Sponsored by:

AC/Climate Control only blowing hot

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC/Climate Control only blowing hot

My 2003 996 Cab C2's A/C (climate control) only blows hot air, no matter what setting. Just blazing hot, even if compressor shows "on" and on lowest temp setting. Defrost is off, obviously. Temperature of blown air is not modulating based on temperature setting. Just stuck on "hot." Just started blowing hot in all settings; I did not drive it much this winter - a tough winter in the Pacific NW and it's a cabriolet. So it sat a lot.

Is there a way to reset the climate control system? Sensor issue?

Any tips appreciated.

Steve G
Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve,
As they say, I feel your pain. Seriously, I had the very same thing happen to our 2003 C2 two years ago. Driving along with the HV/AC on "auto" when all-of-a-sudden, nothing but heat!
OK, here is the long story short. Look and see if the arm on the downside of your AC unit under the dash in the foot well of the passenger side is still connected to the flapper valve that controls the split of hot or cold air into the cabin. In my case, the control arm suddenly disconnected from the flapper valve (mixer), so only hot air was coming into the cabin.
If this is the case, be aware that the the entire AC portion that this is a part of is considered by Porsche to be a single unit and individual parts are not available. The Porsche list price to replace the AC unit is astronomical and the used parts are almost "unobtanium" in nature. I tried to use epoxy to re-connect the arm to the bottom of the mixer valve, but it soon failed. In the photo I have attached, you can see the culprit; The arm from the pink part is supposed to connect up with the bottom of the flapper valve. But, as you can see, there is no connect. The end of the connecting arm has dropped off of the end of the flapper.

Observe the end of the connecting arm not connected to the base of the flapper (mixer) valve.

Base of the mixer valve is supposed to mate with the connecting arm from the temperature control motor that controls cabin temperature by mixing cold and hot air. Failure led to only hot air entering cabin.
Here is what I did to repair my car: Since epoxy cement failed to hold the connection arm to the bottom of the mixture valve, I went to a hardware store and bought a $3 spring. I stretched it over the connecting arm in such a way that it held the end of the arm into the orifice at the end of the mixer flap. Problem solved for $3! Two years now and no problem with the HV/AC.
Good luck!

Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 PM
giese639
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks so much for the great information and the very quick reply! Just a couple follow-ups if you don't mind: I couldn't tell from your picture where the flapper valve connection is located. If you could somehow identify that, that would be great. And, did you use the spring you bought at the hardware store to repair the break? I'm not visualizing how you used a spring to connect the end of the rod to the flapper valve...if you have any further information on this connection, I will owe you. Thanks again, Steve
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I experienced something similar. When I bought my '04 it would only blow hot. It was only due to the linkage to the flap coming loose. Snapped it back into place and all is good. 15 minute job total.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 PM
GelberPfeil
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a photo of the bottom of a used AC unit that I took on the bench at my shop so I could get an idea of what things looked like. You can see where you might be able to snag a spring on some places. I also attached a photo of what the part that connects to the bottom of the flapper valve looks like. This is the part that needs to connect up inside and be held there in place. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: AC/Climate Control only blowing hot