Sponsored by:

Solved - Check Engine + ABS + PSM Errors Gone after MAF

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved - Check Engine + ABS + PSM Errors Gone after MAF

2003 C4S. My ABS/PSM lights went on about a week before I put the car away for the winter. Shortly thereafter the Check Engine ("CEL") light also went on. OBD was telling me it was a MAF issue, but I didn't think this was related to the ABS/PSM. The shop down the road just had an OBD scanner and not anything Porsche specific.

I bought a cheap MAF on eBay that came with the security torx. Install took me about 25 minutes. The ABS/PSM lights never came back on but the CEL remained. I drove it for about 10 minutes and the CEL finally went away. So nice to have a clean dashboard and I was able to actually fix it myself!

Anyway, I'm just posting this because when I was searching the forum for answers, the ABS/PSM issue did not seem to go hand-in-hand with the MAF failure.

I went with the cheap MAF just because I wasn't sure if it was the issue. For 50 bucks it was worth finding out. Should I upgrade to a Bosch or OEM MAF or just wait for this one to fail?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There are 2 MAF part numbers. New & old.
To get the correct one, start with the Porsche part number for your year. Do not rely only on an Interchange part number.If it has the correct part number .it is O.K. A quick visual is the droopy 'nose' on the later MAF. You'll see the difference when you start lookingat the alternatives.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:32 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

had the same thing 2 weeks ago when I took the 4.0 out of storage. CEL, PSM and ABS light came on.

"great....NOW what?"

plug in scanner.. code for MAF. light bulb goes off in my head as I was doing some work on it over the winter and I probably forgot to plug the MAF in. low and behold....open the trunk lid and sure enough I forgot to plug the MAF back in.

plugged it back in...started the car...clear of any lights. sweet!
Old 03-23-2017, 05:26 PM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad that you got it cleared up. I experienced that about a year ago. Being the cheap SOB that I am, I cleaned the MAF sensor with this and all was good with the world and has remained so.

Quick Reply: Solved - Check Engine + ABS + PSM Errors Gone after MAF