually works. J My wife was apprehensive about riding in it but now she thinks it's very comfortable.

Judging by the Wheel Dynamics thread, I think it’s ok to post about companies if you have personal experience with them. How about a pic of the final product?

Looks like you drive it sparingly with only 2,000 miles in 3+ years. I’ve put close to 1,500 miles since February driving the car Fri. Sat., and Sun. only. I also drove from Austin TX to San Antonio when I bought it, and made one round trip to Hutto, TX (2 hours away). I feel like it's only a matter of time now before I hit 55k.

Quick Reply: 996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info