996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info

Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Simon, MNC

There's a cable you can get that plugs into the back of the PCM-1 unit which disconnects the CD changer in favour of a 3.5mm jack. I have this connected to a USB-to-RCA converter, all neatly tucked behind the original radio and leading to a USB socket mounted on the clip for the owner's manual. Charges my 'phone (which lives on a vent clip to the left of the steering wheel) and plays music - not a bad solution for those who want to keep the original system in place.

Cheers

J
Old 07-18-2018, 02:27 AM
Chance Hales
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

So I came across this edition by accident today. I had a local ad open because it was a cheap, high miles 996 with an aero kit but questionable wheels on it. I noticed the odd paint color and thought perhaps it was just the way the seller's camera caught the light (think that stupid dress everyone argued over a few years ago). I also thought someone had swapped 911 badges on the back. The ad lists the car as a 911 4 so I was excited about that. Whatever I end up getting would be my daily, including through Utah winters. I showed the listing to a friend who clued in on the badges and pointed me towards this. Sure enough, it's a ME. I'm going to be looking at it in the morning. I have no idea what number it is but I'll update everyone when I find out. For 146k miles it looks like it's in pretty decent shape. The clutch is new, new tires, unknown on IMS/RMS but the seller said it looked like someone had been into it but had no documentation of it. The seller also owns a repair shop and has a lot of experience with German cars so that sounds promising. After researching this edition a little more I've noticed at least one of the wood armrests has been replaced with a gray one. That's ok by me, can't say I love wood in a Porsche. Save that for the British luxury cars. It also looks like the steering wheel has been rewrapped in leather. If it seems to be in good shape I'll get a ppi and probably buy it. Not going to post the listing but here are the photos from it.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Chance Hales
Instructor

UPDATE
It's number 196. The car is in good shape mechanically but the interior is definitely worn. It has 146k miles on it so that's to be expected. New clutch, brakes, unsure on the IMS but he says it looked like someone had done it but has no documentation on it. He has no idea that it's a Millennium Edition. He told me he thinks it was originally white and was repainted this color! Also said the wheel is the original leather when it has clearly been rewrapped. The wood on the doors is all cracked and needs to be replaced. The driver's side armrest he started to attempt to restore it but gave up. The wheels were on it when he bought it and says he was going to replace them.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:31 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I think I would jump at an Aerokit Millennium Edition...especially if it were cheap.
The interior parts, while not easy to find, would be easier to repair/replace than the painted Aerokit parts.
Engine and transmission could be easily(ish) replaced too.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Chance Hales
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I think I would jump at an Aerokit Millennium Edition...especially if it were cheap.
The interior parts, while not easy to find, would be easier to repair/replace than the painted Aerokit parts.
Engine and transmission could be easily(ish) replaced too.
Yeah, I don't mind the wood on the door handles but the armrests is a bit much for my taste. I'd probably just replace them with tan ones. I'd be curious to see what the wheel looks like under the leather wrap.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance Hales
UPDATE
It's number 196. The car is in good shape mechanically but the interior is definitely worn. It has 146k miles on it so that's to be expected. New clutch, brakes, unsure on the IMS but he says it looked like someone had done it but has no documentation on it. He has no idea that it's a Millennium Edition. He told me he thinks it was originally white and was repainted this color! Also said the wheel is the original leather when it has clearly been rewrapped. The wood on the doors is all cracked and needs to be replaced. The driver's side armrest he started to attempt to restore it but gave up. The wheels were on it when he bought it and says he was going to replace them.
Hola Chance, we chatted on instagram and I was wondering if you would find your way to this thread.

It sounds like the seller is less than familiar with these cars. The body and aero kit look great considering its age and mileage and make up for the beat-up interior. I bet that you can find some decent replacement parts over time online but it won't be fast and it might not be cheap. Some have had the the entire steering wheel redone.(pics in thread). I'd also pick up new floor mats and ditch the extended exhaust tips. And of course wheels.

Let us know how the PPI goes.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Chance Hales
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simonripley
Hola Chance, we chatted on instagram and I was wondering if you would find your way to this thread.

It sounds like the seller is less than familiar with these cars. The body and aero kit look great considering its age and mileage and make up for the beat-up interior. I bet that you can find some decent replacement parts over time online but it won't be fast and it might not be cheap. Some have had the the entire steering wheel redone.(pics in thread). I'd also pick up new floor mats and ditch the extended exhaust tips. And of course wheels.

Let us know how the PPI goes.
I wondered about the exhaust. It looked different but I wasn't sure if that was part of the ME or if it was aftermarket. I don't mind them I don't think. But yeah, the wheels will be the first to go. I plan on daily driving the thing (why not with those miles?) including in the snow so these might become my snow tire wheels for a while. We'll see. New trim pieces are pricy but Porsche!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:32 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance Hales
I wondered about the exhaust. It looked different but I wasn't sure if that was part of the ME or if it was aftermarket. I don't mind them I don't think. But yeah, the wheels will be the first to go. I plan on daily driving the thing (why not with those miles?) including in the snow so these might become my snow tire wheels for a while. We'll see. New trim pieces are pricy but Porsche!
No kidding about the trim pieces. Last time I checked the wood pieces located on the doors are sold as a 4-piece set for about $1,400!

What's the story on the orange boxster?

Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 PM
Chance Hales
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simonripley
No kidding about the trim pieces. Last time I checked the wood pieces located on the doors are sold as a 4-piece set for about $1,400!

What's the story on the orange boxster?
I figure on just getting leather armrests and maybe keep the wood for the handles. The wood ones are $1400 on Suncoast. I didn't realize it was a set of all 4 so that's a lot nicer than I originally though. It thought that was the price for one piece!

The Boxster is a 08 Limited Edition (I'd have it as my sig but that feature isn't available for me yet). 194/250 Base car. There's also 250 Ss but they are numbered separately. It's basically the color, unique bumpers, a Cayman spoiler instead of the flap, and Alcantara everything. The wheel is from a GT3 and they all came with PSE. Just like with this ME, I had no idea the LE existed and thought the listing was making stuff up to try and make a sale. My wife wanted a convertible so we were looking at Miatas, Z4s, Mustangs but one day I searched for Boxsters just for kicks. I always wanted a Porsche after working for a dealer for a little while. Her favorite color is orange so when I came across the car I knew we had to get it. We've had it for almost two years now. Put nearly 20k on it too! But it is her car not mine. I had a BRZ there for a while and I loved it but then we got the Boxster and I knew I wanted another. I have been Cayman/996/997 hunting ever since. Can't quite make a 997 work right now so I decided if the right 996 came along I'd consider it. So it'll be kinda funny having two numbered cars that would have totaled up to less than the current going rate for a 997 4S!
Old 07-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Chance Hales
Instructor

Ok guys, #196 will be mine in the morning! PPI was today. Came back with some concerns but nothing out of the ordinary for a 147k mile car. Window regulators are worn, battery is low but ok for now, "multiple faults stored in vehicle central locking system and headlight beam adjustment modules," said that was most likely due to the battery. Has an oil leak from a canister oil filter conversion, slight steering vibration from a bent wheel, IMS does not appear to have been replaced. A brake pad sensor is faulty but the brakes are fine, "front tie rod assemblies have excessive play," front LCA bushings are worn but ok, the struts are leaking and need to be replaced, and the front left axle boot needs to be replaced. So it's a long list but nothing out of the ordinary really. Carfax shows that it has been here in Utah all it's life. Couldn't be more excited! And I am getting it for a freaking steal, $14500!

I already have a quote out for the struts and axle boot. Going to go with Bilstein B8s.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:31 PM
amosalik
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello all!
I have acquired JimmyBs' 996 a month ago. Current ODO reads about 143,100. Id like to thank JimmyB for helping me all through the process of acquiring my first 911. Through my first month, I've changed the tranny fluid, put back the stock resonator and worked a little on removing paint chips. She is an absolute blast to drive, and boy isn't she beautiful!

Old 08-03-2018, 04:05 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Stunning pictures - I’m so pleased she’s in good hands
Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 PM
amosalik
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Stunning pictures - I’m so pleased she’s in good hands
Thank you! It is just unbelievable how good of a condition she was in to begin with. All thanks to you!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:32 PM
Chance Hales
Instructor

#705 is listed on PCA. 33k miles, Tiptronic, looks really clean.
https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/329737
Old 08-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Joost Peters
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my virtual friends.

No 752 is located in the Netherlands! 162 k km, and still driving like new... Nice to read all your stories and experiences.

Regards

Last edited by Joost Peters; 08-25-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typos

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info